Tattoos, Piercings?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Tattoos, Piercings?

Post by jacob »

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

ether wrote:I would advise against obvious piercing or tats especially if you want to be a financial salesman.
In sales, image is literally EVERYTHING.
Your clients are going to skew older and more conservative and might not trust you with their money.

If you get them, make them discrete and more intimate, not obvious.
Oddly I was at a Schwab shareholder meeting and some senior VP was sleeved. It made some of us old folk very uneasy. I'll try to look him up.

Edit- ahhh. This guy. http://www.douglascmerrill.com/about

High powered individual. Still didn't stop the prejudice against his form of self expression. Looks like he's on to better things after Schwab.
Last edited by Sclass on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Sclass - Was he a real VP or just a salesman? In fhigh inance one is only allowed to sell to clients (make deals) if one is an executive. Wall Street literally has thousands for vice presidents for that reason.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

jacob wrote:@Sclass - Was he a real VP or just a salesman? In fhigh inance one is only allowed to sell to clients (make deals) if one is an executive. Wall Street literally has thousands for vice presidents for that reason.
Real exec. http://www.douglascmerrill.com/about

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Then there was this guy. Sales. These guys are all called "sales VP".

Genuine Schwab employee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urder.html

Nice tattoos.

http://www.cbs5az.com/story/14804440/ma ... -eischeid-

CS

Post by CS »

Not a fan of either.

vezkor

Post by vezkor »

This is a fascinating thread. Thanks for posting the OP, Olaz.

I have three rather large tattoos. In regular business-casual dress: you'd never see them. In regular business activities: you'd never know I had them because I wouldn't ever allude to being tattooed. There is a definite social stigma (especially among older folk who have the ability to help or hinder your career) and I have always acknowledged this fact.

From the age of 16-17 I decided I wanted exactly 3 tattoos, and I knew exactly what I wanted them to be and where I wanted them located (one on each shoulder/deltoid muscle and one in the middle of my back between the shoulderblades/trapezius. I got the shoulder tattoos at age 18 when it became legal, 6 months apart. My artist moved out of state shortly after, though, so I didn't get my backpiece done until he returned for a visit almost 4 years later.

Now at age 26, I can say that I still love my tattoos. I have no regrets or disappointments about my decision made almost 10 years ago. They are meaningful artwork that I will regularly spend a few moments looking at in the mirror and smiling while remembering the kind of person who got those tattoos. I have changed SIGNIFICANTLY since then. I collaborated with my artist (Ryan Szadyr if you want to look him up) on the designs. We sent prints and sketches back and forth until we came to an agreement, so the direction came from me but the style is all his. I absolutely love them.

Would I get them again if I didn't have them? No. ONLY because I'm too frugal to justify the expense of a high-quality large tattoo. The artwork was worth it at the time, given my frame of mind... but I am no longer in the market for artwork.

I love the perspective of the crowd given that ERE is one of the most open-minded communities I've come across. It is clear that many members of the forum were never a part of the tattoo culture of the early 2000's. It's definitely a fad, in my opinion. Many tattoo shops within 25 miles of my home town have gone out of business recently and it seems like the 18-24 year old demographic gets less tattoos overall than they did in 2005-2010. This might just be anecdotal, though. One last thought: Most of my friends were self-destructive idiots back in 2005-2010. The subculture that regularly gets lots of tattoos and piercings (especially on the face, neck, hands etc.) are almost invariably complete fools. 95% of the tattoos that got put on somebodies skin were asinine and will absolutely be regretted. Meaningful tattoos are rare, and I like to consider myself an exception to the norm in this regard. In general, tattooed people have earned the stigmas and stereotypes.

MZMpac

Post by MZMpac »

I have one, on my upper arm, that's now 17 years old. My wife has several not visible with clothing.

In general, though, I'm not a fan, for reasons others have listed. Tattoos used to be sort of a counter-culture thing, and if well-done could be really eye-catching. But nowadays they are as common as blue jeans. Almost every millennial I see has visible tattoos or colorful arm sleeves, usually containing the same grab bag of artistic "expressions". They have lost their appeal, and no one really cares.

Plus, IMHO, I think excessive or poorly placed tattoos on women look absolutely awful. Trashy and unfeminine. Some guys are into it, I suppose. Not me.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

One of my distant cousins also got a tattoo of Om
ॐ last week in black and red. A Roman Catholic school friend also got Aum ॐ on his hand between the thumb and index finger from a stall during a Catholic festival.

