Climate Change!

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
BRUTE

Re: Climate Change!

Post by BRUTE »

@jacob:

thanks for writing a 5724 word essay on this topic. this is part of why brute likes this place. humans here take discussion to very great depth.

to be honest, brute didn't do any of the math, even though jacob repeatedly asked for it. why? the reason is probably that brute is too lazy and just doesn't care.

this is probably at the heart of the issue of the "failure" - while the science might be clear cut, most humans don't care. the threat of climate change is so vague, so far away, and so morally diffuse ("if china doesn't do it the west is fucked anyway!") that it just doesn't make sense for the average human to care about it.

one thing brute doesn't understand; why does jacob care so much? he doesn't have any biological offspring, as far as brute knows. the dog will likely die before climate change ruins the planet. so why does jacob want to save the planet? is it just about someone (steveo73^^) being wrong on the internet?

maybe brute's attitude towards this is shaped by the diet/obesity discussion. maybe part of becoming a nihilistic, liberterian adult means realizing that many humans will use their liberty to do really stupid things that are really bad for them, and maybe everyone. brute isn't anybody's parent.

PA Hiker

Post by PA Hiker »

Isabel wrote:What I find problematic about the Climate Change Discussion is that it is driving our attention(and money) away from the pollution.
Probably the most sensible (pragmatic) comment on this long, protracted thread.

Besides the CO2 GW concerns, there is a long list of environmental harms caused by fossil fuel consumption, not to mention significant political/social justice issues. With renewables, not so much. Yes, there are environmental impacts - pollution from from PV manufacturing (mostly in unregulated China), bird/bat encounters with wind turbine blades, long term impacts on rivers caused by hydroelectric dams. Still, even with these negatives, solar and wind power coupled with a base load of nuclear (at least in the short term) is a much better alternative.

@Jacob

Thanks for the primer. I found it quite edifying. It is an impressive feat, building a case for AGW from the basic physics on up. My main take-away from reading your post is that it reinforces my belief that ‘laymen’ (such as myself) really don’t have a place at the table when it comes to serious AGW discussions. So if I’m not willing/capable of putting in the time/effort to become properly knowledgeable, what should my position on AGW be? Personally, I still reserve a modest degree of skepticism regarding AGW, but I am fully on board with trying to mitigate its potential effects because I believe that the positives of CO2 reduction far outweigh the negatives. This is probably true even if the catastrophic predictions wrt AGW prove to be false. In my view it is really just a matter of doing some basic risk analysis.

Oops! had wrong url - this one should work

https://youtu.be/zORv8wwiadQ

We can also look at the potential motivations of those making various claims about AGW. I tend to be optimistic about the motivations of the scientific community and pessimistic about the motivations of political/business class.

Fish

Post by Fish »

@jacob Thanks for writing all of that up. It matters to this starfish.

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

@Jacob

Thankyou so much for writing as you have.
I have tried working things through and I am clearly making an error but I can't see what:

I_sun pi r^2 (1-alpha) = 4pi r^2 sigma T^4 => T^4 = (1-alpha) I_sun / (4 sigma)

T^4= (0.67*1350)/(4*5.67e^-8)
T^4= 118883.44
T= 18.57

So rather far of the model answer, I currently can't see why :oops: .

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

5.67e-8 is engineering/calculator short-hand for 5.67*10^-8 = 0.0000000567 ... and not 5.67*exp(-8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan%E2 ... n_constant

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@brute - Hmmm... why do I care? Good question. I think it's mostly a combination of preserving these forums as a place on the internet where things are taken to great depth && "someone is wrong on the internet" => "Someone is uninformed on my forums". I don't care about people being uninformed elsewhere. I don't hang about climate websites or comment on climate science blogs. I don't do any kind of climate activism, neither one way nor the other. Presumably, the people who do this have an informed opinion except for those who just serve as useful idiots. I have read a handful of books about climate science, some of the seminal papers for historical background, and most of the AR5 report, but that's mainly because I want to have an informed opinion myself so I can take proper precautions, and with my particular physics background, it's been easy to read up, and kinda interesting too just from an intellectual standpoint.

