Help a Noob Build a Bike

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
vexed87

Re: Help a Noob Build a Bike

Post by vexed87 »

If you somehow managed to force the bearings in, you're still going to have problems turning the steerer smoothly unless you can do a really good job of hammering it back into a shape... it's pretty much buggered though IMO. I hear of people keeping damaged frames for DIY tandem projects...

https://cdn.instructables.com/FWM/IC99/ ... MEDIUM.jpg

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I think the frame is probably still usable. I can see a few approaches:
1. Press fit something (an old headset bearing?) down into the tube to hopefully force it back into shape. Or you could try something like a pipe expander, though this risks expanding it too far. The damage isn't that bad so doesn't have that far to go.
2. If the headtube extends far enough past the top tube, cut off the damaged section of headtube. Keeping the cut square with the tube may be a challenge. You could pay a framebuilder to do this.
3.Pay a framebuilder to cut off the old headtube and replace it.
4. Sell it as is.

I think the chartreuse color looks good. If you want to paint it you can clean it with a degreaser to remove any chemical residue, scuff it with a green dish pad or very fine sandpaper, and paint with spray paint. Expect the paint not to hold up very well compared to factory paint.

Ego

Post by Ego »

+1 Gilberto
I would try the rounded end of a ball pein hammer.... carefully... or perhaps a pair of vice grips clamping down on something rounded to the correct circumference (on both sides)... but that's just me.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

What would I need to try cutting it? The bend is very shallow so that had occurred to me. Just need the right saw, and like you said, need to keep it square. But if I'm only a little off, maybe i could file it square. If it were pressed against a perfectly flat plate and just chopped, would that about do it?

Spray paint is the only non-option, as I live in an apartment and have no outside space to my name. Don't want to pay anyone to paint it, either.

Gilberto de Piento

How far from the edge of the tube does the bend start? As in, how much material do you need to remove?

If you want to go the direction of removing material, I would probably take it to a shop and ask if it is realistic to have the material removed by reaming/facing the frame. This process is normally done to make sure the place where the headset bearings are installed is square and the proper size. In your case it would be done to remove the bent material.

You may have to try a few shops before you get one that will consider this idea. Bike shops usually want to sell you something new.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... and-facing

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Seems like only a few millimeters. Don't have it near me but around 5mm I'd guess. I found a pipe cutter online for $18. Maybe I can cut off the affected strip and bring it in for reaming and facing? Or should I just try to have all of that material faced off and forego the pipe cutter? There are tons of bike shops in my area so chances are I can find one willing to charge me for the service. Many of them will let you use their tools in their workspace for cheap or free, as well.

Gilberto de Piento

I'd skip the pipe cutter and ask some shops if the reamer/facer will do it. You may find someone who has addressed this issue before.

You might also try posting this issue on a bike forum for more opinions.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I agree with the pipe expander idea, if you can find one that will go down to that small of a diameter. They are made for exhaust pipes, to make it easier to fit mufflers and stuff on.