C40's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
C40

Re: C40's Journal

Post by C40 »

Thanks everyone!

bryan wrote:
$50 for health insurance? wow! That's great.. so does it mean it's a silver plan, subsidized? Do you qualify for (want) medicaid?
$50 per month is about as low as it gets, with the subsidy optimized (which I very vaguely remember as being around $12-$16k income per year). I need to (re)check to confirm that my IRA to Roth IRA conversions count as income for that. I may need to pay more to have a plan where I'm actually covered in states besides South Dakota. Also, for your planning, don't expect this to last forever. I think that without the subsidies, cheap plans are over $200/month.

cmonkey wrote:I also love the photos. If you ever want to make some passive income, look into selling those photos!

I see your 'pension' value dropped off this month...what happened with that? I only ask because I also have a modest pension and I'm wondering what I'll do with it when the time comes.
Yeah I need to look into selling the photos more. I think some of the methods of selling photos are very saturated and it might be difficult to do so. I imagine that getting some traction may require a lot of social media exposure and maybe some aggressive marketing (things I'm not sure I want to learn about). I've considered doing a few different types of portraits, and while those can't scale up well, they would be pretty quick and easy money.

And yeah, the values on the chart drop to zero for the future months. After I quit, I can take the current cash value of my pension and move it into an IRA. (The annuity rates are a horrible deal for me)

vraxxos wrote:By the way - gorgeous photos - what are you using to take them?
Thanks. Some of them were taken with a 10 year old DSLR (Nikon D90), some with a Panasonic point and shoot, and some with an iPhone. In most cases, fixing it up in photoshop is key to make up for some of the ways an image sensor is inferior to an eyeball, and in some cases to make it look better than real life.

bryan

Post by bryan »

C40 wrote: I may need to pay more to have a plan where I'm actually covered in states besides South Dakota. Also, for your planning, don't expect this to last forever. I think that without the subsidies, cheap plans are over $200/month.

Yeah I need to look into selling the photos more. I think some of the methods of selling photos are very saturated and it might be difficult to do so. I imagine that getting some traction may require a lot of social media exposure and maybe some aggressive marketing (things I'm not sure I want to learn about).

Let us know how the health insurance evolves. I am aware of the decent silver plan prices for a healthy young person and it ain't cheap.

For photos, have you heard of https://www.eyeem.com/ ? Seems good. It should rely less on establishing yourself before being able to sell anything.. though it is companies doing most of the buying so your successful subjects may be a bit more restricted..

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

I am soooo happy for ya, c40!!! Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about the journey both physical and psychological of your first 6 months - a year out of work. I anticipate lots of ups and downs, but what do I know? :)

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Congrats C40!! Looking forward to your adventures..

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

wow, that's crazy!

brute is very impressed. by the pictures, the van building, the absurdly gorgeous landscape, and by C40's moment of clarity that caused him to quit. it was very interesting to see and discuss the options at the end of somebody's working life.

godspeed.

C40

Post by C40 »

Thanks everyone! :-D :-D

Well it's the eve of my last day of work. I'll only do a bit of work in the morning at the office before traveling back to Denver.

... and I feel... completely normal. Not particularly excited. Not nervous. It just feels like another day. And I'm cool with that.

I do feel very content and tranquil, and I'm looking forward to the coming weeks and months. It feels nice.

Oh, and I had a funny exchange with a guy at work over the last few months. There's a guy that works in my part of the company but we've never really done any work together. He seems like one of the cooler guys around for some reasons that aren't related to this story. A few months ago he saw me at the office one day. I hadn't shaved for a couple weeks (though I do shave my neck) and I had on one of those red and black flannel shirts. He looks at me and says "hey, man. Are you going off the grid or something???!!". And since then when he saw me every few weeks he would joke about it... adding in things like "I haven't seen you for weeks. Were you off the grid again? Are you some kind of Jason Bourne, working for the CIA?..." and he'd say to someone else "I swear man, he's going off the grid! Look at that shirt!" (all of these in a joking manner). One day I promised him that if/when I do go off the grid, I'd let him know.

