Scary articles on sitting all day and what to do about it:

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

Scary articles on sitting all day and what to do about it:

Post by TopHatFox »

https://www.bustle.com/articles/144401- ... your-chair

http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-sitti ... nteract-it

There are useful listicles, it seems (if still annoying, trying to push product, and focused on baby steps). Anyway, I wonder how lying down for long periods of time affects the body? Like sleeping 10 hours instead of 7-8, or reading a book/being on the laptop for hours at a time. I'm guilty of that often ><

Lemon

Re: Scary articles on sitting all day and what to do about it:

Post by Lemon »

The primary issue is being sedentary. Lying down instead doesn't really solve that!

Focusing on being active minimum 5 episodes of 30mins vigorous exercise a week plus 2 resistance based sessions. Hit those and you are getting most of the benefits.

For me getting to that consistently is the first goal. can you do better? Of course although sitting a lot is still probably not the biggest problem.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

As if working on your feet all day is easy on the body!

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Yeah, I definitely agree with that idea. The latter part of the first article went into achieving a guideline balance between standing and sitting: at minimum 10 minutes of standing per hour, at max 4 out of 8 hours. The exact amount is obviously personal, and some walking around and exercise is good too.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Sitting is the new smoking.
There are cubes designed for standing, or sitting in a tall stool.
There are air filled balance disks https://www.amazon.com/HemingWeigh-Bala ... B00HS5IGW4

That will develop lower body strength and balance while standing. City folk let their small muscles in the feet and ankles atrophy, always being on even, level surfaces. This will help.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

When I work at home, I sit on the floor in the Hero Pose in front of my laptop which is on a low table. I can remain in this position for much longer without any ill effects than sitting in a chair at a desk or remaining still on my feet. As you can see in the photo, this pose maintains the spine in healthy extended position and aids in maintenance of knee and hip flexibility. When I am in a classroom, I will walk laps around the room, which has the added benefit of helping to keep the kids in order.