Beating an Applicant Tracking System?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
brookline

Beating an Applicant Tracking System?

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I'm in the midst of a job search & have a few questions regarding Applicant Tracking Systems.
First, does anyone know of a link to a good example of an ATS-beating resume that also looks good to humans? (The ATS-friendly resumes I've seen on the web look pretty ugly.)
Second, I've read 90% of big companies use ATS. Is usage as wide-spread at smaller firms or nonprofits?
Third, I was told that if an online job application requires you to copy your resume into a "box", the resume will be screened by an ATS not a human. However, if the application lets you upload your personal resume, a person is likely to screen the resume. Does this seem likely?
Thanks!

ether

Re: Beating an Applicant Tracking System?

Post by ether »

I've read that people will add 1000s of recruiting keywords to the footer of their resume with white font and super tiny font so it's machine readable but not human readable. However, this only works if you physically upload a resume to their website. I've seen most companies want you to recreate your resume through their website by manually filling out each section

https://jobs-resumes.wonderhowto.com/ho ... y-0146824/

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Im not comfortable posting my resume online, but if you give me your email ill send it to you.

brookline

Post by brookline »

ether wrote:I've read that people will add 1000s of recruiting keywords to the footer of their resume with white font and super tiny font so it's machine readable but not human readable. However, this only works if you physically upload a resume to their website. I've seen most companies want you to recreate your resume through their website by manually filling out each section

https://jobs-resumes.wonderhowto.com/ho ... y-0146824/
Wow that's ingenious! No wonder big companies that likely use ATS aren't interviewing me at all. :x

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

brookline wrote: Wow that's ingenious! No wonder big companies that likely use ATS aren't interviewing me at all. :x
Some might consider that a benefit, how companies recruit is a reflection on the organisation as a whole.