What have your (long term) investment returns been

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
alex123711

What have your (long term) investment returns been

Post by alex123711 »

Anyone that has been keeping track of their annualized returns for 10+ years? Even if you buy/ hold index funds its possible your returns will be more or less than the benchmark due to varying reasons. I think anything less than 10+ years is just noise though, 10 is probably still too short if anything.

take2

Re: What have your (long term) investment returns been

Post by take2 »

9.96% on all accounts for the last 10 years, according to my brokerage. That compares with:

12.79% (S&P)
0.74% (US Aggregate Bond Index)

Over the same time period; these apparently are the standard benchmarks of my brokerage. Seems quite favourable to me as I don’t own 100% equities (though there were times in the last 10 years that I wasn’t too far off of that.

I have a few different accounts, and interestingly one of them is only down c. 2% in the last year vs. -14.61% (S&P) and -15.68% (Bond). I purposely set up that account to focus on income via dividend stocks, so it’s mainly bluechip companies within telecoms, oil, REITS, healthcare and very underweight tech. It has lagged for years but nice to see it holding up in current environment.

Separately but related, I have always wondered what ppl actually mean by “beating the market”. Is the market just defined as 100% of S&P, i.e 100% large cap US equities?

basuragomi

Re: What have your (long term) investment returns been

Post by basuragomi »

Ten year CAGRs:
Time-weighted: 6.4%
Dollar-weighted: 11.2%
S&P500 in CAD: 13.8% (excluding dividends)
Net worth: 44%
Expenses: 9.6%