I love the Flowbee.. a BIFL recommend?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
JamesR

I love the Flowbee.. a BIFL recommend?

Post by JamesR »

Just cut my hair with the Flowbee I bought for my dad in 2010. Another great hair cut. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

You know how the best hair is usually a few days after a haircut - once those cuts have become less obvious? Flowbee gives you that right away.

I would estimate it's been used at least 60 times by now, which probably means it has saved us close to $1500.

I think it could be a strong contender for BIFL status. Some of the original plastic hair guide pieces broke, but the replacement plastic pieces from amazon/ebay are much sturdier and should last longer. The blades probably could use a bit of sharpening, but I haven't bothered to get around to that, but I saw it's possible via youtube.

Does anyone else have a flowbee? I kinda expect this crowd to be flowbee owners to some extent. Unless y'all are just doing it the hard way with clippers.

George Clooney is a big fan of his Flowbee too haha, which he's apparently been using for 25 years. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/georg ... e-clooney/
Last edited by JamesR on Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sclass

Re: I love the Flowbee.. a BIFL recommend?

Post by Sclass »

I recall they were expensive but they paid for themselves if you went to the salon for a cut regularly. Looked like a good idea. Did it come with a shop vac?

I just realized this thing is just begging to be 3D printed. I may make one for my beard trimmer. No more hair up top.

There are quite a few vacuum adapters for common trimmers at Thingiverse and Printables. And some guys are just making them out of tape and cardboard.

https://www.printables.com/model/117267 ... -kut/files

JamesR

Re: I love the Flowbee.. a BIFL recommend?

Post by JamesR »

I found my receipt: I paid $69.95 for the Flowbee system and $28.00 for shipping to Canada. Grand total of $97.95. I didn't need a shop vac as the house had built-in vacuum system.

Looks like the Flowbee system currently goes for $149.95 nowadays. $69.95 to $149.95 in 13 years, I guess that's 6% annual inflation, quite high.

I love that idea about using a Conair + some 3d printed vacuum adapters, that's cool!