What's your digit ratio?

Your favorite books and links
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I don't like quiet meditation. Observing the thoughts that pop up seems to encourage them. I prefer to train my conscious mind to ignore them or suppress them. I've read that people react emotionally to thoughts (if a loved one is late getting home and you imagine that they've been in an accident, your body reacts as if they did). That seems like wasted emotional energy at best, and damaging energy at worst. Why go through that?
I prefer training my mind to think of only one thing at once.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/09/unitaski ... g-run.html
-------

Ego has been downright agreeable of late. I'm starting to think someone hacked into his account :-)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Don't mean to derail the thread thread but meditation is more than just sitting and observing thoughts. For it to be effective you should focus on your breath or a chant/phrase. If you find your mind wandering, let it and try to return your focus to your breath/chant. With practice, your mind becomes quiet and you reap all the benefits of meditation.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego has been downright agreeable of late. I'm starting to think someone hacked into his account :-)
Geez... A few of the women in my class said the same thing the other day. I'm going to have to rethink this whole meditation thing. :)

Ego

Re: What's your digit ratio?

Post by Ego »

Along the same lines as digit ratio that shows how fast the world it changing.
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... eper-today
Cecilia Pemberton at the University of South Australia studied the voices of two groups of Australian women aged 18–25 years. The researchers compared archival recordings of women talking in 1945 with more recent recordings taken in the early 1990s. The team found that the “fundamental frequency” had dropped by 23 Hz over five decades – from an average of 229 Hz (roughly an A# below middle C) to 206 Hz (roughly a G#). That’s a significant, audible difference.
The researchers concluded it was purely the result of the new power dynamics between men and women. I sure wish they measured the digit ratio of the participants. I'd be willing to bet they indicate at least some fetal hormonal differences as well. Either way, interesting.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

C'mon, Ego, don't you sometimes like to break into your falsetto in the shower when the spirit moves?

I think it's more cultural than hormonal. The male voice lowers at puberty due to widening of the larynx, but the female voice lowers primarily due to lengthening, which also renders the female voice more "breathy" (why Jessica Rabbit sounds female even though low frequency.) The self-aware meta-modern cis-female will choose her register along with her words. For instance, if I am uttering a sentence with the word "adorable" in it, I am likely also choosing my high register. If I am uttering a sentence with the word "paradigm" in it, I am likely also choosing my low register.

Also, different languages tend more one way or the other. I have a fairly low voice for a native English speaker, but I've been told that I sound like Minnie Mouse when I attempt Arabic.

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:49 am
I think it's more cultural than hormonal.
Maybe. I agree they are both involved. The cultural influence is certainly increasing. The jury is still out on the hormonal influences but it seems that prenatal exposure to phthalates influences other measures of masculinity in women.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 201831136X

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Like 7w5, my guess is that the cultural component outweighs the hormonal component on the voice register thing. I lower my voice at work and in other settings where I want to be “taken seriously”. I’ve definitely noticed other women my age do the same— I can tell often with friends I know from work and outside-of-work settings, their voices change quite a lot. See, e.g. Elizabeth Holmes as another example of this phenomenon. My guess is that it tracks with female labor force participation rate.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Depends if we're talking about feet and/or hands. My second toe to first toe ratio is pretty long, considering its a Morton's Toe.

I literally have a long and skinny and a short and fat.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I am on the higher side with a digit ration on one hand of ~1.04 and the other ~1.09. I see that suggests that I may have more issues with things like heart disease and family genetics would suggest the same. I refuse to accept that as determined and am bolstered by the fact that only ~20% of our long term health is affected by genetics, the rest is determined by lifestyle (per Dr. David Sinclair).