Hello from Singapore!

Say hello!!
lightfruit55

Hello from Singapore!

Post by lightfruit55 »

Hi everyone! Been lurking in this forum (absorbing life-changing insights from posters and living life vicariously through some journals heh) for more than 3 years now. Finally decided to step out from the shadows and participate in this amazing forum. Eventually, I hope to be able to attend one of the meet-ups too!

Cheers!

singvestor

Re: Hello from Singapore!

Post by singvestor »

Hi fellow Singapore-based person :) Welcome! I am also living in this ERE friendly city state, maybe we can compare some ideas! I also keep a journal in the journal section of this forum.

lightfruit55

Post by lightfruit55 »

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yea, I have been following your journal for some time now. Great progress by the way :)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Welcome! This place always benefits from having a geographically diverse population.

I am not sure there is any "financial" site that has a more globally representative population (but I haven't done any surveys).

The last time I was in Singapore was when the Merlion was struck by lightning.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hello lightfruit, welcome. Do you also think that Singapur is a ERE friendly city state?
singvestor wrote:Hi fellow Singapore-based person :) Welcome! I am also living in this ERE friendly city state, maybe we can compare some ideas! I also keep a journal in the journal section of this forum.
I may wonder why Singapur is a ERE friendly city state? Can you give examples? If I look various cost of living indices I find that Singapur is quite expansive to live.

Anyhow, it's good to know people (you) with various backgrounds of different regions all over the world, who live are also trying to achieve ERE.

lightfruit55

Post by lightfruit55 »

@dragline How long ago was that? I don't remember the Merlion being struck by lightning. But then again, most locals don't concern themselves with the Merlion. It's our mascot for tourists.

@MD My view is that Singapore is ERE-friendly due to the following reasons: Personal income tax rates are very low (see: https://www.guidemesingapore.com/taxati ... -tax-guide). Public transport is relatively cheap. It costs between USD 0.5 to 1.5 for a train/bus ride. Also, being a small country, many places and amenities are easily accessible, whether by public transport, bike or foot. There's (relatively) cheap and delicious hawker food also and groceries are reasonably-priced.

However, housing is a killer. That's why young people generally stay with their parents until they find someone to settle down with and can afford to do so. I would imagine rental to be a major expense for expatriates. Car ownership costs an arm and a leg. In Singapore, when one buys a car, he or she also has to purchase a "certificate of entitlement" to drive said car for 10 years. For a basic new sedan car, be prepared to fork out around SGD100,000 or more to drive it for 10 years. For luxury sedans, SGD200,000 and above. Also, if you want to indulge in dining, drinks and other entertainment (vices especially), be prepared to shell out a lot. But I guess car ownership and luxury indulgences would not be an issue for ERR-ers.

In summary, I would argue that once you can get housing sorted out, life can be pretty ERE-friendly!

wolf

Post by wolf »

@Lightfruit

Thank you for the explanations. I also read about costs of housing in Singapur. I think about weather small places, e.g. villages or cities are more ERE-friendly. I guess that small places has minor cost of living, but cities on the other hand provide some free entertainment and leisure options. How is entertainment in Singapur. Are there cheap options or free places?

Aansar

Post by Aansar »

Welcome buddy here as a board member and hope you will have a great time with all of us.
singvestor wrote:Hi fellow Singapore-based person :) Welcome! I am also living in this ERE friendly city state, maybe we can compare some ideas! I also keep a journal in the journal section of this forum.
singvestor, I am keen to read your journal. How to find that?

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Oh, hi, Singapore! Welcome here.

In fact I will be passing through Singapore on 21 April so if any of you locals are around, we could maybe meet for a cup of tea.

My idea is to hike the Southern Ridges, but besides this I don't have any plans for the day/evening yet.

lightfruit55

Post by lightfruit55 »

Hi Eureka,

Will you be in Singapore for just a day?

I don't personally know any other locals on the ERE journey. But if you're fine with just meeting me and maybe my non-ERE partner, 21 April in the evening (i.e. after working hours) sounds good!

Let me know! :)

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Yup, only one day as a stopover between Europe and Australia. My flight leaves at 21.30 from Changi, so if you think anything is possible regarding your schedule, I'd be happy to meet up with you with or without your partner.