Trusted Traveler Programs - Global Entry, Sentri, Nexus, TSA

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
RealPerson

Re: Trusted Traveler Programs - Global Entry, Sentri, Nexus, TSA

Post by RealPerson »

jennypenny wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Global Entry card?

Mine took a couple of months. Mostly the wait to get an appointment with Homeland Security.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I filled out the applications on 5/3 for my whole family. DH and the kids were approved 5/6. I'm still waiting LOL.

FYI ... The first appointments available for the interview are in July.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

jennypenny wrote:I filled out the applications on 5/3 for my whole family. DH and the kids were approved 5/6. I'm still waiting LOL.

FYI ... The first appointments available for the interview are in July.
The wait for an appointment is what I was referring to. It pays to check back frequently because people do cancel upcoming appointments. You could get a recently opened spot. The appointment itself is a pure formality.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

RealPerson wrote:It pays to check back frequently because people do cancel upcoming appointments. You could get a recently opened spot. The appointment itself is a pure formality.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep checking because DH and DD would use it this summer if I could get it sooner. Do you get the card at the appointment or do they mail it to you?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@ simplex,
. The government has a monopoly on border control, and I think it should be accountable to all citizens. You can bypass hassle by paying to a private company. Imagine the same with taxes, defence, ... (areas where the government has a monopoly).
Well,I can't think of any defense hassles to buy your way out of, other than not buying RE in military flight paths.

However, have you read our tax code? Or seen how many tax lawyers, and accountants, we have? You can already buy your way past taxes. We have a special court system set aside for it.

The difference between your examples and GE, is GE is available to the commoners. You seem to object to the standards of the aristocracy available to the middle class. It seems an odd place to draw the line.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

jennypenny wrote:
RealPerson wrote:It pays to check back frequently because people do cancel upcoming appointments. You could get a recently opened spot. The appointment itself is a pure formality.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep checking because DH and DD would use it this summer if I could get it sooner. Do you get the card at the appointment or do they mail it to you?
Sorry JP, I missed this post. The card is mailed to you. No need for a local pickup. Good luck.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I take a good book with me and don't sweat the queues.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Thx RP. I went for my interview a few weeks ago and the card came in the mail shortly afterward. I was able to add it to my flight info since they give you the number immediately.

I thought the whole process was easy and surprisingly well run for a government program. The hardest part was scheduling the interview at a time they could take all 3 of us.