Monthly water utilities usage?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Rex

Post by Rex »

I saw a glimpse of this past month's water usage and was appalled; I know my mum runs the washing machine seemingly twenty-four hours a day, but the water usage stats confirmed it. :/
In the last thirty day period, my parents' household used 4700 gallons of water, which is, in my opinion, absolutely insane. :/
How many gallons of water do you guys typically consume on a monthly basis?

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Are you sure there is no leak? It's amazing how much water will be wasted by a slow drip out of a faucet or outside hose.

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

10-12k depending on the weather. I have 2 people and a toddler who wears cloth diapers that get washed every other day and water my garden in the desert daily.
When I had a huge leak in the main pipe to the house my usage spiked up to 30k. I think lila is right, you might have a leak.

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

wait, 4700 or 47,000? My water company charges $1 per k for the first 5k gallons and then it goes up from there. At 10k my water bill is about $15/mo.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

I usually use only 2 or 3K gallons per month...4700 doesn't seem really out of line for more than one person.
My water bill is around $50 every month...its the extras and fees I can't stand.
Bill for October: $49.83 Water consumption 2K Gallons.
Water $ 8.24

Sewer $15.77

Garbage $19.00(#)

Stormwater Utility $ .82

Stormwater Utility $ 5.13

Utility Tax $ .82
# The Garbage is what really frosts me...Twice a week pickup and I have the smallest Hobo the city provides (fee is based on Hobo size) and I RARELY put the darn thing out more than once or twice a month...then they will tell you you have to take (item) to the landfill (and pay extra) yourself as we don't pick that up.
I cut down a large tree in the back yard and put some of the wood (ear tree..useless for anything, even firewood, and dangerous...topple easy in storms) out for them to take...said no I had to pay extra and take it to the landfill myself. If its in the Hobo though they have to take it. Chunk of tree went under regular garbage in the Hobo and in about 9 months it was all gone.
I wish garbage was like that in parts of Europe...your trash can has a bar code and its scanned by the people on the trash truck when its emptied....you're charged so much each time they empty it...not a flat rate every month emptied or not.

Rex

Post by Rex »

@Mirwin: 4,700 Gallons for a three-person household.
I know the house has at least one minor leak for the shower, but due to how the house was constructed in the seventies, the piping is sandwiched between the exterior brick and the shower's tile-on-chicken-wire-backing; the only way to access the piping in it's current condition is to effectively demolish the shower. Actually, the only way to even access the piping is via a useless four inch wide "access" hole in the basement. :/