As for why I weigh in here, it's this,
Harlan Ellison wrote:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed(*) opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
... in particular, I don't think misinformation should stand unopposed if it's being promoted deliberately. At least not on my turf.

Analogously, like my political example with the crazy uncle. One can argue that national politics don't really matter much personally anyway (compared to steak) and therefore there's no incentive to learn even rudimentary civics. That's fair. However, without further insight one can not make the argument that national politics is irrelevant, period. Now, insofar one wants to have a useful rational debate about a given national policy issue, one should at least understand the basics about the issue. If the issue is "freedom of speech", the participants should at least go read the words composing the actual first amendment---that seems like a reasonable first step? But that rarely happens. Instead, everybody carries on like a bunch of crazy uncles based on some TV program they just watched trying to convince each other based on which channel the program appeared on and what they guess the Constitution might say because nobody can be bothered to look it up and read it. For climate science, I think one should at least understand the basic physical mechanism and the relevant physics so as not to base one's opinion on misinformed beliefs that contradict fundamental results in atomic physics or thermodynamics.

(*) I understand that subjects can be complicated and that people don't need to be an expert before having any opinion. However, I do think one's [strength of] opinion should be proportional to how informed one is. If one is more opinionated than informed (crazy uncle style), I think time is better spent getting informed than debating on an uninformed level. It's the reluctance to break that habit that creates Mt Stupid. If I don't know anything about something, I think my opinion has little weight and therefore I will not speculate, make claims, or have an opinion. That's good enough for most things. If I want to have an opinion, I will get informed. If getting informed requires too much effort, then I will look at who appears to be informed and go with the most informed as a proxy. If I can't tell the difference, then I will default to not having an opinion; otherwise I will learn enough to figure out how to evaluate those experts. This evaluation should not be based on who gets paid by who or who is the better speaker. I'm not hiring for the debate team. Most importantly, if I can't figure out who's the actual expert, it does not mean that the real answer is undecided or in the middle.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@ Jacob

1) I skipped this one for now.
2) 10% closer = 265K; 10% farther = 239.7K; Albedo - 1% = 250.4K

I used a spreadsheet instead of a calculator using the formula T^4 = (Sun Luminosity in Watts x Albedo)/16π x (Earth Distance from Sun)^2 x Sigma.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jacob wrote:If I don't know anything about something, I think my opinion has little weight and therefore I will not speculate, make claims, or have an opinion. That's good enough for most things. If I want to have an opinion, I will get informed.
this is pretty much also brute's position - and why brute doesn't have a strong opinion on AGW. he's not very informed, and he doesn't want to be. so he does not have a strong opinion. steak, on the other hand..

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Brute

Hopefully AGW doesn't cause steak to go up in price. :twisted:

In all seriousness some logical conclusions can be derived via natural observation that should help formulate SOME opinion without needing an advanced degree to understand it. I don't need to be fully versed in the laws of thermodynamics to understand fire is hot and an inordinate amount of it will be extremely uncomfortable or dangerous - especially if it's my couch we are talking about.

Global warming can be directly observed. Species that used to migrate or hibernate during winter no longer do so. Snowfall has increased in some areas but disappears quickly. Winters are shorter and warmer. Species that prefer warmer climates are now found further north every year.

Warmer earth means a more green earth but it also means certain climates will change and arid regions vs natural watersheds will swap or grow/shrink. It also means that disease carrying insects and rodents will increase in number and move further north which is happening today.

I'm not sure where Brute lives or in what latitude. But I hope you never get bitten by the Lone-Star tick. It can potentially make you allergic to red meat:
Last edited by Campitor on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vezkor

Post by vezkor »

@jacob

Thank you very much for caring enough to write all of that out. I read every word and followed along with the science and a calculator. If you didn't care: we wouldn't have the blog, the forums, or the book. I, for one, am very glad you care.

