Getting Things Done for INTJs?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Gilberto de Piento

Getting Things Done for INTJs?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I have a bad habit of getting 90% of the way through a project and losing motivation. I understand this is typical of the INTJ personality, common on this forum. Any tips for how to complete long projects?

OTCW

Re: Getting Things Done for INTJs?

Post by OTCW »

I am similar. I try to make checklists of small steps of a project before I start, then check off each as I complete them. That seems to work for me.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I promise myself a small reward if I finish something 100% - its a real motivator. I've gone the other route as well - Tell a friend that you will give him/her <insert-hurtful-dollar-amount-here> if you don't finish something by a given date. OTCW's suggestion about making a project plan works well too.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

accepting that things don't need to be finished

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

"Waiting is."

I mostly follow Brute's advice. Sometimes deadlines help.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:Any tips for how to complete long projects?
Working on them as collections of small projects helps me(*). As Brute says, not all projects have to be completed. Also look at faster ways to bootstrap your long project; if you can buy the airplane instead of building it, then it will get off the ground much sooner, but buying a helicopter might be even better because then you can land it anywhere that's not a forest rather than limiting yourself to airstrips.

(*) I say this as someone who has collected a lifetime of projects and now only attacks the ones that draw my interest or have a built-in deadline (e.g. gardening).

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:Any tips for how to complete long projects?
I struggled with this for a long time, my solution is timeboxing, for my big projects I have a set routine every day. For my last big project which took two years I worked on it for 3 hours every day starting at the same time. I didn't worry about what I achieved each day, just that I was present and doing something.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I would say what BRUTE said, and just add that what I've found is that for the most part, if finishing something is important (to me), I finish it without any special effort or whatever. Sometimes it can get to be a compulsion where I can't relax with undone things around me.

It's things that fall short of truly mattering to me (even though they might have held some degree of interest) that I can have difficulty buttoning up 100%. I'm not a big student of BM, but I'm kind of surprised we INTJs as a group struggle to get things done.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

I can lose interest before the end in some projects. The problem projects are those where by 90% way through all the problems have been solved and the last 10% is usually just keep on going, nothing new to learn. When its a project where that last part is a challenge then I will have less of a problem. I now recognise that often my solution in the workplace and in study was to put stuff off until the meet-the-final-deadline rush was enough of a challenge to grip and retain my attention. Then I would start working and finish in one heady inventive/creative rush. Its not a healthy planning system and its one which in retirement I am trying to break.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

can lose interest before the end in some projects. The problem projects are those where by 90% way through all the problems have been solved and the last 10% is usually just keep on going, nothing new to learn.
This is a good description of the issue.
I'm not a big student of BM, but I'm kind of surprised we INTJs as a group struggle to get things done.
I tried to find a source for this when I posted originally but I didn't come up with anything. Maybe my memory is faulty.
I struggled with this for a long time, my solution is timeboxing, for my big projects I have a set routine every day.
I'm going to try this, thanks!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :D