Greetings from Copenhagen

Say hello!!
FruFrihed

Greetings from Copenhagen

Post by FruFrihed »

I am a 26 year old dane who has read Mr Money Mustache and other early retirement blogs for the last year or so. After I graduated my husband (31 years old) and I have kept our expenses low and invested the surplus. We also bought an apartment in Copenhagen some years ago which has appreciated in value quite a lot since.

My husband really likes to work but I find it very stressful and I really don't like the culture of my industry (Investment Banking). Also, I am pregnant with our first child and I think I would like to take some years off at some point especially if we have more kids. Even though my husband could provide for me now if I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, I would like it much more if I knew we would still be working towards FI so that we don't depend on my husband's ability and/or desire to work until he is 67+.

My husband is on board with the FI goal - because as he says we can always use the money for a nicer apartment if I decide that I actually do like my job. I doubt it but maybe I would like a less intense job with fewer hours..?

I hope you will give me a warm welcome on this FI journey :D

Eureka

Re: Greetings from Copenhagen

Post by Eureka »

Warm welcome from me!

Always great to meet another Dane here and even more a female one as we are (still) the minority. I am in the same lucky situation that I bought an apartment in Copenhagen a while ago and have made a lot of passive income just by not being able to find a suitable place to rent.

Cool that you do investment banking as most of us ERE copenhageners are mere beginners regarding investments. Maybe we could profit a little from it one day? You are maybe already aware that we are a small group who holds quite regular meetups?

Congratulations with the coming wonderful ERE baby!

CreativeGirl

Post by CreativeGirl »

Hi and welcome :)

Great to have a fellow (female) Dane on board. Love to hear your thoughts on FI and whether you will strive to achieve this independently from your husband?

/CreativeGirl

Did

Post by Did »

Welcome ! Investment bankers rake in the coin, no?

Certainly doable!

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

Eureka wrote:Warm welcome from me!

Always great to meet another Dane here and even more a female one as we are (still) the minority. I am in the same lucky situation that I bought an apartment in Copenhagen a while ago and have made a lot of passive income just by not being able to find a suitable place to rent.

Cool that you do investment banking as most of us ERE copenhageners are mere beginners regarding investments. Maybe we could profit a little from it one day? You are maybe already aware that we are a small group who holds quite regular meetups?

Congratulations with the coming wonderful ERE baby!
Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, I have noticed that there seems to be a group of Danes meeting up once in a while. I would like to join you at one of the next meetings if you'll have me. I think my husband would like to join too.

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

CreativeGirl wrote:Hi and welcome :)

Great to have a fellow (female) Dane on board. Love to hear your thoughts on FI and whether you will strive to achieve this independently from your husband?

/CreativeGirl
Thank you! Our goal is to both be FI with our current living expenses (plus extra expenses for kids of course) and if my husband then wants to work more after that then we can use the extra income for a bigger apartment or something else (which is mostly my husband's wish). I guess I would be independently FI as, if we split up, I would have half the income from our investments, which I think would be good enough for living on my own. I guess with kids in the picture it is a bit more complicated but I could always move outside of Copenhagen where rent is much cheaper. Anyway, I hope of course that we stay together for the rest of our lives :)

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

Did wrote:Welcome ! Investment bankers rake in the coin, no?

Certainly doable!
Thank you! The pay is certainly good but the hours are many and the stress level is also quite high I would say.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

FruFrihed wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, I have noticed that there seems to be a group of Danes meeting up once in a while. I would like to join you at one of the next meetings if you'll have me. I think my husband would like to join too.
Welcome to the forums and ERE then!

Is there a reason you've not reacted in writing to this? :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=138528#p138528

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

Thank you! Oh, I missed that post! The agenda sounds very technical though. I am not sure I will be able to contribute that much to the discussion of Systems Thinking and the Renaissance Ideal...

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

FruFrihed wrote:Thank you! Oh, I missed that post! The agenda sounds very technical though. I am not sure I will be able to contribute that much to the discussion of Systems Thinking and the Renaissance Ideal...
That's not the point. The point is to meet the rest of the Danes first and foremost. Then get an introduction to the renaissance ideal , which is the differentiating factor between ere and other approaches to financial independence. For everyone new to ERE this is probably the best time at all to come to a meetup. Join the meetup, I'm not even asking politely anymore :lol:

You will demystify so many things about the whole deal if you show up.

Any and all questions you might have WILL contribute, were not meeting up for opinions and facts only.

Please consider joining.

Aurane

Post by Aurane »

Welcome FruFrihed! Looking forward to see you and your husband to one of the meetups, maybe with your background you know some things we don't! :)

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

FBeyer wrote:
FruFrihed wrote:Thank you! Oh, I missed that post! The agenda sounds very technical though. I am not sure I will be able to contribute that much to the discussion of Systems Thinking and the Renaissance Ideal...
That's not the point. The point is to meet the rest of the Danes first and foremost. Then get an introduction to the renaissance ideal , which is the differentiating factor between ere and other approaches to financial independence. For everyone new to ERE this is probably the best time at all to come to a meetup. Join the meetup, I'm not even asking politely anymore :lol:

Any and all questions you might have WILL contribute, were not meeting up for opinions and facts only.

Please consider joining.
Well in that case my husband and I would very much like to join :D

FruFrihed

Post by FruFrihed »

Aurane wrote:Welcome FruFrihed! Looking forward to see you and your husband to one of the meetups, maybe with your background you know some things we don't! :)
Thank you Aurane! Hope to see you too at the next meet up :D

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Which reminds me: aurane, are both of you coming or just one of 'you'?

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

FruFrihed wrote:
FBeyer wrote:

Please consider joining.
Well in that case my husband and I would very much like to join :D
I'll find two more chairs then. Thank you.

herp

Post by herp »

Belated welcome, FruFrihed!

It's great to see more danes on this board. Looking forward to reading about your ERE/FI journey.