Living with Careerist

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
IlliniDave

Re: Living with Careerist

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5 wrote: @IlliniDave: What you are suggesting sounds even slightly more difficult for me than attempting the BRUTE method of weight loss. Therefore, I probably ought to at least attempt it in the interest of personal growth. It seems like this would mostly be a process of trying to be more J than P (decisive), but maybe more S than N too (no looping chains of thought allowed), and a little bit more F than T, since your instructions were that the one syllable words were supposed to describe how I feel, not how I think.

However, I would like to note for the record that I have not concsiously engaged in the counter-productive activity of "man-hunting" since late adolescence, so I will re-phrase your instruction as "do not actively or overtly signal availability to men interested in possibility of pursuit/conquest/etc.etc." IOW, "purposefully don some variety of off-putting behavioral burka."
The idea is to be blunt/direct and honest with yourself. Be primal. It's about what you want, not what you want other people to think about what you want. Or even what you think about what you want.

Of course I laughed when I saw that you tried to map my suggestion into B-M space. :D Exactly the kind of thing I'm suggesting you avoid in the exercise.

There are many ways to hunt. Not all of them involve stalking and chasing. Providing some sort of signal (calls, decoys, bait, etc.) to attract quarry is hunting just as much as a cheetah running down a gazelle. I wasn't thinking along the lines of acting like a nun. Just treat men like regular people rather than potential conquests (even though you let them think they are doing the conquering ;) ). But that's not the end goal in-and-of-itself. Just a tactic to give you some space to clear your head in the event you want try a new approach.

But if you're happy where you're at/going, that's good, just keep going and don't worry about it!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:...So, my question for you would be how do you exert your boundaries, so that you don't end up hen-pecked into a tiny corner or eventually decimated by constant criticism?
I'm sure you're not meaning criticism to the point of emotional abuse, but rather misunderstandings of motivation? If its the former, it's definitely time to drop that hot potato! DW isn't really one for unfounded criticism, but it's fair to say she's liable to have a good moan or nag if something I happen to be doing is something she doesn't agree with. And I NEED my independence, it's my main boundary and achilles heel. :roll: I may contravene house rules like leaving the dishes undone whilst I'm out in the garage working on one of my dozen or so ongoing projects, or even worse, working on the bike for the 3rd night in a row while DW wants to watch some naff drama with me (like this is some inclusive hobby? zzz! :twisted: )

In true NT style, my typical response to nagging would be to pick holes in any irrational F argument, whilst simultaneously ignoring or completely misunderstanding her point... if DW has the energy, she'll commence with 'behaviour correction' mode. This may lead me to attempt that typical NTP conflict avoidance behaviour, particularly if my rational argument strikes a nerve and upsets her. Nit picking, if I can call it that, might get ramped up if DW interprets avoiding conflict as trying to hide something or attempting to divert from the problem (which I guess I am!). In the past, if she pressed long enough, I was likely to suffer one of the emotional melt downs you mentioned, I'd blow up and it would end in a bad row, but we got better at working things through over time as we learned how to avoid pressing each other's buttons. I suppose this is what I meant when I said not trying to change each other, and learning to love each other for who we are. As I age, those meltdowns have also become less frequent too, as DW helps me tune in with my F side. She coaches me in that respect, which is part of the attraction for this opposite type. Sadly, DW is less open for coaching in NT behaviours :roll: Also, I have since learned to do the dishes BEFORE I disappear to work on the bike, and DW is happy, for the most part! :lol:

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

7W - sounds like your living. I think the ups and downs are all part of the fun. Be happy you have something exciting to do. Go for it.

ebast

Post by ebast »

If I had to project down to a unidimensional figure of merit of prospective 7wb5 suitors, it would be what is the propensity of this man to show up at her lot with a pickup full of scavenged firewood rounds for hugelkultur, (I am sure it is fine if he shows up in a mercedes and workboots, but you get the idea). In simple mode one could evaluate any prospective relationship steps as, what is the likelihood of this action to increase the propensity of this man to show up with said lumber in hand?