Well, this week I went into his office and told him I'm going off the grid. Told him about the van and the travel and outdoors plans. He had been spectacularly accurate with his joking perception. We both got a kick out of it.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

So ... are you a free man yet??!

flip711

Post by flip711 »

Wow. Your journal is an inspiration. Seriously enjoy your time on the road.

(We haven't ever chatted but,) If you're ever looking to get introduced to climbing, I'd love to run up some easy and introductory climbs with you in Yosemite or Tahoe.

Cheers!

C40

Post by C40 »

Yep I am a free man. I do have a few little things I need to do for work (send pictures of last travel receipts and mail back my amex and office keys)

I'm making preparations to head out from Denver going north. I'm planning to drive through the south and western parts of Wyoming and then further northwest on my way out to Portland.

@flip711 - I've never gotten into climbing other than gym wall stuff at a fancy high school I went to for a year. I'll try to remember to take you up on that. I bet it would be fun.

@Augustus - yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how I change over time

_JT

Post by _JT »

I registered after reading this whole thread to tell you two things:

1) That's fricking awesome, man. Great job! It was a blast to see you go so quickly from unhappy wage slave to FI vandweller. I'm a 36 year old recently FI'ed person myself, and I've read a lot about vandwelling. Personally I went with building a tiny house on some land I own instead.

2) You don't mention what type of battery you used for your solar system, but it appears to be a flooded lead acid battery, which means it's critical that IT BE VENTED TO OUTSIDE OF THE LIVING SPACE. Lead acid batteries off-gas hydrogen, which is highly flammable/explosive. If that is in fact the type of battery you have you're gonna want to seal and vent your battery box ASAP.

C40

Post by C40 »

_JT wrote:I registered after reading this whole thread to tell you two things:

1) That's fricking awesome, man. Great job! It was a blast to see you go so quickly from unhappy wage slave to FI vandweller.

2) You don't mention what type of battery you used for your solar system, but it appears to be a flooded lead acid battery, which means it's critical that IT BE VENTED TO OUTSIDE OF THE LIVING SPACE. Lead acid batteries off-gas hydrogen, which is highly flammable/explosive. If that is in fact the type of battery you have you're gonna want to seal and vent your battery box ASAP.
Thank you !!

1) - I wasn't unhappy before. But I wasn't as happy as I thought I could be. In the first two weeks after quitting, I'm finding that to be accurate (feeling happier)

2) - It's a Lifeline AGM. So, no venting needed. I do need to secure the battery so it doesn't become 165lbs of certain death in a rollover.

C40

Post by C40 »

whoops, double post
Last edited by C40 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C40

Post by C40 »

-------------------------------------------
JULY 2016
-------------------------------------------

QUITTING/RETIRING
My last day of work was July 15. After that, the plan was to start heading northwest and get out to Washington and Oregon where a couple of my close friends live – and spend the tail end of summer up there before it gets cloudy and rainy. I’m on track – today I’m in Bozeman, Montana.

SPENDING
TOTAL SPENDING: $1071
  • * -$343 – Gas/Van expenses. (includes $85 yearly AAA membership)
    * $291 – Health (mostly insurance!)
    * $229 - Food
    * $152 – Hobbies/Entertainment
    * $56 – Household stuff and clothes
I bought health insurance a few days ago. My income is too high this year and I get no subsidy. The cheapest plan was $235/mo. The one I bought was $277. It has better coverage outside of network and after deductible is passed. There was only one “Nationwide Network” plan. It is a gold plan offered by Samford – and word on the internet is they cancel coverage of people like me who use mail forwarding addresses. What a bunch of jerk-faces, huh?

Next year I’ll get a lot of subsidy and I’m confident insurance cost will be under $100/month.

