Hello from the Midwest!

Say hello!!
mk4

Hello from the Midwest!

Post by mk4 »

Hey folks!

I've enjoyed reading some of the discussions here, especially journals like C40 and DutchGirl, and figured I'd dip my toes in the water. It's been interesting to read about how people in the community are living and saving; I might start a journal some day, but I'll need to figure out exactly how much I want to share. Every time I come across a redacted comment, I think - hmm, I wonder what the story is here? Of course, I understand not wanting to share lots of personal (especially financial!) details on a public and persistent forum.

I'm a single guy in my late 20s in a certain city with four stars on the flag. Coming to ERE from mostly MMM/FIRE land, but I'm getting more and more interested in the upskilling/Renaissance-man aspect. It's a little trite to solve a problem by amazon prime-dropshipping something to your doorstep, no? Plus, I'm pretty motivated by the environmental and ethical impacts of overconsumption, and find it empowering to look at things as skills/habits that can be learned and practiced over time.

Some things going for me: I don't own or use a car (rideshare a handful of times per year); earn a solid income and save around 40-50%; lots of my interests are free/cheap (read, cook/bake, bike, climb)

Some things working against: I live alone in an apartment that is much larger than what I need and is also poorly insulated in a cold climate (I'll be looking for a roommate when my lease is up); some expensive therapy and doctor visits (although they're valuable - I'll work on self-coaching too); have historically bought new goods that I don't strictly need (focusing on mindful/necessary purchases and secondhand whenever possible).

I think that's all for now. Thanks for reading!

AxelHeyst

Re: Hello from the Midwest!

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome!

My rule of thumb for posting things on the internet is: I try to assume that everything I post will get attached to my real name and face one day and mailed to my mom, the press, and the fbi. If I'm thinking about posting something that I'm not cool with those people reading, I don't post it. :D

sodatrain

Re: Hello from the Midwest!

Post by sodatrain »

Welcome! Had to ask ChatGPT which city has 4 stars on the flag!

I'm from the midwest too - a little to the northwest from you.