(or more generally, how commensurate is this fellow with contributing/directing/reflecting energy toward your current projects & goals)

I pick that because I get the sense you have many projects and the challenge is not in acquiring new starts but in accomplishing any finishes. (I say this as someone prone to Scanner mindset but also with persistent frustration when all the externally-assumed short-term urgent-important and none of the long-term non-urgent-but-important tasks seem to finish themselves!) The obvious followup: what is the possibility moving in with this gentleman will generate a flurry of scrumptious Scanner-confetti projects to start on?

Perhaps some of these projects turn out coincident with yours and it sounds like it could. For all I know, this guy has a bug-out cabin up north which is just waiting to convert itself into a food-forested self-sufficient glen in need only of some more committed attention in the form of house-warming touches, a nurturing caretaker and a suitable library consisting of several thousand volumes no proper home should be without. So I allow it doesn't have to be your permaculture plot and understand after all that male lack-of-cooperation melts if they just think it's their own idea.

Also, in terms of information density, " I am more like a character out of Austen, but I tend towards finding myself engaged with men out of Bronte. " tells me a lot more and would lose precision and take an awful lot of one-syllable anglo-saxon (but please no celtic) words to explain without drift, probably come to think of it enough to fill a nineteenth century novel.

Also, I am a little surprised you don't generate entirely enough drama merely on your own!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

You guys rock. Lots of excellent insight and advice.
ebast said: If I had to project down to a unidimensional figure of merit of prospective 7wb5 suitors, it would be what is the propensity of this man to show up at her lot with a pickup full of scavenged firewood rounds for hugelkultur, (I am sure it is fine if he shows up in a mercedes and workboots, but you get the idea). In simple mode one could evaluate any prospective relationship steps as, what is the likelihood of this action to increase the propensity of this man to show up with said lumber in hand?

(or more generally, how commensurate is this fellow with contributing/directing/reflecting energy toward your current projects & goals)

I pick that because I get the sense you have many projects and the challenge is not in acquiring new starts but in accomplishing any finishes. (I say this as someone prone to Scanner mindset but also with persistent frustration when all the externally-assumed short-term urgent-important and none of the long-term non-urgent-but-important tasks seem to finish themselves!)
Exactly, with my bold emphasis. I am going to sink into the lowest pit of lack of self-esteem on the entire planet if I don't complete my perma-culture project by Autumnal Equinox 2022. I don't care whether or not I get married again, or otherwise exhibit success in achieving/maintaining committed long-term relationship. I don't even care very much whether I save up a lot of money. I am hanging out on this forum because I am trying to improve my functioning in my adult masculine quadrant towards better achievement of mastery and goal completion. IOW, I am in the phase of life which many middle-aged females who were previously heavily engaged in child-rearing would devote to CAREER, except I am NOT a careerist. However, I am also a person who very much wants to have an active sex life, and prefers to have something resembling a relationship with her sex partner(s.)

The funny thing is that my ex-polyamour who I referred to as the Permaculture Manager is obviously the most likely man to show up at my lot with a load of wood for hugerkultur, and he has, in fact, done this and many other similar behaviors on many occasions. He just called me recently because he is excited about getting started again with the project this spring. HOWEVER, he would be a TERRIBLE choice for a long-term relationship partner for me (or anybody!), because he is not cuddly, he drinks too much, he is always later than he says he will be, -super-super-bossy, and irredeemably single-non-committal (53, never married, no kids, longest relationship lasted only a few years.)

Last summer, all 3 of the men I was seeing were helping me with my project one way or another, and I was happy, but then somehow the system got out of whack. Probably, I should just follow the example of the Reverend E. P. Roe in his 1871 market-garden near West Point, NY and attempt to hire street urchins at the rate of a penny and a half per quart berries picked.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@vexed87: Your reply was very helpful, because now I am feeling angry and focused, because it is clear that my problem is only half due to being a generalist. It is easier for you to exert your boundaries because you are a man.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I seem to be failing to communicate. Let me try storytelling as a means...

