Is it more fun to work a corporate/white-collar job in the city, suburbs, or a rural locale?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Is it more fun to work a corporate/white-collar job in the city, suburbs, or a rural locale?

Post by TopHatFox »

Thoughts?

BRUTE

Re: Is it more fun to work a corporate/white-collar job in the city, suburbs, or a rural locale?

Post by BRUTE »

brute's advice to Olaz: advice is useless. some things needs to be experienced to be evaluated. Olaz will have to try something and see if he likes it.

Spartan_Warrior

Re: Is it more fun to work a corporate/white-collar job in the city, suburbs, or a rural locale?

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

The locale that is more fun to work at is whichever of the three you also prefer to live in, because the least fun possible is commuting from one to another.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

I agree with the sentiment above:
You need to try different things before you can really decide and to have fun you need to live in a place where you can have fun in so commuting does not take up your time.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Personally I like cities more than suburbs or rurals right now.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

There's no right answer to this.

Probably depends if you are looking for particular people or particular activities. The trend for those in their 20s is to move to cities, particularly in the more popular ones in the Northeast and West/Northwest. This is one of the reasons a company like GE recently moved from suburban Connecticut to Boston and Silicon Valley people have been migrating to San Francisco.

But if you like particular activities, you might just want to go where you can do them. As a practical matter, you probably won't find too many corporate/white collar jobs in rural America, with the exception of places like Bentonville and Springdale, Arkansas (Walmart and Tysons Foods HQs, respectively.)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I think now is the time to try to live in different environments and different ways and get employers to pay for the journey.

Between age 0 and 41 (now), I've actually never relocated any distance in the range of 10M and 750M. It was always either more or just across town/next city over. I'd suggest trying some different countries or aspects of one country ... or city, burb, rural, ... and see what you like. While getting paid.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jacob wrote: Between age 0 and 41 (now), I've actually never relocated any distance in the range of 10M and 750M. It was always either more or just across town/next city over.
Good advice; what are you saying here?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

That I suggest spending one's rookie years trying to live(*) in different locations (either states, countries, or continents) and in different settings (city, rural, urban) and under different roofs (room, ap, house, rv, or boat) and in different social settings (single, shared, married) and ways (own, rent, visit) ...

(*) Not just travel-to or hang out, but study, work, or otherwise become a part of the place.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make* the better."
*On someone else's dime.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

I agree with the notion that you need to try for yourself.

However some things to consider are:

political factors: cities are going to be more liberal, while rural areas are more conservative and suburbs in between

demographics: cities have more 'diversity', with rural areas having less

transportation: it may be possible to bike or use public transportation in a city, impossible to do so in most suburbs and all rural areas