INVESTING

I invested the proceeds of my house sale in PEY and VPU. I sold some of the PEY when I found a couple stocks to buy: EMR and CMI. The yield on PEY and VPU is about 2.75%, so I plan to sell of shares over time as I find stocks I want to buy.

This month I got raises from RAI, OHI, VPU, and CMI. Their dividend increases in 2016 amount to $169/year. RAI made a huge jump – a 28% increase. I still have a vision of National marijuana prohibition ending and my tobacco stocks making a killing. It’s a long-term bet though.

In this chart, I use 4% for the theoretical yield – the blue double line. It represents potential income when I invest all my 401k and pension money. The challenge will be in how much yield I can actually get. When I first started buying dividend stocks a few years ago, I was getting an average yield of around 4.3% on my purchases. Now my average is down to 4.1%. I expect that as I convert my stock mutual funds to individual DGI stocks, I won’t actually achieve that theoretical line. But I have to remember that I’ve gotten a lot of capital gains in my 401k from those same price increases. So about the only way I get a high yield is if prices go back down, and the only way I really win in that case is if they go down after I sell the mutual funds, or if I’m just successful in picking winners. So I think my total net worth and probably that theoretical income line are overinflated.

I saw today that the PSX price dropped to the level I bought it at a few months ago. I’ll see if there was any major problem and if not, I may buy more.

HOBBY INCOME
I haven’t done any work on my hobby income stream for over a year, but I’m still getting $60-$90 per month from it. When I was last making new stuff, I tried making content for which interest would not drop off over time, and I think that helped. I expect to do more work on it starting near the end of this year, and that income should increase.

GOALS
I’ve achieved most of the goals I set for the first half of 2016, so now I need to set some new ones. Right now I’d guess they will include:
  • * Increase hobby income. Maybe starting new streams, but that would be in 2017
    * Fitness/health goals. (diet, exercise, physical fitness/strength/resilience)
    * Finance - converting 401k and pension to income producing investments (I don’t really need to do this yet, except for the bit of money flowing into my Roth IRA each year)
    * Some kind of self-actualization?? Uhhhh?

THE LAST FIRST DAY
I bought and started making my van into an Adventure Mobile in April 2015. Since finishing the van around March this year, I’ve had a number of what felt like “First Days”. The first was moving into the van. I did that on March 25. Then I sold my house and drove the van out of St Louis for good – that felt like a big first day. Then I finished up some work in Iowa and could drive the van west to Colorado. Then I had my first camping trips (of this year) in Colorado. Then I had the van in and around Denver for 3-4 weeks – what felt like a transitional period.

But on this day, I had finished my last week of work. I had made my preparations to embark – to leave Denver and head towards the northwest. This time, there would be no more going back to work. There would be no more ‘launch days’. This was it – this was the Last First Day.

TRAVEL
First off, here’s the general route I’m taking from Denver to Seattle:

After the end of the route above, I’ll keep going west and south into Seattle. If any of you live in/near my path and want to meet up, don’t be shy.

I told my friends that I wanted to get out to Seattle around August 10, and to Portland around August 25. This means that on the way to Seattle, I’m moving much quicker than I expect to be in the future. I’ve often felt like I’m rushing more than I want to – for one - by spending more on gas, and more so because I’m not spending much time in a single place. Many times I camped just one night in National Forests. I don’t really like that. I think the rest of the way to Seattle I’ll do more driving at a time, and then camp two nights at a time.

The vandwelling/travel is going very well. I’m having a blast. One awesome thing that has happened since quitting: I don’t have to spend any “decision energy” on work. I’ve made changes to other things much quicker – so far: diet and exercise. Even in the van with a very minimal kitchen, I’m eating as well as I ever have. I’ve also started exercising almost every day.