I've had to backspace and delete at least a dozen posts that could have been reported for "flaming" thanks to threads like this. Each time it's been out of respect for this peculiar ecosystem. I'm mortified that others have the audacity to take bullshit, lies, fiction, misleading and incorrect information and present it as "fact" on this forum. It seems, to me, if they do this knowingly it would be very disrespectful. If they do this unknowingly, they should stop talking and start listening so they can get informed.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I echo Vezkor's statement (well stated too). I'm glad Jacob took the time to write up his essay. I don't know any nuclear astrophysicists or respected climatologists. And the amount of disinformation is so large it's hard finding accurate reading material without a guide to point you to the correct sources so I was very happy when Jacob spoke up and provided data/reading material. I don't know Jacob but I have read his BIO and followed along when he takes the time to explain science/finance/economics which I've actually taken the time to corroborate by other respected 3rd parties (mostly in regards to the formulas he posts if I haven't encountered them). I respect Jacob's credentials and I listen when he speaks science - In all honesty I was surprised it took him this long to aim his science bazooka at Steveo and enlighten the rest of us.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

so why does jacob want to save the planet?
I know this question was for Jacob but I'd like to give one of my reasons too. In rock climbing there is a concept known as "stealing from the future." When a route is just a little too hard for anyone to climb we don't chip the rock or add holds to make it easier. Instead, we leave it alone so that some stronger climber in the future can climb it.

It's not a perfect analogy but I feel like this about preserving resources and protecting the environment. The current lifestyle choices of many people (and they are choices as everyone on this forum should know) are going to cause irreparable damage to our one possible home so that the people can own more plastic trinkets from China and drive oversized cars everywhere.

I don't want to use up the planet just so I can have some shit I don't really need and cost some future person the opportunity for a good life, whether it be hiking on glaciers in Glacier National Park or being able to cross country ski in the midwest or everyday basics that require a good environment. I know not everyone sees the value in nature but I do and I want it to be around in the best form possible for future people who might love it too.

It's not even asking that much really. I'm not asking that we all live in one room huts and subsistence farm and never leave our village. Just giving up some plastic junk and cut back on the driving and invest in technology that makes sense would help a lot. In many ways the changes actually improve quality of life. Local vegetables taste better. Living closer to work shortens a commute that no one likes anyway. Replacing old windows gives someone a job and makes your house more comfortable.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

http://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/ ... y-2017.pdf
There is growing evidence that climate models are running too hot and that climate
sensitivity to carbon dioxide is at the lower end of the range provided by the IPCC.

Nevertheless, these lower values of climate sensitivity are not accounted for in IPCC
climate model projections of temperature at the end of the 21st century or in estimates
of the impact on temperatures of reducing carbon dioxide emissions. The IPCC
climate model projections focus on the response of the climate to different scenarios
of emissions. The 21st century climate model projections do not include:
• a range of scenarios for volcanic eruptions (the models assume that the volcanic
activity will be comparable to the 20th century, which had much lower volcanic
activity than the 19th century
∗ Working Group I is the scientific assessment.
• a possible scenario of solar cooling, analogous to the solar minimum being predicted
by Russian scientists
• the possibility that climate sensitivity is a factor of two lower than that simulated
by most climate models
• realistic simulations of the phasing and amplitude of decadal- to century-scale
natural internal variability
The climate modelling community has been focused on the response of the climate
to increased human caused emissions, and the policy community accepts (either explicitly
or implicitly) the results of the 21st century GCM simulations as actual predictions.
Hence we don’t have a good understanding of the relative climate impacts of
the above or their potential impacts on the evolution of the 21st century climate.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

@steveo The front page of that document is like a who's who of climate change deniers in the UK.