Another Spaniard!

Say hello!!
Family father

Another Spaniard!

Post by Family father »

Hi!

I am a 40 yo spanish family father.. trying to retire early! (too late for the extreme part.. :D )

At 20 I wanted the world.. and I thought I could get it

At 30 I wasn't sure about the world (was it worthwile?) but surely I was brilliant and performing well..

And at 40.. I know I don't want the world: just to spend time with my beloved kids and DW.

I was introduced to the blog a few years ago by a friend, and been a frequent anonymous reader since.

I started tracking my expenses a year and a half ago and been taking small steps in the right direction.. but still find two challenges I have to face:

1- I have to educate myself in investing if I want to retire early: my risk aversion about money makes me stick to term deposits.. and they don't seem an option anymore (I find difficult to follow the investment forums.. maybe because I don't know enough about them to translate them to spain?)

2- I am just the half of a family.. with kids (I decided to introduce myself after reading rube's journal): I don't decide on my own (nor I want to) and we don't look after ourselves only (nor we would want to), so we still have to see how to integrate early retirement in our lives!!

And that's me.. no more, no less :)

The Old Man

Re: Another Spaniard!

Post by The Old Man »

Welcome. It is always useful to have a non-USA perspective on ERE.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hola! Great to have you on this forum.
Maybe if you point out the many advantages of early retirement your family understands.

Family father

Post by Family father »

Hi and thanks both!
Maybe if you point out the many advantages of early retirement your family understands.
Oh, DW surely does (I have shared my thoughts about ERE with her several times), but still ERE integration in a family with kids doesn't seem so easy to me... :oops:

Surely we will find our way! :D

Thank you anyway! ;)

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Hi family father, here another spaniard newbie. It's nice to find more of us around this place ;)

There's now specific age to retire extreme, just take the dose of extremism you wish. I like to read your changes of thought through each decade of your life, you're going more local each time, just changing what you are able to change. I'm between the first and the second stage, but without feeling brilliant :(

About investing, I recommend you the spanish community rankia.com, and especially the next thread where you can find a lot of information related to passive investing, easy to get started in investing:

http://www.rankia.com/foros/fondos-inve ... indexacion

Saludos!
Dunkelheit

Family father

Post by Family father »

Hi Dunkelheit!

Unfortunately, in my case, feeling brilliant just means shortsightedness.. :oops:

Muy interesante el link!!

;)

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Welcome to the forum!
Family father newbye wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am

And at 40.. I know I don't want the world: just to spend time with my beloved kids and DW.
If this is your goal, then you should make it your top priority and everything else secondary. You cannot work for x years, obtain full FI and then spend time with the kids as they will be grown some day and live their own lives.

If this is really what you want, then design a life where you spend a lot of time with your family right now and not at some distant point in the future.

Being Spanish speaking, you could easily geoarbitrage to some cheap place in Central America (like Nicaragua), even homeschoool, make projects as a family (orchard, little family run shop, chickens, dog breeding, house sitting) and enjoy experiencing your kids grow up. I am sure, there will be regions in Spain where this is possible too if you do not feel like crossing the Atlantic.

And if you run out of money later on then just work again when the kids have left home.

Or my counter question: Is ALL you want to spend time with your family or do you also have ideas or visions for yourself and how to spend your life? Why do you want to retire?

Family father

Post by Family father »

Thanks Eureka for your questions!

Surely spend time with my family is not ALL, and surely again I must think and envision my desired future!

It arises many thoughts: how kids and their well-being relates to my happyness? and how will it in the future?

I envision retirement as the freedom to do what I want without pressure... self imposed, but still.. maybe a kind of safety also? Is it really safety not to depend on an ever changing work market?

mmmm

many questions to answer!

Thanks again!