COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
George the original one

Re: COVID-19

Post by George the original one »

fiby41 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:47 am
Yesterday Chinese troops crossed the border at Sikkim near the pass connecting the Seven Sister States to the Gangetic planes and were sent back.
Does that happen often?

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

CS wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 am
@steveo73

Your arguments wrt vitamins would hold more weight if you posted references. This forum loves, LOVES data.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-l ... ncer-cure/
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-vi ... poisoning/
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/should ... ent-falls/

There are so many citations in those videos you should be set for a while. Sometimes vitamins work. Sometimes they don't. The studies in general aren't clear cut. It's hard to get good quality data. I reckon nutritional science would be another massive topic. So much poor quality science that is statistically significant via the studies. We saw some examples in this thread.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Wishing you better health whatever it is 7.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wow! spain’s oldest woman just beat covid

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52641659

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 pm
wow! spain’s oldest woman just beat covid

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52641659
This is pretty awesome.

Wishing 7w5 well too.
Last edited by steveo73 on Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Yeah, there was a 102-year old Italian woman who also survived after a three-week stay in hospital (no ventilation). They called her 'the Highlander'

Godspeed on your recovery, 7w5

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

George the original one wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Does that happen often?
In Tibet, India lost a buffer state. Along with Buddha, Tibetan Buddhism also accepts Vedic Indra, Tantrik Goddesses, Pauranik Kuvera, alphasyllabery instead of hieroglyphs,...
So the cultural continuity was also lost.

Part of Kashmir was lost in the defeat of 1962. The then PM tried to save face by saying not a blade of grass grows there. The leader of opposition retorted not a strand of hair grows on your head either, does that mean it should be cut off and served on a platter? China Pakistan Economic Corridor is being planned to pass through this area. Confrontations have happened here twice in the past 2 years.

Doklam plateau is an area between Bhutan and India bordering China. China started building a road to reach there to which Bhutan objected and India intervened in 2017. Skirmishes have been happening once every year since then.

String of pearls are Chinese ports in the Indian Ocean. China additionally claims the state of Arunachal Pradesh. In the last week a Chinese mouthpiece shared a photo of the tallest Himalayan mountain which is in Nepal claiming it to be Chinese.

C40

Post by C40 »

Updates from Vietnam:

they ended most of the ~lockdown type restrictions around April 22. Most businesses were allowed to reopen.. Just not some things like bars, karaoke lounges, dance clubs, or massage parlors. I believe that now most of those can operate. The coffee shops that I regularly went to started out pretty empty but have built up over the last few weeks to being fairly busy now. These are mostly shops where expats go. The Vietnamese style coffee/tea shops were back to full earlier. In early May, the Prime Minister made an announcement along the lines of "ok, we're good... now let's kick-start the economy".. Now the streets are full of motorbikes again. Schools are all in session. Other than the folks who work in the tourism industry, life is back to normal.

I had been expecting some ~Covid Embargos to emerge. Relating to tourism, it looks like that may happen - with Vietnam, South Korea, and China. The article below explains how they are considering the start of a sort of tourism/commerce deal. The countries with many Covid cases will be left to figure it out before they can join... or to start their own 'riding dirty' clubs.

https://skift.com/2020/05/12/vietnam-ra ... reopening/

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@C40 - interesting.

NZ has had zero new cases again for the last two days. Only 66 remaining active cases. We come out of lockdown tomorrow. Similar to Vietnam most things are opening, except for bars. Bars don't open for another couple of weeks.

Im shocked Vietnam is looking at opening tourism bubbles with China and South Korea. I didn't see a date in that article. Have they talked about when?

I do not see NZ opening borders any time soon, even though tourism is also big here. I suspect that we might open borders with Australia, maybe later this year but I doubt before like September or October at the earliest. Also probably the pacific islands. Closest place in the world to NZ is New Caledonia. They have zero virus there now. Would be good to open borders with them. I cant imagine the borders being opened any further than that this year though.
Last edited by thrifty++ on Wed May 13, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

Get well soon 7w5

C40

Post by C40 »

thrifty++ wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:48 am
Im shocked Vietnam is looking at opening tourism bubbles with China and South Korea. I didn't see a date in that article. Have they talked about when?
I don't know about a date. AFAIK there is only speculation/rumors so far and not official announcements by the Vietnamese government. I've heard about them being in discussions with South Korea already from other sources. I expect they'd do thorough investigating on whether China's virus number claims are accurate before letting Chinese tourists in.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Nasal swab negative. Neutrophil levels way above normal. So, whether or not I suffer(ed)from a weird ass (literally!) lower intestinal version of Coronavirus infection remains unknown.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 am
Nasal swab negative. Neutrophil levels way above normal. So, whether or not I suffer(ed)from a weird ass (literally!) lower intestinal version of Coronavirus infection remains unknown.
Missed the flurry of posts yesterday. Glad it's not IT. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

7W5, did they measure your t-cell count or other biometric markers? Neutrophils usually indicate a bacterial infection while t-cells are for viruses. Then again, this virus is beyond strange, and some of its pathology lies in activating neutrophils even though neutrophils don't fight viruses. So who really knows? Either way, hope you get well soon.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@AE:

I don't think so? Is there another word for it? All my blood markers that I can see in my test results app are normal except white blood cells somewhat elevated and neutrophils much more elevated.

The ER doctor called me this morning to check in and he said that they have been seeing cases of Coronavirus presenting with diarrhea and fever and even though my nasal swab is negative I might have had it and I am now convalescing. I think you kind of have to weigh it against the odds of a middle class American woman who never leaves a very clean apartment suddenly coming down with dysentery.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Sorry for fever dump. Maybe some administrator would like to cut Covid thread into separate Science/Policy/Experience-Journal threads?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

0 new cases in NZ again today for third day in a row.

We have come out of lockdown today. So its comforting to simultaneously have this news.

Despite dropping to a semi-lockdown 2 weeks ago, the numbers of virus have still been able to continue the significantly downward trend.

Around 4.4% of the population has been tested now.

Very few cases of active virus left at this stage.

It will be interesting to see how many people start to get out and about going to restaurants and cafes etc. Im doubting it will be a lot TBH. We are now heading into winter anyway so people are not excited about going out.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

8-minute speech droplets:

The airborne lifetime of small speech droplets and their potential importance in SARS-CoV-2 transmission

“ At an average viral load of 7 × 106 per milliliter (7), we estimate that 1 min of loud speaking generates at least 1,000 virion-containing droplet nuclei that remain airborne for more than 8 min. These therefore could be inhaled by others and, according to IAH, trigger a new SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

:|

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020 ... 2006874117

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the state's stay-at-home order during the coronavirus pandemic as "unlawful, invalid, and unenforceable". Hooray for the Constitution!

JL13

Post by JL13 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Maybe some administrator would like to cut Covid thread into separate Science/Policy/Experience-Journal threads?
+1. Can we split one off strictly discussing IFR and infection estimates/projections? I'd like a thread without all the moralizing....