Trump - Clown Genius

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Gilberto de Piento

Re: Trump - Clown Genius

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I have a story that somewhat relates to this issue that I just remembered. I was involved in a peaceful protest where, after a few days, some people showed up who did their best to start a fight with the protesters. One agitator would get in the face of a protester, insult them with some really foul commentary, and try to get the protester to push or hit them. The interesting thing is that when this happened there was always the same person filming the action. It was an organized effort to try to incite violence and get it on video in order to make the protesters look violent.

I don't have any evidence of this, just a personal anecdote.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Gilberto de Piento wrote: Certainly every news organization has made mistakes but there is a big difference between NPR or the BBC and Breitbart. This is exactly what the people who want to control you hope you will do.
I've never listened to or read a word from Breitbart or his organization (though I have heard Ben Shapiro a few times who was at one time associated with them I believe). What I heard was an audio clip someone at work played for me from a prominent conservative commentator (who repeatedly declares he is not a journalist, but a commentator, and is not Rush or Drudge) who is openly partisan. Two years ago I would have believed he would have the facts reasonably correct even when I thought he was off in the weeds with his interpretation/opinion on them. Now I don't know. And as I opened with, I also might have misheard what he was saying because I really was only half-listening out of politeness.

I listen to NPR every day but my faith in their objectivity is swirling in the bowl and all but flushed away. But they are still better than most. The main problem is their editorial decisions on what to cover as "news". It gets to be spin by omission/imbalance. It's worse from the MSM. Just because something isn't reported doesn't mean it didn't happen (and sometimes the converse).

That said, in hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned it, and I'll apologize for that. It seemed to provide some insight into why some folks have a bone to pick with Berkley. But again it might not be accurate. That the campus police shut down the event once things got out of hand is understandable from a safety perspective, though arguably security could have been more proactive. UC Berkley aside, the event doesn't speak well of tolerance for differing viewpoints in our country at this time. Milo Y is a blatant agitator, but it's not like the same sort of agitation isn't coming from some facets of the other side (he's really just a copycat, IMO).

I'd meant to stay away from this thread/topic. I hopefully won't backslide again. :) My guitar calls ...

Chad

Post by Chad »

Yes, this will bring everyone together.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/02/m ... -amendment

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

IlliniDave wrote: That said, in hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned it, and I'll apologize for that. It seemed to provide some insight into why some folks have a bone to pick with Berkley. But again it might not be accurate.
I think Trump knows who his people are, and some of them do have a bone to pick with UC Berkeley. To people in the midwest (well, a couple conversations at the brewpub I was at tonight), the UC Berkleyans are a bunch of 'hippieliberalfaggots' who don't let other people hear differing viewpoints. There's obviously some commonsense truth to this. If this Milo dude wants to talk to people who want to hear him, it's pretty shitty of people to prevent that.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
IlliniDave wrote: That said, in hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned it, and I'll apologize for that. It seemed to provide some insight into why some folks have a bone to pick with Berkley. But again it might not be accurate.
I think Trump knows who his people are, and some of them do have a bone to pick with UC Berkeley. To people in the midwest (well, a couple conversations at the brewpub I was at tonight), the UC Berkleyans are a bunch of 'hippieliberalfaggots' who don't let other people hear differing viewpoints. There's obviously some commonsense truth to this. If this Milo dude wants to talk to people who want to hear him, it's pretty shitty of people to prevent that.
What part of the Midwest are you in? That sounds quite unlike the Midwest I am a native of. I currently live in a southern state and they'll only go so far as to dismissively refer to a place like UC Berkley as a bunch of communists :) . Milo Y is an interesting character who appears to be on a crusade to adopt some of the left's recent rhetorical tactics and leverage his "status" as an openly gay conservative. I don't see where he adds a ton of value to the discussion, but I agree it's sad to see people silenced via violence or threats of violence. I think all three of his scheduled appearances on UC-system campuses were ultimately shut down one way or another. The great irony is that the side that accuses the other side of fascism sees that as a victory.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Chad wrote:Yes, this will bring everyone together.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/02/m ... -amendment
Personally I feel the Johnson Amendment should be repealed because it limits free speech and is selectively enforced. Depending on the party in charge, they often selectively use this amendment to stifle political speeches for Churches but not organizations like Planned Parenthood and visa-versa. The loss of tax exempt status leaves an organization vulnerable to retribution via punitive taxes and fines - an organization could be taxed out of existence. Repealing this law would mean Planned Parenthood could openly advocate for candidates that support its mission and Churches can advocate for candidates that support theirs without fear of retaliatory tax burdens. This law needs to go and it should be a bipartisan effort.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... d-legisla/
http://www.factcheck.org/2017/02/planne ... democrats/

Chad

Post by Chad »

That would be fine, except the religious side is always trying to force others to live how they live. For example, Planned Parenthood does not force anyone to have an abortion or use birth control, while the religious side wants to force people not too.

