What books are on your annual reading list?

Your favorite books and links
Scott 2

Re: What books are on your annual reading list?

Post by Scott 2 »

Divandan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:51 am
Goodbye Things by Fumio Sasaki
This the only book I've reread in the past year. For such a simple message, it's remarkably impactful.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

To answer the question from the thread, I've reread these books several times:

Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lund Fisker
Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

To continue the blog discussion, I've thought about this many times since first reading the blog post. I've thought about having a list of 12 books that I reread every year, and modifying the list once I've internalized the lessons from the book or moved on from it. I think I never did because I didn't have enough books that I just loved that much, but maybe I'll start this upcoming year with a list of "the best I've got right now."

I wondered aloud at EREfest whether reading a book was beneficial at all if I don't put what I learn to use. @mountainFrugal thought that is was useful to still read books because some small fragment remembered could be useful down the line. The struggle I have is that it seems like every book from the ERE sphere makes me question some major aspect of living, but I'm not skillful or motivated or *something* enough to integrate everything from every book I read, so I'm left with just the 'knowledge' that I'm doing everything wrong and the world is f*cked.

Divandan

Post by Divandan »

@Grundomatic, that is a thought that has crossed my mind as well.

I think I have to stop myself from reading books that are in my comfort zone where there is not much-added utility (simplicity, Buddhism, minimalism, etc.), which is why I am starting to shift back to fiction a bit. But for something like gardening/permaculture, where I don't know much or the best way to get started, there is a lot of bang for the buck there for me, but I still need to have the application as well to the ideas presented.