DIET IMPROVEMENTS
I hadn't been eating that great over the past two years. My job required a lot of travel, and it was much more difficult to eat well while traveling. Also, I let my diet go a bit over the last year while I was building the van, getting my house prepped for and selling it, spending time with a girlfriend, and getting ready to quit my job.

After quitting my job and that “last first day” (hitting the road for good) - it only took about a week to change my diet.

When I moved into the van in late March, I was eating food that I could prepare without cooking: mostly sandwiches and salads. I started cooking gradually. Now, I’m eating almost the same as I would with a full kitchen:
- Most meals are a sort of stir-fry, always including chicken*, bell peppers, rice, and 2-3 other types of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, etc.). Then I add some type of sauce - these days it’s mostly green chili sauce. Using different sauces makes the meal seem very different. I also use some types of indian and asian sauces.
- Smaller meals are typically an apple, orange or banana, and either a can of sardines or a whey protein shake.
- When out on a long hike or bike ride (2-3 hours or more) I bring along peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - using some wonderful jelly and jam that my brother’s girlfriend makes.

The only other thing I eat is a bit of dark chocolate. mmmmm. And some tea occasionally. About 65% of the food I eat by volume is now vegetables and fruit. Then about 25% meat, and 10% bread or rice.

* Chicken — when I had a kitchen, most of my meat (including for sandwiches) came from buying and roasting whole fresh chickens. I don’t want to carry and clean a solar oven, so roasting meat is out of the question now. I’ve started buying the rotisserie chickens at grocery stores. I know these aren’t the greatest chickens, but they’ll work well enough for now.

EXERCISE IMPROVEMENTS
I’ve been exercising nearly every day. I’m doing a lot of hiking, some bike rides, and some strength-training calisthenics. I’m hiking about 5-10 hours per week, running 1, bike riding 1-2, and doing the strength training once or twice.

For the strength training, I’m currently doing:
- One-leg squats, while holding onto something static to give more resistance
- Sort of one-arm pushups (I put the other arm out further and keep that arm straight. If there is a way to do it with my feet up higher, I do)
- Pull ups (pronated grip, fairly wide. I switched to these from supinated grip which I I’ve used for years because it is easier on my tendons)

I do 4-5 sets of each. Sometimes the pull-ups are a challenge - it can be tough finding a tree with a good branch. In cities it’s easy - find a pull-up bar in a park, or use playground equipment. I imaging after some time I’ll need to add more resistance for all three of these. I can wear a backpack with stuff inside.

There are some things I want to add to this regimen:
- Replace overhead press - I’ll probably start trying handstand pushups
- Grip/hand strength. I have an Ivanko Super gripper. Need to start using it. Plus other things I can do without needing equipment.
- Stomach/core strength
- foot raises - for the muscles on the front of my lower leg.
- L-Flys
- Neck strength (I haven’t done them much, but I’m not a fan of bridges. I can figure something else out - I could use the weighted backpack)

I’ve gotten to be what I consider too fat over the last few years. When I use a caliper on a certain spot of my stomach (about 2” above the top/front of my pelvis) I’m at 18mm. I expect to get down below 10mm. In very ballpark conversions, that will be less than 10% body fat. I’m quite good at gaining and losing weight, but not having a scale makes it significantly harder. In lieu of that, I’m using the fat caliper, and body dimension measures. I feel like I may be losing weight a little too quickly, but it’s hard to tell without a scale. I should check the caliper and measurements again soon.

I’ve ridden my bike exactly one time on Forest Service roads. It did not go well. One issue was washboarding on the road – when I went down some too fast, I got a flat tire and my saddleback attachment broke (it has a plastic part that was already cracked). The other problem is riding my road bike tires on gravel/dirt/sand that is too soft and too deep. I’m going to take a look at how wide of tires I can fit in my current bike, but I expect to be buying a different type of bike soon. I’m looking at cyclocross bikes right now, which will allow tires of at least 35mm, and in some cases up to 45mm. I want a bike that I will also be happy riding on roads. I think a flat-bar bike will be harder to store than one with road/curved handlebars.

