$10 for .75 Mbps....I don't think so

Move along, nothing to see here!
TheRedHare

$10 for .75 Mbps....I don't think so

Post by TheRedHare »

So I'm having this internet issue. I live in a house that's got about 20 people living in it. I'm currently waiting on the property manager to send someone to fix my Ethernet jack bc it's not working. So I'm stuck with this really bad wireless internet. The connection is fine, but the speed and latency is just terrible..and it's definitely not worth paying $10 a month for.

That being said, is there any way to get my own ISP for my personal use? It'd be more expensive, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for decent internet.
I know that if I bought an older desktop I could figure out how to make a router out of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledv33t6SNE&t=207s
But I don't want to go through all the pain of doing that to find out the speed is just the same.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lucky C

Re: $10 for .75 Mbps....I don't think so

Post by Lucky C »

So the bottleneck is that there is one wireless router for 20 people? Setting up your own wireless router with a different SSID and IP should work. Otherwise if the bottleneck is the internet service speed rather than the router (is everyone else using wireless or wired?) you would want your own internet service, but I don't think that's possible at a single house. You should be able to figure out the bottleneck using Speedtest on your wireless vs. a wall connection, just borrow someone else's to test if yours isn't working.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Lucky C wrote:So the bottleneck is that there is one wireless router for 20 people? Setting up your own wireless router with a different SSID and IP should work. Otherwise if the bottleneck is the internet service speed rather than the router (is everyone else using wireless or wired?) you would want your own internet service, but I don't think that's possible at a single house. You should be able to figure out the bottleneck using Speedtest on your wireless vs. a wall connection, just borrow someone else's to test if yours isn't working.
Pretty much everyone is using wireless. I believe there are 2 routers, one for the downstairs people and one for the upstairs. I wanted to go wired but my Ethernet port on the wall isn't working. I mentioned it to my property manager who said he'd get someone to fix it. I'm hoping that if I go wired that it will increase the speed a lot, but I'm not too sure.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

I would think wired would help a lot also. Certainly worth the wait for the Ethernet port fix.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Got any solution, if the internet is the same speed?

Chris

Post by Chris »

You can plug directly in to the router to do a speed test; no need to wait for your Ethernet jack to be fixed.

If that speed still isn't acceptable, then you can pay for a higher level of service or like you said, get a dedicated link for yourself. If the house has cable internet access right now, you could get DSL or whatever the local phone company is offering. Assuming the building is wired as one drop, you wouldn't be able to get a second account with the cable company without them running a new drop.

You should find out what your class of service is though. If everyone is getting .75Mbps and all 20 are using it concurrently, that's only 15Mpbs for the whole building, which clearly isn't cutting it. However, if the building is getting a higher class of service, but you're still getting crappy speeds, then maybe you have someone hogging bandwidth. At the router, you might be able to set some QoS rules to allow for more equitable sharing.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Chris wrote:You can plug directly in to the router to do a speed test; no need to wait for your Ethernet jack to be fixed.

If that speed still isn't acceptable, then you can pay for a higher level of service or like you said, get a dedicated link for yourself. If the house has cable internet access right now, you could get DSL or whatever the local phone company is offering. Assuming the building is wired as one drop, you wouldn't be able to get a second account with the cable company without them running a new drop.

You should find out what your class of service is though. If everyone is getting .75Mbps and all 20 are using it concurrently, that's only 15Mpbs for the whole building, which clearly isn't cutting it. However, if the building is getting a higher class of service, but you're still getting crappy speeds, then maybe you have someone hogging bandwidth. At the router, you might be able to set some QoS rules to allow for more equitable sharing.
Yeah the building is suppose to be getting over 100Mbps I believe. I know my one roommate torrents all the time. A lot of people are streaming in the house so that really hogs up bandwidth.

I'm not familiar with QoS, I know of it, but have no idea how to implement it, but I'll look into it. I can ask the owner if he'd be cool with me tinkering with the router, but I'm not sure what he'll say. Also I was looking up IPSs last night, and they are so expensive. I usually like to get around 25Mbps and that's like $50-$60 a month...that's crazy. 10Mbps is more like $25-30 which is okay.