Front Door Security

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
BRUTE

Re: Front Door Security

Post by BRUTE »

what if the chance of being murdered changes from 0.01% to 0.02%? how much is that worth?

clearly, brute has made the choice to move to a more dangerous place in order to save money. not everybody in bad neighborhoods dies. even in the worst neighborhoods, only a tiny percentage of humans die.

would brute move into a neighborhood where the chance of being killed is 100%, if he got 100k for it? clearly not.
would brute move into a neighborhood where the chance of being killed is 0.01%, if he got 100k for it? yes.

edit: brute's point is that probably that it's meaningless to put a price on "death". it's like saying how much would brute pay for water. well, is brute thirsty? how much water? is brute in a desert? clearly he's not going to pay a lot while swimming in fresh water. he's going to pay more in an airport, and he'll pay with everything if thirsty in the desert. same with death.

while humans pay to reduce chance of death all the time, often times they do the opposite. brute has paid thousands of dollars for a very nice, 185hp sports motorcycle. there aren't many activities that are more risky than riding these things.

other times, humans DO move to worse areas to save on rent. they decide to spend money on something else instead of an alarm system or reinforced doors. they buy an unsafer card to safe money or have more fun instead.

there's likely a sort of perceived risk barometer in the human mind. if the perceived risk is above tolerance, humans will spend money to decrease it. if it's below tolerance, humans might spend money elsewhere until tolerance is met.

bryan

Post by bryan »

seems this renewed discussion may fit better at: http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com ... 1&p=100469

To touch on @llorona's case, I know she is in the Bay Area but I'm not sure exactly where. The housing market there is a _little_ crazy and moving is easier said than done. If I were forced to buy a house there (last year or four) I would absolutely be buying in areas that (the rate of equity appreciation) would benefit from some increased gentrification e.g. buying in an area that is "dangerous" (or maybe actually dangerous) and wait for "progress".

As for front door security, an additional steel screen door (security door) is probably a good addition.

llorona

Post by llorona »

Hey Augustus. Thanks for your concern, and appreciate your perspective. Moving was something we considered after last year's incident, but we decided to stay. This is our house, and we like it here.

As Brute pointed out, the chances of dying in a home invasion are statistically pretty small. I'm guessing there's a greater chance of being shot in gang crossfire while driving on the freeway -- and that risk extends to anyone who drives through the general region, even if they live in an affluent community.

Also, as Bryan noted, out here it's not just a matter of picking up and moving. The local housing market is crazier than San Francisco -- think multiple bids, houses selling for 20%+ over asking, etc. It's highly unlikely that we will move until ER, when we plan on relocating out of the Bay Area.