I grew up with divorced parents, like most everyone else. Parents split when I was 4, then remarried, each other. That lasted a year. Then married and divorced other people a few times as I grew up. Everyone I knew who had been married, either divorced, and hated their former spouse, or was unhappily still married, and hated their spouse. I've seen every variation, still so angry, can't talk about ex, open marriages, staying together for the kids, messing with kids to spite ex, blah, blah.

Needless to say, I was pretty adamant that I would never be married, never have kids, and I made that absolutely clear on first dates.

That story slowly started to change. I was with my best friend visiting his sister's family, back in what I consider my hometown. While his brother in-law (T) is showing us his shop/garage and cool car restoration project, his 2.5 year old daughter is running around, poking into everything. Looking for attention and just in general, being 2.5.

T is talking, and will occasionally break off mid sentence, and correct the child, then go back talking to us. This went on for maybe 45 minutes. Now T and I went to the same school for a year, but we were never friends, and he was a former Jarhead, I a former soldier, so of course there's a bit of banter, but I'm not carrying the conversation. I had time to really watch what he was doing. Later, we talked to T and his wife, and as all young parents, they loved talking about the kids. And how they ran the house. And their child rearing strategies.

This was all new material for me. Growing up, I had seen the garage scene many times, always ending in exasperated parent shouting at child, or ignoring the child until she hurt herself, often followed by shouting at child. Parenting strategy? Isn't that an oxymoron? Parenting is surviving 18 years doing penance for not using a condom.

This was a real eye opener for me. There is an entire skillset of parenting I had never seen.

A few years later, I started seeing more healthy marriages. With the same realization. There are so many ways happy couples behave, that I had never seen before.

I don't know what you know, or don't. I don't know what you need to learn to make a happy long term relationship work. All I know is how I learned, by careful observation of couples who have the kind of relationship I wanted. That is what I recommend you try.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

FWIW, I am an INTP married to an ESFJ and it's pretty much an ideal relationship. Like if you applied the Wheaton scale to relationships we'd be pretty high up, with most people would find ours unrealistic (they think they would never find such a compatible and sickeningly sweet mate) and others finding us inspirational. This is not to brag but to say that the INTP/ESFJ opposite dynamic works, at least in some relationships. Please Understand Me mentions this combo working well, but states that they aren't common enough to have any good research behind them.

However when DW and I have taken the personality tests, we have not been extreme in our INTP/ESFJ-ness. Much closer to 60%/40% on those scales than say 90%/10%. This leads me to think that becoming more balanced in these personality dimensions can be more helpful to relationships in general. So if you're on the extreme end of some personality traits, should you embrace your extremeness so that you have unique strengths, or should you strive to become more well-rounded to make it easier to have stronger relationships with a wide variety of people? I tend toward wanting to get along with everyone, which may have factored into why I've become more of an intp than an INTP.

How many personality conflicts are due to you being slightly on the opposite side of the personality dimension, vs. conflicts due to being at an extreme end? If someone is having a lot of relationship problems arising from an extreme personality trait, should they focus their efforts on trying to change, or on finding someone more compatible with that trait? The path of least resistance to solve that problem will depend on the person's particular situation.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

A few years later, I started seeing more healthy marriages. With the same realization. There are so many ways happy couples behave, that I had never seen before.

I don't know what you know, or don't. I don't know what you need to learn to make a happy long term relationship work. All I know is how I learned, by careful observation of couples who have the kind of relationship I wanted. That is what I recommend you try.
Gotcha. I have also observed happy couples and the way they behave, and the conclusion I have come to is that the way to form a happy couple is to take two happy individuals and put them together. I hold the belief, perhaps delusional, that I am a pretty happy individual. So, the question becomes why do I persist in entering into relationships with men who are not happy individuals? Since I am also not highly inclined towards long bouts of martyrdom or utter foolishness, the answer must be that I am getting something other than direct transfer of happiness-inducing behavior out of the deal.