READING
I’ve started reading “Undaunted Courage” by Stephen Ambrose. It’s about the Lewis and Clarke expedition. It’s incredibly interesting for me. There are some very specific details - starting with how the trip originated and the relationship between Meriwether Lewis and Thomas Jefferson (I’ve been learning about Jefferson over the last year or so from listening to the “Thomas Jefferson Hour” podcast. If you like podcasts, you should check it out)

There are some interesting similarities between their expedition and Vandwelling. The beginning of the book has a lot of details about Lewis’ preparations - from building boats to use as their main means of transportation (at least for much of the trip), deciding what provisions to bring, and studying various subjects before leaving.

I’m in Bozeman now and today I went on a bike ride – on a road someone here recommended. It’s funny, I’d spoken to her last night about the Lewis and Clarke book, and she knew a LOT about them and their trip. What she didn’t tell me is that on the bike route she had already recommended, there is a sign noting that Clark and the other men camped right there on their return trip. Awesome!

PICTURES

I was hanging out in parks quite a lot in Denver (Washington park and Cheeseman)

In Colorado, out west of Nederland, on the way to Yankee Doodle and Jenny lakes

Yankee Doodle Lake. I camped pretty close to the lake, my spot is visible in the picture – in that road just above the lake, but the van is obscured by a couple trees.

I’ve been doing a lot of hiking. This area was my favorite. I hiked up along the top of the ridges visible in the right 40% of this picture. I love this kind of hiking – no trails, but without a lot of trees – so you can decide where you want to go and you can see where you’re going.

Up along that ridge line

This was in northern Colorado – the lake is one of the Hohnholz lakes. I loved the drive up to these.

There are SAND DUNES in Colorado!

Southwest Wyoming.

A lake along the Green River. Near this beach was the coolest historical sign I’ve seen so far. It described:
- The Indians that lived along here, and how the lake was named by three different groups of people.
- That the Oregon trail crossed Green River right around here (I’m all but certain the river was not as wide then, assuming it is damned downstream) – and that a lot of people drowned here, and that they were buried next to the river, some with simple grave markers, some with writing done on rocks, and some with nothing
- Something else that I can’t remember right now
Of course, I went for a swim here.

This was along a back road from La Barge to Alpine. It was a wonderful drive. About a hundred miles of road like this. I broke the drive up into two days.

Yellowtone. One wrong step off this platform and it’s certain death!

(The orange light is an “OD off” light. Not a check engine.

Hiking in Yellowtone (Mt. Washburn I believe)

Taking a forest service road to camp just outside the northeast entrance of Yellowstone.

Hiking up above that campsite

I drove the Beartooth Scenic Byways and it is incredible! There are incredible views.

Red Lodge, MT.
Last edited by C40 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What gorgeous photos! I am rather envious, because my camper does not move.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Oh, man.... this is just soooo good. The work to get there, the last-first day and then the spoils all in one post. Absolutely fabulous.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

dayum. isn't C40 worried about privacy with the open windows with no curtains?

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Re: exercise. Have you considered a pair of wood gymnastic rings? They weigh little, take up almost no space, and the ways you can use them are absurd. Instead of finding a good tree branch, any branch can anchor your rings and give you not only pullups, but whatever else you would want to do, including something to hold on to for your single leg squats, or a foot hold for Bulgarian split squats.

Rogue sells a pair for $72, and you might find used ones for cheaper. You can 't ruin them unless you leave them in the rain.
Last edited by DSKla on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

DSKla wrote:Rogue sells a pair for $72, and you might find used ones for cheaper. You can ruin them unless you leave them in the rain.
I'll sell a used pair (Elite II) clear w/ red webbing + DVD for $35 (shipping included).

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Wow -- how inspiring!

The photos really are terrific. Thanks for documenting and sharing.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Quite the accomplishment. You're living it!! Good for you.