Hi from Spain

Say hello!!
Dunkelheit

Re: Hi from Spain

Post by Dunkelheit »

MDFIRE2024 wrote:Hola Dunkelheit. Que tal? ;-)

welcome here in this forum. I also recently joined the forum.
If you can team up with your wife, I think the possibilities for ER are even greater.
If you want to know more about Germany, you could ask, because I liver there.
Hola MDFIRE2024, gracias por la bienvenida ;)

Where are you living? We lived in north Germany for several years, but we decided to take a sabbatical year and went back home to see again the sun and reguide our lives.

I also think that ERE for couples is very different than individual ERE, more challenging. If both persons have totally different views of their path, it more than often won't work well. Maybe the best option is to meet in the middle, but both need to agree. I remember Jacob's similarity talking about Wheaton scale, but related to ERE levels.

Cheers,
Dunkelheit

wolf

Post by wolf »

@Dunkelheit

I live in the south of Germany.

How would you rate the quality of life between Germany and Spain? I'm interested, because I think about living in Spain someday. Are there big differences in quality of life in Spain?

As an individual I don't really find it challenging. Well, I guess it is different. I am used to do things for myself, like motivation... It would be difficult for me if I had a girlfriend who doesn't support the FIRE goal at all.

Do you live in Spain right now or are you travelling around?

Cheers

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

MDFIRE2024 wrote:@Dunkelheit

I live in the south of Germany.

How would you rate the quality of life between Germany and Spain? I'm interested, because I think about living in Spain someday. Are there big differences in quality of life in Spain?

As an individual I don't really find it challenging. Well, I guess it is different. I am used to do things for myself, like motivation... It would be difficult for me if I had a girlfriend who doesn't support the FIRE goal at all.

Do you live in Spain right now or are you travelling around?

Cheers
Hi again MDFIRE2024 (nice name!),

Sorry for the delay. I am living right now in Spain. Defining the quality of life is quite subjective, but I will try it. If we talk about weather, food, nature or culture I find Spain superior to Germany, but if we talk about working, burocracy, social system, Germany would be my favourite. IMO, Spain is a great country to retire or to live-with-less, but wouldn't be my option to get the money you need to do it.

Besides, we should differ between the different spanish regions. It is funny, because most of the times I had a conversation with a german, he/she uses to know only some areas of Spain, the south, the islands or the mediterranean coast. These areas share the typical spanish stereotypes: a lot of sun, good food, many tourists...I use to think that most people use to look for what they miss in their countries, and it makes these areas the perfect antipode in contrast with Germany, and just 3 hours away.

North Spain is more similar to Germany. Better organized, better job opportunities, rainy and cold weather, nice landscapes, serious but trustworthy people...

If we look for a balance between the quality to enjoy life and the quality to earn life, I think that Spain is a great option if:
a) You give more importance to enjoying your days than to earning more money.
b) You already have the money you need to live, or you need little money to do it.
c) You can work from anywhere.

I hope that it can help you, although I don't know if my explanation was clarifying or more hesitant, maybe because I wake up each day with the same doubt ;)

Cheers,
Dunkelheit

frihet

Post by frihet »

Hi Dunkelheit,

Is your name from the Burzum song? Very dark melodic atmospheric music. Had a dark/ depressed period when I listened a lot to the Filosofem album.

At what Balearic Island are you planning to move to? I had a girlfriend on Ibiza for 2 years. I loved to spend time there on off season and visit deserted beaches. It's beautiful, the island has so much more than the clubbing which we never went to.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I would be surprised if Dunkelheit wasn't from burzum's awesome Filosofem album :)
Never been to Baleari, but from the many tales I've herd I'd probably want to move to formentera.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi there,

Another spaniard working towards ERE. Making our money in the US and planning in going back home (Basque Country) in 2 years.

Mucha suerte!

Frugalchicos

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

frihet wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:48 pm
Hi Dunkelheit,

Is your name from the Burzum song? Very dark melodic atmospheric music. Had a dark/ depressed period when I listened a lot to the Filosofem album.
Seppia wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm
I would be surprised if Dunkelheit wasn't from burzum's awesome Filosofem album :)
@frihet & Seppia: I'm very sorry to disappoint you, but it's the first time I've listened to the Burzum's song. Although I love metal I must admit it's too dark for me. The darkest thing I used to listen to was Children of Bodom, haha!

Dunkelheit was just my favourite german word when I began learning deutsch. Now it is Spannungsbogen (thanks to Dune).
frihet wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:48 pm
At what Balearic Island are you planning to move to? I had a girlfriend on Ibiza for 2 years. I loved to spend time there on off season and visit deserted beaches. It's beautiful, the island has so much more than the clubbing which we never went to.
Seppia wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm
Never been to Baleari, but from the many tales I've herd I'd probably want to move to formentera.
Ibiza: I was there once when I was a child so I can't comment too much about it. It's very famous for the party clubs and the italian invaders.

Mallorca: the german colony. I love it, except in Summer when there's an invasion of tourists. The airport is really big and it's very well connected to many european capitals. There are idyllic beaches, low mountains and good quality of life. I think it's a very good option for FIRE if you want to live in a large island with a pretty landscape and maybe going somewhere else during the tourist season. It's the island with more options and diversity of all four.

Formentera: this summer I was there for one day (you don't need more to go over the small island) and it was quite disappointing for me. The beaches were not better than the others islands' ones and it was full of tourists and sellers trying to get your money.

Menorca: it's my favourite balearic island. Not so urbanised as Mallorca (its area is highly protected) and less crowded (at least in September). I just love it, the nature, the beaches, everything. The only disadvantages may be that its airport has very few connections out of high season, and that due to its smaller size it can be a little bit boring after some time there. It would be a great option to live for 4-6 months a year.

Saluti,
Dunkelheit (not Burzum-related, sorry :P)

frihet

Post by frihet »

Ok no Burzum. I'm glad we cleared that out 👍🏻. Will countinue to think about the song when I hear your name anyway. Mind imprints last a long time 😊

Mallorca hmmm have only been to Magaluf a long time ago. But I guess just like on Ibiza there are nice places outside of party areas.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

No Burzum and no Formentera, I failed on all accounts :D

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

frihet wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Ok no Burzum. I'm glad we cleared that out 👍🏻. Will countinue to think about the song when I hear your name anyway. Mind imprints last a long time 😊

Mallorca hmmm have only been to Magaluf a long time ago. But I guess just like on Ibiza there are nice places outside of party areas.
I will also start listening to Burzum more frequently :twisted:

Magaluf is a touristic area, but it's difficult to escape from tourism in Mallorca. In the north there are more hidden areas, and the whole island is full of small beaches called "calas", which you can find with the help of someone (or google, nowadays).

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Seppia wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:58 pm
No Burzum and no Formentera, I failed on all accounts :D
I didn't want to upset you, but if you wish we can share some beers listening to Burzum at the beaches of Formentera :twisted: .

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Frugalchicos wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 pm
Hi there,

Another spaniard working towards ERE. Making our money in the US and planning in going back home (Basque Country) in 2 years.

Mucha suerte!

Frugalchicos
It's great to read how this forum is becoming more international.

Good luck in your path, I wish you come back soon and enjoy the marvelous Basque Country ;)

Gabonak!

Dunkelheit

FRx

Post by FRx »

This is great, I'm seeing a couple of Spaniards on here. I'm making my move to Spain soon and hoping to meet some ERE's over there as well. Thanks for writing this journal.