My form of retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
1Vikinggirl

Re: My form of retirement

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Update:
35 ANNUAL BUDGETS
I have 35 annual budgets in my assets (excluding one small place to stay plus pension rights). I almost can not believe it is true.

It happened because I started serious saving (not just saving but seriously saving) in 2009. Paid off all debt in 2010. Sold the extensive house in 2014. Packed up and moved 2013. Just accumulating while not spending since then. Still working but just the fun parts.

Living. Learning. Laughing. Loving.
Thanks Jacob and ERE forums...

frihet

Post by frihet »

Good work happy for your sake! How much is an annual budget for you?

wolf

Post by wolf »

Yor are FI. Great!

Have you invested all of the 35 annual budget?

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

1Vikinggirl wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:17 am
Update:
35 ANNUAL BUDGETS
I have 35 annual budgets in my assets (excluding one small place to stay plus pension rights). I almost can not believe it is true.

It happened because I started serious saving (not just saving but seriously saving) in 2009. Paid off all debt in 2010. Sold the extensive house in 2014. Packed up and moved 2013. Just accumulating while not spending since then. Still working but just the fun parts.

Living. Learning. Laughing. Loving.
Thanks Jacob and ERE forums...
AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW YISS!
Maar' faarking Free!

Godt arbejde!

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

It’s me again.
I started saving with Jacob in 2009. Mid 2017 the FI number was 35.
Now, end of 2020 the FI number is 60.
(For me, FI-number means my assets covers sixty years of annual budgets, no debt, no car, no jewelry and not counting property value because I do live in my forever home (and because as Jacob says, I always have to live somewhere). Not including pension tights I have no control over. I expect to live no less than forty more years.)
It is enough.

Since 2010, I have moved four-five times between three countries and have learned two new languages.
I have had four jobs since 2010 and I have already retired once.

I have had some fun in this latest job, an interesting experience, brought me things I wanted.
But I am ready to retire again.
No special plans, just have some books to read, perhaps a new language to learn, possibly growing more tomatoes.
Going for a walk everyday. You know, living like a retired person.

rube

Post by rube »

Thanks 1VKGirl for this update. Please continue to post updates a bit more frequently :-).

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I found your blog from one of the older posts in this thread and have to say it's been a fascinating read!

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

It’ me again with my frequent updates (several years between each post). This time I report from yet another country.
COVID lock-down came and went, I left the job with a handshake and I’ve spent the past few years living off-grid in a tiny house in my previous country.
It was a great experience although not everything went well and the relationship did not survive.

The benefit of ERE and a comfortable financial cushion is the light and flexible lifestyle. Within six weeks I was in my mother’s country, with my money and my books in a bought furnished apartment and with the support of my friends from my student years. They have been fabulous, continuously checking in to make sure I settle in mentally and socially.
Community and networks are more important than possessions for a frugal lifestyle! No person is an island, said John Donne, and Robinson Crusoe is fiction.

I’m doing well, enjoying the benefits of my experiences, learnings, savings and security. I have some 75 annual budgets to my name and the assets had recouperated the cost of the apartment within a few months (lucky timing and cheeky bidding).
There is no plan for the future beyond today, this week and a part-time university course. Lots of social events, physical activities and I continue to live frugally, foraging and building up a well filled pantry again.

It’s all a bit strange for my well established friends but I love them so they leave me be. And I rake their yard for a free dinner while they sit in meetings making money.
I think I win.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

1Vikinggirl wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:25 am
Community and networks are more important than possessions for a frugal lifestyle! No person is an island, said John Donne, and Robinson Crusoe is fiction.
There are three ways to solve a problem: community, possessions, or spending money. If frugality is in, then spending money is out. Community/network can somewhat substitute for possessions (skills/tools/parts) in a frugal lifestyle, but it requires that someone else in the network have those skills, tools, and parts. Over time, it's quite possible to build a self-sufficient "island" with very little need for community or spending. In general, I think it's possible to prioritize any of the three and make it work. Frugal minimalists on account of their limited possessions are often limited to seeking their solutions via their network. Robin Greenfield would be an example of that.