Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Post by Ego »

Whoops. Yes it is the same video. She just sent it out in her newsletter so I assumed it was new.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We listened to a bunch of her podcasts while we were driving around SD and WY. At one point, my son said "shouldn't we know this stuff already?" We talked about how much research money and brain power has been funneled into other disciplines that, although interesting, don't directly impact us like health-related research.

update on my IF test ... I developed an infection and had to go on antibiotics that require me to eat with every pill, so I'm off the IF for now. As soon as I'm done with the antibiotics (3 weeks and counting so far :( ), I'll go back to it. It's too bad because they also stopped the other treatment so I won't be able to track any changes to my blood work.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Very sorry to hear that. Hope you recover quickly.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Rhonda Patrick interview with Valter Longo about the Fast-Mimicking Diet ... https://youtu.be/d6PyyatqJSE

He has a book coming out.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Augustus wrote:I basically copy their standard issue advice, fast the first Sunday of each month. I cheat a little by having one green smoothie in the morning, but I eat nothing else until the next morning, so it's a 24 hr fast. It does have a noticeable effect on my wellbeing.
the Warrior Diet is similar. it basically means eating only during a small window each day, typically a 4 hour window. e.g. eating only from 6-10pm every day. for simplicity and because of laziness, brute often just eats a single meal per day, thus effectively fasting 23.5h per day. brute thinks several humans on the forum practice this as well.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Recent podcast featuring an intermittent fasting guru:

https://blog.bulletproof.com/brad-pilon-348/

What I found most interesting about it is that he has gotten away from "one-size-fits-all" thinking and advocates tailoring your practices to go with your body-fat and activity levels.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Longo said something similar in Patrick's podcast. Longo advocated two meals a day with 12 hours in between. Patrick was pushing for a longer fasting window based on the evidence. He acknowledged the benefits, but also said something like 'you can't take away people's happiness' meaning compliance is as important as the regimen.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

both good points. brute used to always do 23/1 when he didn't work out. now that he's a bit leaner and works out almost every day, he eats more often, just because it can be hard to eat 2 full meals in 1, and working out, he seems to eat more.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm (finally!) off the antibiotics. I'm going to re-start the strict IF. I'll be getting regular blood tests so I'll be able to monitor how it affects things.

Of course, since I'm starting tomorrow I'm binging tonight lol. So stupid since I know it will make me feel worse as I adjust. If my posts are extra nasty over the next few days, you'll know why. :P

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

jennypenny wrote:

RP's take is that the clock starts as soon as you have a non-water item, so morning coffee starts the clock even if it's black. :(
Thanks for the links to Rhonda Patrick. I just listened to a couple of her podcasts and she keeps on stressing that anything but water counts as non-fasting. However, I didn't encounter any explanation nor evidence for that. She just repeats it again and again as if it is a given fact. As she is very thorough explaining and documenting basically everything else, I miss this explanation / documentation even more. Did anyone encounter it or could it just be hear-say?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

fyi. one of the most recent Tim Ferriss podcasts features the med/scientists that discovered and/or worked with Rapamycin and m-Tor. They discuss autophagy, too. Unfortunately, its kind of rambling 3-hour mess, but there are a few interesting things in there.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Eureka wrote:she keeps on stressing that anything but water counts as non-fasting. However, I didn't encounter any explanation nor evidence for that.
the reason seems to be that there isn't really one "fasting" switch in the body. some mechanisms are turned off by any insulin (carbs, protein), some by certain levels of insulin (too many simple carbs, too much protein without fat), some by anything, some by taste..

for fat loss it seems that it's mostly insulin, so carbs and protein would "break the fast" whereas fat is fine (in coffee for example). for other health things, maybe even fat is breaking the fast. some of these are binary (i.e. having one tiny bit to eat will turn off the effect completely), some are pretty linear.

for example it seems that ketosis has a threshold that's a bit different in every human, but only a tiny bit above that threshold will almost completely stop ketosis. so even eating lots of protein for dinner might kick someone out of ketosis for a few hours. that doesn't matter for fat loss, but for epileptics/alzheimers or other more clinical conditions, it might pose a huge problem.

@Dragline: wast that Dom D'Agostino? all his interviews are great, brute is a big fan.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I believe it's the recent Ferriss podcast with the three doctors/researchers.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2016/10/20/ ... er-island/

I'm about halfway through it right now. The Rapamycin discussion is interesting. I liked the rambling messiness of it.

@Brute
I like D'Agostino too.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Thanks @Brute. I didn't even know coffee contains fat, but I checked and indeed there is a tiny bit.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

for clarification, brute puts cream and coconut/MCT oil in his coffee. the fat in coffee itself is probably way too small an amount to make any difference.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Oh, ok. I looked it up and a cup of black coffee contains 0,05 g fat.

Not impressive, but your reply made me think further and since human beings (and all animals) basically only have been drinking water for hundreds of millions of years, it is no wonder than any other substance might promote or inhibit some kind of metabolic reaction somewhere in the body even if it is ingested in tiny amounts. And besides caffeine, coffee contains hundreds of other secondary metabolites so of course the effect on the fasting body must be different from drinking pure H2O. Pretty exciting stuff.

UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

@BRUTE I'm curious about how you make WD work along with a low-carb diet. From what I understand the WD is mostly about having one big meal a day, and fasting through the interim? I guess I'm having a hard time imagining how I would regularly eat enough calories in one sitting to make that work.

For example yesterday for dinner I had half a roast chicken, a big salad topped with bacon and balsamic dressing, and a baked yam. That's a huge meal and I was stuffed afterwards, but it only totals ~1200 calories and my BMR alone is over 2k.

Does the fat in your coffee make up a significant portion of your daily total, or how are you getting the caloric density of your evening meal up to the point this works? Should I be eating a jar of almond butter with a spoon for desert or something?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

@UrbanHermit:

fasting and keto go super well together. fasting is basically putting the body in ketosis (=fat burning mode). with a carby IF/WD, the body leaves ketosis once a day and then gets back in over night. with a keto diet, it just stays there.

eating enough isn't really a problem. fat is very energy dense.

the fat in the coffee probably adds up to 200-500kcal per day, depending. sometimes brute just adds cream, sometimes he adds a tsp of MCT oil.

for reference, the "huge meal" UrbanHermit has listed isn't actually a lot of energy. chicken is very lean, and salads are worthless in terms of energy, especially with balsamic dressing. so it's basically 1/2 chicken (very lean), some bacon (1 strip? 2?) and a yam.

it's very easy to get lots of energy with fat. cream can be added to almost anything, as can oil. instead of lean chicken, UrbanHermit could eat fattier meats like pork or ribeye steak. cooking with lots of butter and lard/tallow. using lots of olive oil in the salad. personally, brute doesn't like salads much. lots of effort, nothing in there.

brute likes to eat whipped cream with some cocoa powder or dark chocolate (melted) for dessert. cream only has 1/3 fat by weight (rest mostly water), but tastes great, and is quick and easy to make.

the easiest way though is to eat fatty cuts of meat and drench any sides like vegetables in buttery/creamy sauce.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

TedX talk with Longo about the benefits of the Fasting Mimicking Diet