Best Cardiovascular Exercise? Best way to "go on a run"?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

Best Cardiovascular Exercise? Best way to "go on a run"?

Post by TopHatFox »

Believe it or not, I've actually never "gone on a run" since high school cross country. Mostly just weight training.

So, what's the best cardiovascular exercise? I've heard good things about doing cardio at the target heart rate (220 - age * .6 and .8) while also in katabolic state (a.k.a empty stomach, warrior diet). But then, what's a good way to accurately measure one's heart rate without fancy technology like a fitbit?

I can see myself running to the store or class already...

Fancy fit man know's what's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUNCcWpUgyM

BRUTE

Re: Best Cardiovascular Exercise? Best way to "go on a run"?

Post by BRUTE »

tabata sprints will fuck Olaz up good
high rep kettlebell swings
burpees

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Olaz wrote:But then, what's a good way to accurately measure one's heart rate without fancy technology like a fitbit?
A watch and 2 fingers will do just fine to take your pulse. No fancy tech needed. After a while you will just know what your heart rate is without checking it. At least that happens with me during running or cycling.

bryan

Post by bryan »

If you could only do one exercise for the rest of your life, without spending too much time, I think (some variation of) burpees are pretty good.

I think Tim Ferris has some popular opinions on the subject?

I usually look at V02Max/anaerobic threshold (AT). Cross country skiing, rowing, bicycling, seem to be pretty good endurance sports.

I would hardly call a heart rate monitor fancy tech (low-tech is two fingers to your carotid artery, having a decent internal clock, and multipication skills). As @RealPerson mentions, you will eventually be able to estimate with high confidence what your heart rate is (I stopped wearing my monitor while training because I would always be within <5bpm of my expectation). You would then only need it when you are more strict (or need to further teach yourself what it feels like to do certain transitions of heart rate and how long those last, etc). You can also get a solid feeling of what your AT is, etc.

edit: I no longer think you are @jacob in disguise, but rather @jacob's chat bot/AI/machine learning experiments.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

BRUTE wrote:tabata sprints will fuck Olaz up good
high rep kettlebell swings
burpees
Again I ALMOST agree with you. But I'd swap swings for double kettlebell long cycle. I find that grip strength is somewhat of a limiting factor for swings so you can't just go heavier and it's hard to up the pace a whole lot. But keeping up the pace with two KB for long cycle can only be done if you're using your entire body to do so, Thus more muscles worked should mean need for more oxygen delivered should lead to faster breating and faster heart rate... no?

Maybe it's just my form, but long cycle if f**** killing me at the moment.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

edit: I no longer think you are @jacob in disguise, but rather @jacob's chat bot/AI/machine learning experiments.
Ha! I have joked to myself before that Zalo=Jacob. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Apparently it's not that unusual [for forumites] to believe that I'm running some kind of sockpuppet scheme around here. Some also think I'm brute. #killroywashere

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

#freebruteolaz2017

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Fitness? For what? That's the question before you can pick an optimal exercise modality.

Health doesn't require much. A little walking every day.

Running is bad for the body, I am convinced. I've known a lot of runners, never known one living without pain.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

FBeyer wrote:swap swings for double kettlebell long cycle
brute hasn't done that before (2-KB c&j for reps, right?). sounds like it would be more technically limiting than swings? but anything with a reasonable kettlebell is going to be brutal, so brute can believe it.

also: jacob is brute's 2nd account.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

jacob wrote:Apparently it's not that unusual [for forumites] to believe that I'm running some kind of sockpuppet scheme around here. Some also think I'm brute. #killroywashere
Shows my lack of imagination again. Neither of those ever occurred to me.

On another note, if you can't run without pain, there's something wrong with your body. People were made to run.

And climb, don't forget that. We're versatile.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

So, what's the best cardiovascular exercise? I've heard good things about doing cardio at the target heart rate (220 - age * .6 and .8) while also in katabolic state (a.k.a empty stomach, warrior diet). But then, what's a good way to accurately measure one's heart rate without fancy technology like a fitbit?
The best cardio is the cardio you will do. Just go for a run, not too fast, not too slow, not too short, not too long. Don't worry so much about all this Tim Ferriss optimization BS (unless you're competing and going for that last couple of percent of performance, and then I still wouldn't listen to Tim Ferriss).

bryan

Post by bryan »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:Don't worry so much about all this Tim Ferriss optimization BS (unless you're competing and going for that last couple of percent of performance, and then I still wouldn't listen to Tim Ferriss).
If you're competing I would absolutely stay away from advice from Tim Ferriss (or cross-fit). To be fair I think he says as much? You will need more specialized training/advice. Cross-training could be useful as part of a diversified training plan. There's a difference between fitness and training.

If you're an average person looking for fitness, maybe his advice on doing some body-weight (or kettlebell) HIIT sessions is the only way your sorry-ass will get any exercise :lol: My own advice (other than what I already mentioned above...) would be to join a team sport.