In overly simplistic terms, what I have developed the habit of doing is trading some portion of my San Diego temperament to some pretty damn miserable, depressive, stressed-out, one-incident-away-from-being-placed-in-anger-management-program-against-will individuals for some combination of sex, money and/or muscle. IMO, this is not necessarily a "bad" trade, as long as both partners to the trade are self-aware and openly acknowledging the terms of contract. For instance, I have said "You are using me as a human emotional support animal." to my current BF, and his response was "Oh, yeah. Absolutely. No doubt. I am way calmer when you are around."

I am also good with colicky babies. But, when I am caring for a colicky baby, I have to remember that it is important for me to sometimes put the baby in a crib and just let it cry, or hand it off to somebody else, so that I can take some time to care for myself; relax, re-hydrate, get some exercise, etc., so that I can maintain my good-humor or ability to respond rather than react.

When I am interacting with another intelligent, self-aware adult, I have to clearly communicate that the "price" I charge in relationship contract for tolerating an incident of Type A adult male version of colic is not just "you will be apologizing and picking up the tab for dinner" but also "and you will also be paying this other bill for me, because I will be spending tomorrow lying on the beach recovering, rather than getting paid to teach a classroom full of 6th grade versions of you.", BUT "Slight discount may be available, IF you can lower the cortisol 3 notches, thereby freeing up some of that entrapped testosterone, and put some of that aggression to better use."

One of the thing I like about most men; a way in which I believe they are easier to deal with than most members of my own gender, is that they are remarkably tending towards preferring overt contract. I have to constantly remind myself that this is the case and not be shy about making my terms, or what needs to be done/offered to make things right/fair, very clear. I mean, I would be embarrassed to have to admit that I was so hard-to-get-along-with that I am required to pay cash penalty to maintain a relationship, but men don't seem to care.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

@RJ -- thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like the beginnings of a memoir that will rival "Hillbilly Elegy." And truly good "tag-team parenting" is a wonder to behold (and even better to participate in).

@7w5 I can't help feeling that you would be better off not living with the men you are attracted to, but simply having short, intense interludes or "events" with them and then retreating to your gardens to recharge. 24/7 just seems totally unnecessary and counter-productive in your case.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Dragline: Agree. I am not the one making the bid for more time together. So, it is a matter of doing a better job of establishing my boundaries, and not being such a round-heeled, soft-touch. I have very little difficulty with avoiding the company of men I do not find attractive, so it has to be something more along the line of telling myself "Do not even go into the donut store unless you plan on eating a donut. Do not even drive down the street the donut store is on unless you plan on eating a donut."

This is going to sound ridiculous, but since I know that even "I have to work." can eventually be countered with "You don't have to work. I have plenty of money.", and anything along the lines of "I am studying robotics online" may not be respected, my hare-brained scheme of the moment is that I told him I am going to try to look as good as Christie Brinkley in a bikini by the end of the summer. That way I can say "I am going to be at my garden hauling around wood chips for the next couple days for my look-great-in-a-bikini plan." and it will be like when somebody in an old school sci-fi movie short-circuits a robot-overlord with conflicting code inputs.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

First: I love your posts and follow religiously!!
Second: Out of the blue came the definition from a masters degree course: "Control is forcing events to comply with the plan"
I suppose one would ask next "Whose plan??"

You seem to do a good job of sticking to your plan and "come along if you want." to the lovers.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Lucky C said: However when DW and I have taken the personality tests, we have not been extreme in our INTP/ESFJ-ness. Much closer to 60%/40% on those scales than say 90%/10%. This leads me to think that becoming more balanced in these personality dimensions can be more helpful to relationships in general. So if you're on the extreme end of some personality traits, should you embrace your extremeness so that you have unique strengths, or should you strive to become more well-rounded to make it easier to have stronger relationships with a wide variety of people? I tend toward wanting to get along with everyone, which may have factored into why I've become more of an intp than an INTP.
Well, given my moniker, I obviously believe that personality tests should be used as tool towards growth rather than excuse for sticking in comfortable rut. The direction of growth for an ENTP is supposed to be towards INTJ, but maybe I should work on being more S as well as more J since S is where I am seriously lacking. I am already very balanced in my E/I. I can at least dimly grok how to be more J than P, and how that would help me better achieve mastery and goal completion, and I cycle out of T into F at least 3 days every month. The only exercise I can think of for being more S than N is a trick I learned for decorating a room. You put your hands together to create a little circle and then you narrow your focus to just that little bit of the room. Doing this kind of makes you more like the kind of person who can't help noticing a fingerprint on a switch-plate.

