ERE Challenge: Could You Retire on $300k?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
James_0011

Re: ERE Challenge: Could You Retire on $300k?

Post by James_0011 »

Easily, just move to a cheaper country.

No idea why people here discount this method much.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

No I would not do it.

You may have a $300k net worth, but most of it as Jacob said is "not the good stuff"
One thing is having $300,000 in a brokerage account, invested in well diversified stocks, and another is having the same amount split 1/4 into a house you still owe money on, a big chunk in retirement accounts and just a little bit of readily available, post tax assets.
BRUTE wrote:
Zalo wrote:Geographic arbitrage is also excellent to make your US DOLLARS go farther. Take advantage of the US's hegemony over the rest of the world. $1 US dollar is worth quite a bit in nice places, such as Norway (as the recent millionaire post noted).
moving to Norway for geographical arbitrage? brute found Norway to be very expensive.
Norway is literally one of the most expensive countries in the world.
https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-e ... -2015.html

Here the full study of UBS prices and earnings, which I have been using since the mid 2000s when I started being an expat.

https://www.static-ubs.com/microsites/p ... 015-en.pdf

It's an amazing tool for geographical arbitrage.
Based on personal experience, they tend to overestimate the costs, which is predictable.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I don't consider my house that I own outright as part of my FIRE assets. If you move assuming you buy somewhere cheaper than your house can be part of your FIRE assets. If not then you shouldn't consider it.