This is a huge difference.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Chad wrote:That would be fine, except the religious side is always trying to force others to live how they live. For example, Planned Parenthood does not force anyone to have an abortion or use birth control, while the religious side wants to force people not too.

This is a huge difference.
I agree that it is a huge difference which is why the power of Johnson amendment shouldn't be available to anyone. As long as it's a law, it will be abused regardless if one side abuses it more than the other.
Last edited by Campitor on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chad

Post by Chad »

This has nothing to do with Dodd-Frank.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

IlliniDave wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
What part of the Midwest are you in? That sounds quite unlike the Midwest I am a native of. I currently live in a southern state and they'll only go so far as to dismissively refer to a place like UC Berkley as a bunch of communists :) . Milo Y is an interesting character who appears to be on a crusade to adopt some of the left's recent rhetorical tactics and leverage his "status" as an openly gay conservative. I don't see where he adds a ton of value to the discussion, but I agree it's sad to see people silenced via violence or threats of violence. I think all three of his scheduled appearances on UC-system campuses were ultimately shut down one way or another. The great irony is that the side that accuses the other side of fascism sees that as a victory.
Cincinnati. I'm sure people who politely disparage while sober get more enthusiastic in their cups. In vino veritas. I am not familiar with this Milo dude, but I don't think it's a good idea to try to suppress viewpoints and information in general.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Chad wrote:This has nothing to do with Dodd-Frank.
Fixed - I had Dodd-Frank on my mind from another thread. Thanks for pointing it out.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

bryan wrote:That's what I mean, he should be condemning the violence-lubbers along with some inspirational message or something.. not threatening the University/peaceful protesters or pitting Americans against each other. From all reports the University was completely doing the right things (despite their historical penchant for using pepper spray on people). https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/827141794211049472
Dozens of UCB police caught standing around in UC while rioters destroy businesses and beat people say otherwise.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

JohnnyH wrote:
bryan wrote:That's what I mean, he should be condemning the violence-lubbers along with some inspirational message or something.. not threatening the University/peaceful protesters or pitting Americans against each other. From all reports the University was completely doing the right things (despite their historical penchant for using pepper spray on people). https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/827141794211049472
Dozens of UCB police caught standing around in UC while rioters destroy businesses and beat people say otherwise.
The videos I watched showed the Police weren't perturbed by the games of human piñata but did intervene once the ATMs started being desecrated and merchant materials were used as bonfire fuel. I imagine tear-gas and water cannons would have been deployed if a Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme was attacked.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Campitor wrote:
Chad wrote:This has nothing to do with Dodd-Frank.
Fixed - I had Dodd-Frank on my mind from another thread. Thanks for pointing it out.
I kind of assumed, but wasn't 100% sure.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I really hope he doesn't understand what he is doing. If he does, this is all very dangerous.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-claims ... 17625.html

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

We're getting the clown genius president we knew as a candidate before the election. Those who believed it was an act and he would be different were regrettably mistaken.

subgard

Post by subgard »

I really hope he doesn't understand what he is doing. If he does, this is all very dangerous.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-claims ... 17625.html
It's a classic psychopath trick.

In interpersonal life, psychopaths seek to destroy the credibility of those around them before they even say anything bad about the psychopath.
The more likely a person is to report something negative about the psychopath, the more likely the psychopath will do this. If the psychopath suspects you've realized what they're really like, prepare for a full on character assassination behind your back.

Trump will continue to do this. Notice how he attempted to discredit the Congressional Budget office before they even reported on the healthcare replacement plan.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

tax returns leaked

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Somewhere in the beginning, Trump said something to the effect that he could be different things to different people. And now president Trump is no longer candidate Trump... just WHO did the country elect?!? Today's flip-flop quotes:

NATO: "I said it was obsolete. It's no longer obsolete," Trump said, adding that the Transatlantic alliance was adapting to the broader mission against Islamic militants that he had urged.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-n ... 40818.html

Interest rates: “I do like a low-interest rate policy, I must be honest with you,” Trump told the Journal.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trum ... 53931.html
President Donald Trump said Wednesday the U.S. dollar “is getting too strong” and he would prefer the Federal Reserve keep interest rates low.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says ... 1492024312

Chinese currency manipulation: Mr. Trump, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, also said his administration won’t label China a currency manipulator in a report due this week.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says ... 1492024312

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

one thing that seems unique to Trump, as far as brute has experienced in humans: he does not seem to hold any beliefs. i.e. his thoughts are entirely ephemeral. he can literally contradict the beginning of the sentence at the end of the sentence, and not conceive a logical contradiction.

brute therefore thinks it's a mistake to attribute a mental model to Trump that centers around "beliefs", "fli-flopping", or "lying". there's just no there there.