Anyways, my take on me is that I am 80% very good universal mixer, but 20% serious off-curve niche dweller, which is probably why I am great at dating but not so good at long run. I shouldn't be so hard on my BF. He really is a bit of a sweet-heart when he isn't laying on the horn, flashing finger, and then taking me along on a carnival ride u-turn.
tommytebco said: First: I love your posts and follow religiously!!
Second: Out of the blue came the definition from a masters degree course: "Control is forcing events to comply with the plan"
I suppose one would ask next "Whose plan??"

You seem to do a good job of sticking to your plan and "come along if you want." to the lovers.
Thanks : ) I am going to be so disappointed if I don't get to see how my project turns out when it is finished. I can't allow myself to be distracted by plans of other(s.)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, I am helping my BF move into his new place, and successfully evading spending too much time there myself. He told me that I am almost the perfect girlfriend except sometimes I chew too loudly, snore, and I often forget where the car is parked. Sounds to me like somebody volunteering to throw down for the co-pay/deductible on deviated septum procedure.

I realize that part of my fretting about this issue is that I have been reluctant to admit that I have finally aged/lapsed into the phase of life where what I want/need is a "Grandma's boyfriend", which is somebody you don't have to squabble with about whether it is better to let herbs grow between the path stones in the garden vs. whacking them clear, because you maintain your own garden domains, but you can count on to run to the store to pick up some extra whipping cream for the pies at Thanksgiving.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, I did a bad thing that I vowed to never, ever, ever do again for at least 3 very good reasons. I administered the very short version of the MBTI to my BF. Results: ESFJ. I took it again myself and tested INTP rather than ENTP this time. I'm always very borderline E/I, so this is likely due to fact that I am not fit to be seen by other humans and can not go out in the sunshine due to temporary facial paralysis.

So, pretty much our relationship is doomed, unless we are both much higher functioning than average. I have my doubts. I tend to get worn out when often in the company of individuals who are alert to their environment in the moment and choose to assertively react to these inputs. For instance, traffic is generally not much of a noticed-problem for me unless I am in the passenger seat of a car being driven by somebody for whom traffic is a problem. I might be quietly, happily thinking about how many acres of flint corn are necessary to support one halfway decent local theater performance of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and then right when I am about ready to convert kilocalories into watt-hours, the very loud blaring of a horn and a deep voice exclaiming something like "Did you see what that m*thah-f*ckah did? #$!!%&**?" intrudes, and I am forced to re-inhabit my body as it is slammed against the door with some force.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

So... You know what doesn't work. And yet you still don't exclude it.

Maybe you should just choose shorter relationships, as a goal.

Everyone can be nice for a few weeks/months. Just stop forgiving transgressions. Leave at the first sign of irritability. You have the time, and the opportunity. Don't waste it repeating patterns that make you unhappy.

Or, you could be less passive in selecting mates. The world is full of attractive potential mates. So stop settling for merely attractive and interested.

Or not. Your life.

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am
I administered the very short version of the MBTI to my BF. Results: ESFJ. I took it again myself and tested INTP rather than ENTP this time.

So, pretty much our relationship is doomed....
I once knew a girl who refused to date guys with a particular zodiac sign for similar reasons. The more I see how people use Myers-Briggs, the more I realize it is astrology for smart people.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

The more I know about people, the better I feel about excluding most of them. <5% are worth knowing at all.

Most people should be more selective in choosing mates, but when patterns emerge, they should at least consider acting on that.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Riggerjack wrote:Maybe you should just choose shorter relationships, as a goal.

