Blindsight, Unconsciousness, Google Glass and Virtual Reality

Move along, nothing to see here!
C40

Re: Blindsight, Unconsciousness, Google Glass and Virtual Reality

Post by C40 »

Ego wrote:I walked up and the guy was standing there waiting for someone to come up and try it. Remarkable considering it was Christmas eve. I used it for 10 minutes. It was free. I had to sign a waiver.

There are two sensors that see anything in the 16X16 box so (I believe) if someone else enters the box the sensors notice it and projects them.
Was it a game or just some video stuff? There's one in Scottsdale, so I think I'll go try it out when I go to Phoenix.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Snowball fight. After I made a scene by yelling at the characters and acting like an idiot, a whole group of people got in line and a few of them asked for other games. The attendant said the snowball fight was the only one they were allowed to demo until after Christmas.

C40

Post by C40 »

Ego wrote:Snowball fight. After I made a scene by yelling at the characters and acting like an idiot, a whole group of people got in line and a few of them asked for other games. The attendant said the snowball fight was the only one they were allowed to demo until after Christmas.
Maybe you should have another TV commercial in your near future, selling these things. "The first try is free, guys ;-)"

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hah. Mix in a dog, a football game and a beer in there somehow and you've got all my pet peeves covered.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Until they get some manikin to struggle while I give them a "face wash" they can keep it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Changing the way we experience art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBJPIgNXUDI

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/arts/ ... brush.html

One of the guys I ride with showed up today with one of these 360fly cameras on his handlebars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwlWz9YpI5Q

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I binged on half of CoD Advanced Warfare yesterday --it would take some serious willpower to cut it off if it was VR. Forget about games like The Elder Scrolls or the Fallout series. Horror games like Dead Space will be exhilirating if not terrifying\cause PTSD.

I agree: bread and circuses. As the world's environment continues to make human inhabitance more difficult, a large part of the population might not be there to care. Self-sustaining VR pods anyone?

----------

so much of living a "good" life this century is saying no to stuff (mortgages, tv, listicles, vr in excess)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Watched the film The Congress last night. It struck me that it was very similar to the Tilt Brush program I linked to in the video above. Tilt Brush allows artists to make virtual art that is inhabitable. The premise of The Congress is that movies become inhabitable. The watcher becomes part of the movie, blurring the distinctions between passive entertainment, video game and real life. Quite interesting.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

The novel Ready Player One covers this stuff in an interesting way. The book is a little too teen lit / hunger game-y for my tastes, but the world it builds is fascinating. Going back to 7Wannabe5's question about money, in this book you can earn money in the "virtual" world that can be spent in the "real" world and vice versa.

The high-level VR players are not only wearing a headset, but also wear a full body suit that provides tactile response and they move around via an omnidirectional treadmill. You can even buy a pizza in the "virtual" world and the transaction is instantly routed to a pizza place nearby which delivers it to you in the "real" world. Trippy.

This thread makes me feel like we're heading that direction.

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://blog.coalesce.nyc/bustin-ghosts ... .hodkd14vz

A few quotes from the article

We’ve entered a golden-age of escapism.

Not to blend genres, but here’s the gist: I took the red pill. I went down the rabbit hole. And not to oversell it, but I think The Void changed my life.
For starters, you’re not sitting in some VR recliner, watching a 180-degree video. You’re not confined in a clunky VR rig with wires trailing behind you. The Void is a completely untethered, phenomenal magic trick that will ambush your brain in a crafty act of kick-ass deception.
It’s transportive, cinematic, silly, and — for a few intense moments — very fucking real.

This is the future of digital immersion. Hell, it could be the future of entertainment as we know it. Maybe we’re closer to making Star Trek’s Holodeck than we think. If it’s anything like Ghostbusters: Dimension, beam me the hell up.

I found it by way of the article in the times this morning where they believe this will fill the void (hah!) of excess shopping mall space in the U.S..
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/busi ... ality.html

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

This is pretty fascinating stuff. I must admit, as a gamer and cyberpunk junkie, I've even been tempted to drop the 5-6 bills for a used HTC Vibe, but it was a brief temptation. Beyond being a bad financial decision, there just isn't much content natively designed for it yet. No "killer apps" at mass market level. I can imagine all kinds of future applications for VR, though. For instance, a potential solution to "the real Trump problem" of structural under-employment among industrial workers. What do you do when a human worker is replaced by cyber workers? Replace those jobs with cyber jobs! (plus basic income.) Of course it will end up just another luxury consumer item that will solidify a monopolistic hegemony for years to come for whichever corporation wins the upcoming hardware wars, but one can dream.

On that note, are Google and Facebook the best bets as far as claiming the title of our future VR overlords? Seems like Sony and Samsung are the other competitors, but I doubt they have the same clout.