Near-Grad Sadness/Fear/Emptiness?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
thrifty++

Re: Near-Grad Sadness/Fear/Emptiness?

Post by thrifty++ »

@OP - its really not that bad. Living in the western world you have loads of options and choices. You dont have to chose that pathway if you dont want to. But that pathway is really not to bad anyway. If you mix some adventure in especially not so much.

Sounds like you need to mix in a hit of adventure and fun at this point of time.

distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

@OP. I feel as if I could have written your post back when I graduated. I remember going from 24/7 grind of university to sitting in my parents basement with no job and thinking what-the-fuck just happened. Like it was all some sort of dream. I've been on the railroad since birth and now what? There was a void in my brain/soul.

In my honest opinion, you WILL feel depressed and empty and scared and I think that's a healthy reaction. Your life as you knew it has ended and you get to figure out a new one. I don't think that feeling will last too long for you though; graduating with $50K in the bank is an amazing feat. As Ego stated, you'll have options with what to do. That is a liberating feeling. I'm two years out and only now discovering those options.

To give you a specific example, when I finished school I had $4K left and went and blew it all in one summer of indulgence. I drank/tripped my way through SE Asia and came back to have some wild experiences at a (surprisingly expensive) hippy music festival called Shambahala. Unfortunately, this meant I took the first job on offer when I got back.

You have a job locked down, no? Maybe you could do with some time to blow off some steam? It seems like you are used to having partners around as well, perhaps try having an adventure by yourself? Your potential is limitless.

Jean

Post by Jean »

We are all in the same boat here I see.
Were are those alien invaders?

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

We are lucky to have these worries. Most people in the world have more day-to-day survival worries/pressures/politics to endure. So we are the lucky ones.

Also, wherever you are FI or not, there will be just other sets of challenges, worries etc. (FI worries have to deal with what to do with your assets, how to protect them, what to do with yourself, why aren't you doing more, how can you improve your relationships, isolation etc) There will always be something.

As for the sailing the seas, travelling etc. You don't need FI money to do that (although it helps) you need charisma, confidence and faith in yourself. That is how a lot of people do it. And basic street sense.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Man, most people in the world have no chance of being FI by age thirty. You're in a super enviable position.

Jean

Post by Jean »

DLC for crusader kings ii are on sale.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Being a capitalist is more boring than being a worker.