Everyone can be nice for a few weeks/months. Just stop forgiving transgressions. Leave at the first sign of irritability. You have the time, and the opportunity. Don't waste it repeating patterns that make you unhappy.
Yes, I have considered this as an option. Kind of what I was hoping to accomplish with adopting the practice of polyamory. My recent re-read of "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World" got me thinking about this again because of the section where Harry Browne takes you step by step through being able to stomach breaking partnerships/contracts or ending relationships with other people. The problem with polyamory is that it left me with even more contracts which I eventually either wanted to end or alter with request of significant change of terms.

I think maybe my ideal would be relationships contracts which would give either party the option of no-further-grief exit or clear-cut continuance/renegotiation of terms every year. Actually, one of the reasons I am not too fidgety in my current relationship is that I know he might take an overseas assignment next year. So, that offers me the potential possibilities of continuing as is, easy out ending, or maybe traveling with him. Dunno. He has apologized, but he yelled at me about a trivial matter while I am feeling quite lousy because my face is paralyzed, and my immediate reaction was "I am going to call Uber and leave your azz this very minute. Eat my dust, Mr. I-don't-like-to-internalize-my-stress." Only reason I didn't do it is that I have trained myself to respond rather than react. My response was that after a period in which I was too angry to speak to him, I said "I am angry. I found your behavior very rude. You are a free person, so you can behave as you wish, but there will be a price you will pay in relationship with me if you choose to continue to behave in such a manner."

OTOH, the inherent problem I have experienced with the practice of serial monogamy is that I am actually kind of developing an odd emotional response to the ease with which I am able to slip into the role of girlfriend with a new man. Like I might be shopping at the grocery store with my BF, and I leave him to go down an aisle to grab some mustard, and he might turn into my ex-husband, or the man I was dating 4 years ago, or the man I was madly in love with 7 years ago. Kind of like if you were ever with your parent in a crowded store when you were a child, and you reached up to take his hand, and then suddenly looked up and realized that you were mistaken and had grasped the hand of a stranger, or if you ever fell asleep on a bus or a train and missed your station, and then woke up who knows where. I think "disoriented" is the word I am looking for.

@Ego: I was obviously over-stating my reliance on MBTI -based compatibility with my choice of the word "doomed." MBTI is a weak descriptive model of personality types. Astrology is an idiotic determinant model of personality types. I don't believe that personality type is set-in-stone pre-determined at birth. I do believe that people have unique personalities all their own, but some qualities are likely to be associated and any quality can be categorized. The most interesting aspect of the model is the question of how to stretch or transcend from where you find yourself now. I think behavioral psychology or broadening of perspective can aid this process, but there is a limit to personal growth work which is death, so there is some benefit to be derived in determining in which way you might best experience most improvement. For instance, rule of thumb for INTJ would generally be to move from mastery into leadership by stretching ability to move fluidly from I to E. Viewed from vice-swap perspective, better functioning for ENTP can be accomplished by moving from gluttony to greed. It can be difficult to call chicken or egg on whether a person is absent-minded because they read too much, or whether they read too much because they are, or wish to be, absent-minded.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Once again, I disagree.
For instance, rule of thumb for INTJ would generally be to move from mastery into leadership by stretching ability to move fluidly from I to E.
I've been a leader, professionally. I found it stressful, and dishonest. Doing leadership well is best described as manipulating emotions strategically. There is no way to do it well without this manipulation, and I found it profoundly unsatisfying.

This could be because I am uncomfortable thinking of myself as an evil overlord, but have evil overlord proclivities. Maybe this is more about me than INTJs.
It can be difficult to call chicken or egg on whether a person is absent-minded because they read too much, or whether they read too much because they are, or wish to be, absent-minded.
Take this with a grain of salt, I can only cite my own experience. I used to be very absent minded. I am very good at motivated forgetfulness.

However, over the last 15 years, this has gone away. Not that I worked on it. But that's about the time a started getting more active in remaking my live to align with my desires. When I started filtering out the irritations and the people that brought them. When I started being active in pushing toward what I wanted, rather than what I could put up with.

For me, being absent minded was a side effect of trying to separate myself, from my life.

Life is too short to live like that.

SOLVE problems, rather than use bailing wire and duct tape to "fix" problems. And who you allow into your life is the primary filter for what problems are introduced into your life.

Or maybe that's just me...