STI statistics and best practices?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Re: STI statistics and best practices?

Post by TopHatFox »

If it is true that a god exists, and that he is benevolent and all-loving, why would he be casting down pain in the form of lethal viruses, and why would he/she/they/it hate some of his own brothers and sisters? Also, define "good."

Anyway, if we could just return to the topic of STI statistics and the best personal or collective practices to preventing STIs...

Image :mrgreen:

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

On that note, isn't HPV curable if found early?
The man they are talking about has hepatitis b (hbv). It is not curable but is treatable to a point.

The HPV you mention is human papilloma virus (genital warts). It is treatable (remove the warts) but not curable. There may be no physical sign of infection or it may cause warts. The body may clear it on its own or may not. HPV is very common and most sexually active adults will get it at some point though they may not know it.

HPV still should be avoided as it can cause warts and cancers such as cervical cancer, penile cancer, and anal cancer. It causes about 20,000 cases of cancer per year. There are vaccines for HPV but a vaccine only works before infection.

ShriekingFeralHatred

Post by ShriekingFeralHatred »

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

C40 wrote: An attempt at lifelong monogamy just to avoid STIs is one of the worst possible bets in life you could make. A single sexual experience is never worth getting an STI, but the potential/likely downside of forced monogamy (depression, being with a partner you don't love, not experiencing many of the wonders of sex) is way worse than getting a handful of STIs.
Unless you are asexual.

I wouldn't consider myself completely asexual, but sex does not interest me much. Masturbation every now and then is sufficient to satisfy my desires. Perhaps this will change when I meet the right girl.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I think Planned Parenthood has a nice page on this, called "safer sex". It's no longer called "safe sex", because there are no guarantees in life (sorry Olaz), but safer is possible and can of course prevent a lot of hurt.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn ... /safer-sex

Gilberto de Piento

The problem with promoting abstinence only until marriage is that it just doesn't work. Here's one study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194801/ showing the results.

What's worse is that when people who intend to go abstinence only give in they often are not prepared with protection because they didn't think they would be having sex.

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gilberto de Piento

I disagree. Oftentimes moralists such as yourself have set policies that require that students are taught only abstinence with no further information. Instead of making an informed decision based on knowledge of sex, pregnancy, and stis, they only know that it is "morally wrong" to do what their bodies are strongly suggesting. Then when they do end up having sex it is unprotected and the consequences are much worse than if they had used protection. So they get consequences they don't really deserve because of someone else's arbitrary morality.

We're probably not going to see eye to eye on this one. You have deleted almost all of your other posts on this site. Are you just trolling now?

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Gilberto de Piento wrote: The man they are talking about has hepatitis b (hbv). It is not curable but is treatable to a point.
Remember, vaccinations exist for Hepatitis A and B.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
On that note, isn't HPV curable if found early?
The man they are talking about has hepatitis b (hbv). It is not curable but is treatable to a point.
Yes, thank you for clarifying that. He had Hepatitis B. Not curable. He carried. And yes, I knew after he infected my friend. They both got tested after she was hospitalized. Then a few years later he infected another friend.

Knowingly yes. I was under the impression Hep B was very contagious and that he could have spread it even if he wore condoms. Maybe I'm misinformed.

HIV is the judgment of God? What an uncool thing to say. I'm reading The Chimp and the River right now. It sounds more like a mutated simian retrovirus that jumped over to some unlucky humans.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Get a full test before having sex. Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, hsv, hiv, hepatitis. It'll take a week for results to come in, except hiv results are usually immediate. PP has free testing for no income patients on most of these. Full disclosure of complete sexual history with every partner, only have sex with people that are trustworthy.

Also, use lube for anal (bacterial infections can occur if too much friction) and dont hold it in when you or they have to pee (uti). Dont do atm or atv without washing first.

If having group play, same testing procedure and honesty required. Polyamory is a bit harder since multiple people have multiple partners so test quarterly at least and keep an open dialogue about recent events.

Condoms are cool but they can break and I know people who've gotten sick from that. Testing and honesty are more reliable and fun. I never liked condoms but whenever I practiced poly, I'd typically only bareback with one person.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Felipe wrote:Get a full test before having sex. Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, hsv, hiv, hepatitis. It'll take a week for results to come in, except hiv results are usually immediate. PP has free testing for no income patients on most of these. Full disclosure of complete sexual history with every partner, only have sex with people that are trustworthy.

Also, use lube for anal (bacterial infections can occur if too much friction) and dont hold it in when you or they have to pee (uti). Dont do atm or atv without washing first.

If having group play, same testing procedure and honesty required. Polyamory is a bit harder since multiple people have multiple partners so test quarterly at least and keep an open dialogue about recent events.

Condoms are cool but they can break and I know people who've gotten sick from that. Testing and honesty are more reliable and fun. I never liked condoms but whenever I practiced poly, I'd typically only bareback with one person.
Oo, the person I want to talk to!

A few questions:

1. What's the best way to ask a person for a complete sti test before sex? Do you include oral in the don't-do-before-testing category? What about kissing or hand-play?

2. I need to make an excel sheet of sexual history. How do you share that in a socially acceptable manner with people if they've probably never even thought about their history.

3. Agreed, my PP and I disclose all partners and use protection even with each other. I should up vaccinations and testing, though. Why doesn't mainstream sex culture practice neither honesty nor testing nor protection? >~<

4. When you say don't hold it in, do you mean that stopping sexual activity to pee and cleaning is better than holding, continuing, and then going to the restroom?

5. This is probably a feeling more than anything else, but how do you determine whether a person is "trustworthy to be sexual with" or not?

6. Although many connections are of the cosistent and slower-to-progress intimate close friend norm set, some connections progress very quickly sexually, in the spur of the moment, so to speak. What are best practices with the latter situations - just don't do them, or?

C40

Post by C40 »

Zalo, read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Ethical-Slut-Pra ... 1587613379

I didn't read the whole thing, so I'm not certain, but I think it covers the kind of details you're asking about. If not, it probably has recommendations of other books that do.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Yeah, I got that one. I had to give it back to the library since it was overdue and classes usually prevent me from reading as much as I'd like; I'll get it back and finish it in the coming week. Thanks C40 (:

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah

C40

Post by C40 »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote: ..... It is in actual fact the law of God not to do these things, and that law is benevolently given for our own good.
You're wasting your time and effort with the God angle and the gross exaggeration.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

C40 wrote:You're wasting your time and effort with the God angle and the gross exaggeration.
I think we're all wasting our time and effort feeding this attention-seeking behavior. In case anyone needs a definition of internet troll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:Venereal disease is God's judgement on people who have sex outside of marriage. It literally only happens to fornicators and those who sleep with fornicators. Save it for marriage and the whole plague will pass you by.
And lesbians are God's chosen people.

I got that from Whoopie Goldberg.

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Huh...looks like that page was suddenly deleted, along with your three similarly hateful posts on the same site. Given your hit and run tactics, I copied it to a pdf before posting the link. I'm pasting the text here it for a few days so the good people of this community can see it, after which I'll delete it** because it makes me sick. (Jacob/moderators: I'll fully understand if you delete this whole thing.)

**As promised, I have deleted the text as of 12/28/16.

Here's my comment:

It's criminal for you to be a doctor.
Last edited by halfmoon on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.