New Experiences Log

Move along, nothing to see here!
Ego

New Experiences Log

Post by Ego »

Tell us about something you did for the first time.

Was it worth the money? Worth the time? Worth the effort? What did you learn?

Ego

Re: New Experiences Log

Post by Ego »

Two things.....

I tried virtual reality.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4090#p134100

I've been cutting my own hair for years. For the past few months I've been alternating a self-inflicted haircut with a semi-pro haircut at the barber college down the street. I enjoy going to the college because the guys are interesting. Many are ex-military using their GI bill money to get their barber's ticket.

Yesterday I was on my way out the door to get a haircut when I ran into a tenant who is a nice guy... but I think of him as Mr. Scared-y-cat. He's afraid of everything. I mentioned that I was on my way to the barber college to get a haircut. He asked if I was afraid that they might make a mistake or..... worse.

So, to fuck with him I told him I was getting a shave as well. Poor guy went into convulsions.

When I got there they assigned me a more advanced student so I opted for the shave and a haircut. First time in my life. Meh. Waste of time. Wasn't all that close. Not recommended.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I imagine it was just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fc36Hc2n2s

Ok, so I have a vivid imagination . . . :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

It was a mixture of old-time charm (twirling hot towel wrapped around my face) and weird modern (he trimmed my 4-day beard with an electric razor before starting). There have been a few places sprouting up in the neighborhood that specialize in tattooed, hipster barbers with handlebar mustaches and suspenders providing an old fashioned shave, so I was curious what all the fuss was about. I just looked at one of the hipster places. They charge $50 for the shave and eyebrow/ear/nose hair trim. Then again, they had to pay $20K and put up with cheapskates like me for ten months to get their barbers license, so....

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

i get my hair cut by Korean immigrants. its a husband and wife and i dont think they went to barber school. But if you can point to the right picture they will cut your hair that way

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Not sure. Many of my recent experiences have been consistent with the previous 3 years, at least externally. I might go overnight winter camping in Jan soon; that'll be new!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Olaz wrote:Not sure. Many of my recent experiences have been consistent with the previous 3 years, at least externally. I might go overnight winter camping in Jan soon; that'll be new!
You sbould definitely do that. But make sure you can make a really big fire there and bring lots of clothes. And change your undergarments before bedding down or you will freeze in you own sweat all night.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@Olaz- Look into Vapor Barrier Liners. This will prevent the moisture from your skin getting trapped in your sleeping bag. A really simple solution is to take a large trash bag and use that as an interior liner. Then you'll avoid the problem Dragline mentioned above.

Also, don't be afraid to wear coats and heavier clothing in the sleeping bag. This will help push that rating further. I've slept in a 20 * rated down bag at -14 F, with lots of layers.

Winter camping doesn't have to suck. It just requires more awareness and a few more skills.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I'm planning to use a 10 degree F quilt, tarp, and coats to avoid moisture built-up and wind problems, ala RW. This reminds me that I need to order the raw materials to make the gear; maybe I'll make a log on camping progress too.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

theanimal wrote:Winter camping doesn't have to suck. It just requires more awareness and a few more skills.
Those skills should include having a male bladder. :lol: My numerous winter camping experiences mostly consisted of lying awake trying to tell myself that I really didn't need to get out of the sleeping bag to pee (again). I hated winter camping SO MUCH.

On the other hand: I did "enjoy" jumping into half-frozen lakes on the mornings after those bladder-obsessed nights. There's something about having the breath sucked out of you by frigid water...it moves the blood.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I very much like the concept of this thread, but what level of experiences should we count as truly new? For instance, does eating goat curry while visiting Canada in January count? I did that on Tuesday.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I installed a tile backsplash this week. I've done tile floor before, so not entirely new, but different enough that I think it qualifies. Fairly inexpensive, should last forever, and looks nice. Worth it to me.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I met a guy whose idea of new experiences was eating at new restaurants, then reviewing them on Yelp. It made him happy, so I suppose it counts.

I went snorkeling for the first time in November. First time swimming in the open ocean too. I'd do it again.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

450 mile solo hike on the Bruce trail.

It's hard to calculate the costs because I quit a decent government job. It was uninspiring so who knows how long I would have stayed.

It took 42 days. Yes. It showed that even when I had nothing to do I was able to give myself "drive".

Effort? Most of the time. I pushed too hard at the end and created a blur of exhaustion. Walking on a large cobble beach and miles od poison ivy detracts from the crystal clear waters.

I need to transition from partial ere to something I like doing instead of doing more of the same. The classic ere trap I fell into.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I went in the ditch for the first time in my life in December.

Was it worth it? Yes*. Would I do it again? No. What did I learn? Turn on the 4WD if the roads have ice on them. Or don't travel in winter.

*Losing control of a vehicle isn't that scary. It's over faster than you can blink. All the fear of going out of control is much worse than actually losing control.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

I dug a stranger out of a four foot snow drift on Xmas day. Dodge 1500 4x4.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

cmonkey wrote:IWas it worth it? Yes*. Would I do it again? No. What did I learn? Turn on the 4WD if the roads have ice on them. Or don't travel in winter.

*Losing control of a vehicle isn't that scary. It's over faster than you can blink. All the fear of going out of control is much worse than actually losing control.
I made it all the way to work today on ice without going in the ditch. Unfortunately it's not the first time, and is unlikely to be the last. You are so right about the fear of going out of control. But I still think going in the ditch sucks too or I would no longer fear it.

Don't travel in winter? I have to retire for that.