Hi from Denmark

Say hello!!
CreativeGirl

Hi from Denmark

Post by CreativeGirl »

Hello everybody

I'm with you from Denmark (as well as many others :) ).

I fell over Mr. Money Mustache's blog a little over a year ago and I have been on fire ever since then. I was not sure whether I should join the forum, but I think I need some like minded people before I drive my friends and family crazy. And my colleauges too. I have talked about Mr. Money Mustache and Jakob to many of them now, but I don't think any of them have bought the idea yet. All I have received is a blank stare, haha :shock:

I have tried to calculate how much money I could save within ten years, but it was not impressive enough so I gave up the idea, and bought a lot of stuff for the house etc. When I read Mr. Money Mustache I figured out how to save up more aggressively and also the idea that you don't really need all that stuff. The year before I spend decluttering using the KonMari method, and it also helped a lot. Now I'm hoping to retire within 8 years 8-)

About me: I'm 35 years old, married with 3 children, engineer, working in a biotech company, interests: playing music, water sports, creative stuff, reading and many more.

Cheers

Aurane

Re: Hi from Denmark

Post by Aurane »

Welcome to the forum CreativeGirl! I'm a bit new as well :)

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Hi and welcome!

So what do you want to do with your time once you retire? My experience is that you avoid those blank stares if you enthusiastically tell what you would prefer to do with your time (ie great exciting stuff) - instead of telling what you do not like (ie work).

Anyway, good luck with your journey

A fellow Dane

CreativeGirl

Post by CreativeGirl »

@Aurane Thanks, I think it's great to start at your age, so thumps up for that.

@Eureka: I want to read, travel, sail away into the sunset, do some gardening, play music, exercise more and participate in various competitions and a lot of other things :) I think it is difficult for many Danes to imaging that it is possible to retire within 5-10-15 years. Do you talk openly about it?

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

It depends. I talk openly about my excitement about ERE to say my son and most friends and not to say my colleagues and some other friends. Basically everyone I tell gets my excitement and wants me to try it out so that they can see how it works, before eventually trying themselves. Most doubt that it is possible outside of theory, though.

But, anyway, I am not very typical and for long stretches of my adult life I have worked (and lived for) very little and done things I really wanted to do (learned stuff and lived in various countries) for years on end. The new thing - after discovering the ERE way of thinking - is that I now have gotten a goal to learn to obtain enough passive income to be financially independent for the rest of my life instead of having to look for new money, ie work, every now and then.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

Eureka wrote:
My experience is that you avoid those blank stares if you enthusiastically tell what you would prefer to do with your time (ie great exciting stuff) - instead of telling what you do not like (ie work).
Well put. This is the reason I don't discuss FI and ERE even with some of the closest people around. I have to work on my pitch!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Welcome to the forums.
With the influx of Danes I'm surprised that none of us so far know each other outside of ERE.