Optimism Resources

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
daylen

Re: Optimism Resources

Post by daylen »

jacob wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:20 am
Complex thinking is not hard to learn. The hard part is unlearning "complicated thinking". It requires a paradigm shift. As such, the "dinosaurs" might need to die off.
It is also possible that the top-down complicated solutions will enable more bottom-up complexity which in turn phases out complications slowly. Stress that tends to trap people in complicated career/life paths may be massively alleviated through automation long enough for people to establish a more complex ecosystem of global villages that do not require as many complicated solutions. It would probably be best to avoid a punctuated equilibrium if gradualism is an option. It seems like the creative potential of the world is massively constrained currently but just a little bit of slack could change the dynamics rapidly.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

daylen wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:42 am
It is also possible that the top-down complicated solutions will enable more bottom-up complexity which in turn phases out complications slowly. Stress that tends to trap people in complicated career/life paths may be massively alleviated through automation long enough for people to establish a more complex ecosystem of global villages that do not require as many complicated solutions. It would probably be best to avoid a punctuated equilibrium if gradualism is an option. It seems like the creative potential of the world is massively constrained currently but just a little bit of slack could change the dynamics rapidly.
I think that's hoping that some rungs of the ladder are unneeded if we climb fast enough.

Me being cynical is more likely to believe that automatization will trap people in apartments watching pr0n and cats while getting all their needs delivered to their front door by Amazing(tm) (NYSE: AMZG). IOW, I don't think there's some kind of creative potential waiting to be unleashed if only people had their needs covered.

daylen

Post by daylen »

It could be the same arc as post-retirement. People eventually get bored and go connect with others or something. I think perhaps virtualism will be a trend that changes when it becomes less cool.
Last edited by daylen on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

No but there’s potential for a potential for sure. Behaviourists had some good points, if only the runway is long enough then you’ll get good quality people. For now it is like foraging in the wild to find them.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

daylen wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:05 pm
It could be the same arc as post-retirement. People eventually get bored and go connect with others or something. I think perhaps virtualism will be a trend that changes when it becomes less cool.
I have known a good amount of pensioners in my life, I can't think of one which matches this description. They all have their little routines, none of which involves innovation. I agree with Jacob - neccesity is a mother of invention, and UBI will remove neccessity from people's lifes. If people eventually get bored, they'll direct their energy to finding new ways to keep them entertained (like downloading new mods for their favourite video game etc.).

daylen

Post by daylen »

Not exactly apples to apples comparison since prison is a stressful environment. No reason entertainment cannot be a web of goals.

daylen

Post by daylen »

If you think about it, life isn't necessary but we believe it is so we act like it is. Now imagine this form of existential crisis being common. May lead to something like widespread religion but perhaps more informed and flexible.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

daylen wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:22 pm
Not exactly apples to apples comparison since prison is a stressful environment. No reason entertainment cannot be a web of goals.
Was this in reference to my post? I mentioned pensioners, not prisoners.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Oh my bad, ha. Well, I could potentially be way off base here but it is probably worth exploring every path we can.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Some good scales superlinearly with city size like innovation and wealth. Some bad scales superlinearly with city size like crime, madness, and disease. Virtualism or the internet potentially preserving the good and alleviating the bad. Civilization to Civium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGWl5R78JY