YoungAndWise's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jennypenny

Re: YoungAndWise's Journal

Post by jennypenny »

Good luck with your application. Is that the same university you studied at before?

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

No! It is another in another country, in the same region if that helps.

TheWanderingScholar

Well Shit
Seems like I am doubling down on my Estonia Exit Plan. Hopefully if Trumps anti-NATO triad goes sour that Estonia can pass by it considering it spends at least 2% of its budget on defense.

At the very minimum I am looking at NGOs to see if I can find one that is still looking for interns for the Spring. Can't really believe this is happening. Not going to lie, kind of lost my faith in my country.

And right now, ERE is kind of the last thing on my mind.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Estonia had its own political change of course today, although perhaps not quite as unpredictable and with somewhat less of a worldwide impact:) The would-be new government has already rushed to confirm the 2+%* principle will remain a priority though.

* that is 2% of the GDP, not of the budget, the difference is about 150%

TheWanderingScholar

Well that is comforting.

TheWanderingScholar

Sometimes life just throw you a bone and says, "Come on, you know you want it!"

Update-Geoinformatics? Yeah, Geoinformatics.
Sometimes I just really need to stop worrying about the future and let things buff out. Example of this being the University I am applying to.
Recently, they just announced and posted information about their Geoinformatic's program. Which I pretty much surpass the minimal requirements for, easily.

And the focus of the program is something I am interested in. And the yearly fee for the program is super low; and that is not considering that free tuition scholarship which I am confident I will get. Honestly, I am kind of kicking myself in the ass as I spent a lot of time worrying about the other program when one arrives that I naturally fit in more and could be of more use to.

But yeah, I can breathe a little easier now a couple weeks after election night. Sucks that I will have to put my Foreign Service Officer plans on hold for the next four years, but I was not planning on starting anytime soon to applying for it.

Next update: I am not going to be FEMA Corps. Pays like shit, does little for me in the long run, and honestly I can work at the local chain store for $11 an hour, and considering it is not Walmart, for much less stress. Working full-time I get to pay my one bedroom apartment, have time off during the weekends and after five, internet and get to see my family more often (as I am going to not seeing them as much once I leave for graduate school). That is not considering I get to save money and start working on my student loans (or save up to supplement the National Scholarship).

So honestly, it will be a good test run of being an adult with responsibilities and allow me to pick up skills that I want to round out my resume (advanced Excel, Python and HTML, and going over macro and microeconomics), and fix my health and mature a little bit.

TheWanderingScholar

As another door closes, another opens

I have finished college. I have the paper to prove it as well!

And because of that, another chapter of my life is done. And right now I am preparing for the next step; graduate school in Estonia. Funny story; nearly applied to an internship at Tallinn because I fit the description for whom they are looking for. :lol: However I decided against it as it would interfer with my school.

And about school. Nearly done with the application, which has been simply enough. Have just been needing to add a passport picture for it. And it is weird, you know. I am fairly confident of my ability of getting in and getting a scholarship. It is just...five years ago things I was heading towards a different path towards FI. Now?

Now it is different path. Probably a longer path to ERE, but you know the entire deal about the journey and destination, yada, yada. It might take longer but at least I know it will a fun journey as well.

During that time, I am working on my Estonian (slowly), picking up basics of Python and figuring out projects to do to improve my skill with it. I have an interview/pre-screening tomorrow for a seasonal job in Utah. So that will provide income and housing for next six months or so.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Congratulations!

I can't believe you and zalo are finishing college and all grown up. *sniff* ;)

TheWanderingScholar

Thanks Jenny!

TheWanderingScholar

Update-Major

I may or may not be working for Apple.
Will find out Friday or end of this week.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

wow -- fingers crossed

TheWanderingScholar

Yep, it is official.

Going to work for Apple.

Woooot!

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Congratulations! That sounds like a big catch. What will you do for them?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Nice job! :D

TheWanderingScholar

RealPerson wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 pm
Congratulations! That sounds like a big catch. What will you do for them?
@RealPerson:
Don't know if I can really be specific about my work but a lot of data entry and entry level work for GIS sector. Still pay is good and is experience with a major IT company.

TheWanderingScholar

Olaz wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 am
Nice job! :D

Same to you, mate!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Congratulations!!

Will you have to relocate?