Seems like we are seeing a trend developing here...

The most common tattoos I've seen are: stars, butterfly, scorpion.

Religious symbols like Aum ॐ or swastik seems the least risky bet for having tattoos. The symbols do not lose their meaning, people do not change their religions, especially those committed to get a tattoos of it.

ShriekingFeralHatred

Post by ShriekingFeralHatred »

blah

DonaldButler

Post by DonaldButler »

Even I am not that fond of tatoos! But its a personal choice, if you like it then get it!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:blah
Your unedited reply stated that your (past) religion didn't allow tattoos?

Jeez people nowadays hop in and out of religions like relationships.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Yeah, it's in the Old Testament. It startled me since I've read that many times but hadn't noticed that particular little rule until recently. I think it's in the same section that forbids wearing cloth made from two different materials, like wool and cotton blended together.

C40

Post by C40 »

enigmaT120 wrote:Yeah, it's in the Old Testament. It startled me since I've read that many times but hadn't noticed that particular little rule until recently. I think it's in the same section that forbids wearing cloth made from two different materials, like wool and cotton blended together.
Fucking hell, man. Of all the things I'm supposedly going to hell for, I never imagined that wearing socks containing wool and polyester would be on the list.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

But Merino wool with polyester feels good....

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Appears maybe the trend is reversing a little?
http://www.northjersey.com/story/entert ... /95058206/

And it's not just ear piercing. Many are seeking to reverse the impulsive, perhaps keg-fueled decisions of their not-quite-lost youths. That tongue piercing, that bone through the nose, that conspicuously placed tattoo you got in college may not go over so big now in a job interview, or in the board room. It's time to conform to the real world.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Apparently I'm not that crazy for thinking of having the verse explaining Karma Phala Siddhant (Relationship between action and it's fruits/consequences) tattooed.
fiby41 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 am
Seems like we are seeing a trend developing here...
Another professor has this entire verse of the Maha Mrutyunjay Mantra (Mantra of Victory over death) from the RugVed 7.59.12 on his arm

ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे
सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्|
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनां
मृत्योर्मुक्षीय माऽमृतात्।|

Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
Mrutyor Mukshiya Maamritat

Om, we worship the Three-Eyed One (Lord Shiva)
Who with his fragrant essence nourishes life.
May He severe our bondage to Samsara (worldly life),
like a ripe cucumber (severed from the bondage of its creeper) by the gardener
Thus liberate us from the fear of death, (by making us) realize (that we are) never separated from our immortal nature.

Also a person who has survived and escaped from a near/almost certain death experience is called Mrutyunjay.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Tattoos should only be gotten while extremely wasted. Trust me, I did it and ended up with a Canadian maple leaf on my back (tequila didn't make me any more imaginative). I now don't see how getting a tattoo or piercing while really, really drunk could go badly. Minus the blood, you always gotta minus the blood.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

fiby41 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 am
Another professor has this entire verse of the Maha Mrutyunjay Mantra (Mantra of Victory over death) from the RugVed 7.59.12 on his arm.
Came across a better & more realistic translation today:

The Marut are also the presiding deity for hymn in which the very popular Mrtyunjaya mantra occurs.

Rig-Veda Mandala 7, Sukta 59, Rishi: Vasishta Maitra-Varuni, Devta: Marutagana:

तर्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम |
उर्वारुकमिवबन्धनान मर्त्योर्मुक्षीय माम्र्तात |

Tryambaka we worship, sweet augmenter of prosperity.
As from its stem the cucumber, so may I be released from death, not reft of immortality.

Here, Tryambaka is often always mistranslated as "three-eyed" by most people, "ambaka" does not mean eye by any means. According Shatapatha Brahmana the word derives its root from Stri and Ambika, addressed to the sister of Rudra Ambika. According to other scholars the word Tryambaka - literally "of three ambas/mothers" denotes the three elder sisters of Rudra from the Yajur-Veda i.e. Amba, Ambika and Ambalika; the word Tryambaka could be taken as Rudra's name as he's the brother of the three elder sisters(the three ambas/mothers).

chenda

Post by chenda »

I think jewellery can be an alternative to tattoos. I've worn my avatar as a necklace for years. Friends and family know it as my symbol and it occasionally gets embossed on birthday presents I've received. If you want to get self-expressive you don't have resort to ink, lots of etsy craftsman will make something up for you.