Donating Plasma for Money

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Just to clarify, I only started thinking about this as a way to monetize ALL assets, even less obvious or intangible ones such as a healthy body, as a means of supplementing my regular income. I see that as resourceful, not desperation or failure. This is a "making quick money" idea, not a vital part of my financial plan. Regardless, it seems like it's more hassle than it's worth, considering the seedy reputation and all. Speaking of seedy, did someone mention donating sperm as an alternative? (Sorry, had to.)

guitarplayer

Donating Blood/Plasma for more than Money

Post by guitarplayer »

Here's another reason to donate blood it reduces forever chemicals in your body.

That guardian article is inspired by this study of 3 x 95 Australian firefighters. Spoiler: donating plasma works better than donating blood for reducing forever chemicals (PFASs) from bloodstream, but it might just be that this is because it can be done more often.

I went to donate blood last Sunday and next time I go I will mention that I am keen to move to donating plasma.

*This thread got revived due to another thread on phthalates or plasticisers in food storage. These chemicals are not the same as PFASs and so long I can tell, it cannot be said that donating blood works for ridding of the former. This it would be down to how plasticisers are stored in the body.

** I notice the thread is in the Money and Investment Questions which is maybe not the best place for it to sit, then again all things are connected!

mathiverse

Re: Donating Plasma for Money

Post by mathiverse »

Here is a related thread which discusses donating blood and plasma to reduce PFAS in your body and other PFAS mitigation methods: viewtopic.php?t=12195.

This thread is in the money section because the original focus was using plasma donation at for-profit places as another income stream. In some countries, one is paid to donate plasma. In some countries like the UK, you aren't paid. The thread was started before anyone (most people?) were considering plasma donation with a 0th order goal of reducing toxins in their body.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Perfect, thanks @mathiverse! I will amend the post in the plasticisers thread.

plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

FWIW, the red cross does charge hospitals for blood (they call it cost recovery).
Plasma is used to make factor products (kcentra plus many others), and albumin. I'm sure the drug companies are making quite a bit of money from the products they make from plasma, but those products are absolutely life saving.