Vasectomy? Child-free life?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
enigmaT120

Re: Vasectomy? Child-free life?

Post by enigmaT120 »

Yes to both. I had to shop doctors as I was in my early 20s, but I found one who would do it. Doc cauterized the ends but zero pain or other side effects afterwards. Yes I brought them a sample to confirm that it worked! Though now I have a microscope, I could check it myself.

I'm not promiscuous (nor poly amorous) so I don't use condoms. If I had to use a condom I'd rather just take care of it myself, I hate condoms. I only aim for long term monogamous relationships.

I'm vain enough to think I should have donated sperm before the procedure, though!

Another alternative is to find older, post-menopausal women who are very unlikely to get pregnant.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

BRUTE wrote:brute uses abstinence. easy when no human females want to procreate with him.
Saves a lot of hassle, but hopefully you do what you have to do to help prevent prostate cancer. 5 days or more per week.

I wouldn't trust the warrior diet to help you there!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

enigmaT120 wrote:Saves a lot of hassle, but hopefully you do what you have to do to help prevent prostate cancer. 5 days or more per week.
Seriously? Is that the recommended 'dosage'??

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Yep. Not that it's a burden for me or anything.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA29785 ... 1469639886

I had read the original study from Australia but I can't find it any more.

I am outside the age range that they were tracking now (20 - 50) but I bet Brute isn't.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

that's not going to be a problem.

slog

Post by slog »

The product being developed as an alternative to vasectomy is called Vasalgel (...that name....).
I remember Wired putting out a pretty thorough article on it a while back.<EDIT>That article was actually on RISUG, which while still a polymer deposit claimed to maim sperm rather than blocking it.</EDIT>
When this hits the market I will seriously be considering it. Unprotected sex in a monogamous relationship is wonderful and it would be nice to take hormonal solutions out of the equation to make that possible with reduced risk of pregnancy.
https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/

Per the FAQ:
We want to get Vasalgel on the market as soon as possible, but all the proper efficacy and safety testing needs to be completed. Vasalgel is currently undergoing animal testing, product qualification and safety testing. Human trials are expected to start in 2016 (small trial) and 2017 (larger trials). If everything goes well and with enough public support, we hope to get Vasalgel on the market as early as 2018.
<EDIT> It seems reversibility studies have not been started yet </EDIT>

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My ex was a big wimp, so I got my tubes clamped after our second child was born. My primary care physician, likely because I told her I have multiple partners, thinks it is funny to tell me stories about other older female patients who think they are going through menopause, but then discover that they are pregnant. There is a very, very slim chance of clamps failing after decades of use, so I coached myself to always inquire about "supplies" with a new partner. The possibility of contracting AIDS is very slim, yet frightening, but the possibility of finding oneself pregnant, living in a camper, and uncertain about the paternity of your love-lump, at the age of 51, well, that is in another realm altogether.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I buy $3 per piece pregnancy tests and then pee on one every two months or so. I figure I'm not 7 to 9 months pregnant ("I thought I had appendicitis, but I was having a baby!"- situations) if I:

1. Use birth control properly
2. Have my normal and regular periods
3. Have had a negative pregnancy test result in the last two months...

If I turn out to be nine months pregnant anyway, at least I'll have a pretty good story to tell :-)

PS. I really really really don't want to be pregnant, I really don't want to bring children into this world. So this is my strategy to prevent that.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@DutchGirl: Good strategy. I had one light period after conceiving my son due to failure of contraceptive sponge, so I was well into the completely exhausted and vomiting at the sight of food stage before I made the good decision to have the baby and the bad decision to marry the father. Of course, the fact that I love my DS28 and also very much like him as an individual, is the emotional reason why I say it was a good decision, but the rational reason why I say it was a good decision is that I am somebody who would have eventually chosen to have kids anyways, and contrary to current popular opinion on the matter, I think if you are going to have kids it is better to start having them and finish having them when you are young. My reasons are you will have more younger relatives available to help you, you will not be so ego engaged in parenting and less likely to hover, you will be left with a wide expanse of healthy mid-life years to do with as you please once project of parenting is wrapped up, and it is far less likely that you will have to suffer through hassle and expense of fertility treatment.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well, only you know your mind. Me, I always knew I didn't want kids. I tried to get snipped at 22, while in the army. Once again, free medical is worth every penny. Denied. Policy was that only after demonstrating that my children were placing undue financial burden, would I be authorized to receive a vasectomy.

I did it at 35, fully insured. Cost me $20 copay, and a bad weekend.

My dad had one after 4 kids. At the birth of my first nephew, he asked when I was going to get him grandkids.

"Dad, I don't plan to have kids."

"Well, I didn't plan to have kids, either. Sometimes things just happen."

" No Dad, you didn't plan to have kids. I plan to not have kids. There is a world of difference. I had my vasectomy Thursday. "

I'm 45 now. One of my criteria for online dating was no kids, and not wanting kids. My wife sees kids in public, and whispers "thank you".

For me, breeder-need was a deal breaker. That is how I feel on the subject. I wasn't going to get in a relationship with a potential mommy wannabe. That eliminates most women from my dating pool, and I was OK with that.

Young or not, you know your mind. If you don't want kids at this point, fine, use a condom. But if you know you don't want kids, now or ever, well, certainty is worth the price of admission.

Speaking of certainty, there is variation of technique. Snip, section, cauterized, and knotted. My Dr removed a section, cauterized each end, then knotted them. As he put it " you may have heard this operation is reversible, not if I do it."

And still I had swimmers 6 weeks later. This resolved itself by the follow up test, 6 months later.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Riggerjack wrote: As he put it " you may have heard this operation is reversible, not if I do it.
Ha. That's some badass language from a doctor. :lol:

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Yeah. He didn't mince words. We got along very well. He was my regular MD before he moved away.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Hopefully, he didn't mince anything.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

OP: You could get a vasectomy if that's what you want. If there's even a 1% chance you might change your mind about having kids, you could also bank your sperm. After all, it's in the best condition it's ever going to be right now. If you don't want to pay for that and your parents are like most, they'll probably be happy to foot the bill.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I want to be like the director of a sperm bank in England, who just used his own for most of the people who wanted some. Yeah he was ripping them off, but wow, hundreds of kids and he didn't have to raise them. He wins the natural selection game this round!

I don't remember where I read about the story, and I'm fuzzy on the details. I am pretty good at thinking about natural selection, and that story obviously impressed me.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Cecil Jacobson? An American fertility doctor... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Jacobson

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

enigmaT120 wrote:I want to be like the director of a sperm bank in England, who just used his own for most of the people who wanted some. Yeah he was ripping them off, but wow, hundreds of kids and he didn't have to raise them. He wins the natural selection game this round!

I don't remember where I read about the story, and I'm fuzzy on the details. I am pretty good at thinking about natural selection, and that story obviously impressed me.

brute thinks that's a great example of winning the wrong game.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

DutchGirl wrote:Cecil Jacobson? An American fertility doctor... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Jacobson
:shock:

On the bright side, he's probably won't get prostate cancer.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

DutchGirl wrote:Cecil Jacobson? An American fertility doctor... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Jacobson
And here I was trying to blame an Englishman! As many as 75, huh?

I like this line: "He could not account for the incident in which his own sperm was used in place of the patient's husband's, other than to suggest cross-contamination in the laboratory."

Brute, natural selection is the only game! I played to lose.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

From the description: "As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits."

No, that is never how natural selection works. We 'splain it that way, but it's always been about who can get his or her genes propagated.