The KonMari method

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: The KonMari method

Post by jacob »

@JasonR - I see what you did there :lol: :twisted:

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am, too.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@JasonR: ROTFLMAO. I well remember the invasion of the affluent grandparents years. I think I could barely shut the door on the play room by the time they were 3 and 5, and there are many photographs documenting the fact that at one point my son was in possession of more than 3 little Lord Fauntleroy suits inclusive of bow-tie, even though I generally allowed him to run around half naked. I eventually was able to persuade them to distribute their largesse more in the form of educational travel adventures, ballet lessons and taking my kids to see every Disney movie the second it appeared in theaters. I like playing hostess, so that has been a bit of a conflict with my simple life fantasy too. My future plan is to have my usually unheated greenhouse space double as my party space.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Another issue I found lacking was the lack any consideration for systemic integration of one's stuff. It was as if each item was considered for sparks of joy independent of all other items.

Example: You have a suit that sparks joy. The shirt and the tie spark joy too. However, the Oxford shoes do not, so you get rid of them. However, now you only have joggers, and so you can no longer wear your suit without looking like an art designer.

Maybe this example is too simple and maybe the solution would be to go out and buy new shoes (yay?!) or maybe it's presumed that one has enough substitute dress shoes so that such actions don't break any systems. However, I can easily think of more complex systems that are more optimized and where missing items would break the system.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I think that's my biggest issue with her method. The 'sparks of joy' thing sounds good, but if a person is strict about it they could end up with 10 pieces of artwork and no underwear.

Maybe my INT*ness is the problem. I see beauty in a well-oiled machine or a well-functioning plan, where all the bits and pieces are working together (like jacob's web). Maybe a better word for me would be 'harmony'. If something integrates seemlessly into my system and enriches the harmony instead of detracting from it, then it stays.

slog

Post by slog »

This is going to sound really mundane after all the discussion of ethics and self discovery, but I thought the best part was about folding clothes. I think I was genuinely amazed when I found out a folded t-shirt could stand tall without collapsing. My dresser drawers are looking fine!

confused

Post by confused »

I recently read this book thinking I could still learn something even though I did a huge declutter years ago. Stuff still creeps back!

mostly I learnt that marie kondo possibly has a compulsive disorder (throwing out her families things when she was just a kid), but hey, if it works for her...!

but the spark joy/thanking your things actually works a little for me. It sounds a bit new-agey nonsense, but I find just taking a moment to think about the object I'm discarding... why do I have it, did it work for me, why have I kept it? I find reflecting on it helps me not replace it with other crap!

And I took spark joy to be gives me joy or has a purpose. My iron doesn't spark joy at all but it serves the purpose of making me look less like a crumpled scarecrow!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

The thing about talking with your socks; It's not new age, it's been practiced since ancient Greece.
In its original form it was called Negative Visualization:
http://lifehacker.com/5847931/negative- ... ready-have

I always recommend that people read A Guide to the Good Life by Irvine before the KonMari book. Her crazy ideas make sense if you see them from a different perspective than that of a crazy Japanese woman who loves stacking and folding her possessions.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I read this book as part of a book club. The first third was an advertisement for her business. I got out maybe out maybe one or two things out of the book. A different way to fold my socks! The whole deal with "does this spark joy", well, probably it doesn't, but some things are necessities and I'm not going to run and lout and replace them so they have a pretty color or pattern on them that makes me happy. I couldn't believe she came out with a second book, but milking if for all it's worth she is with her five minutes of fame.

Sorry this sounds so negative, but really, this book makes it seem like people are really, really stupid, which may or not be true.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

inchicago wrote:...Sorry this sounds so negative, but really, this book makes it seem like people are really, really stupid, which may or not be true.
I gave your post some very serious thought. And after hours upon hours of contemplation I can't find fault in your argumentation. People who don't like the same books as you are unintelligent, it cannot be any other way :lol:

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

FBeyer wrote: I gave your post some very serious thought. And after hours upon hours of contemplation I can't find fault in your argumentation. People who don't like the same books as you are unintelligent, it cannot be any other way :lol:
Oh no! That's not how I meant my post to come across at all! :(

I meant that I felt the author was making people sound like they are stupid, not that people are stupid from reading the book. Trust me, I'm not that mean-spirited or judgmental. Sorry you thought that. :(

Ego

Post by Ego »

Soon you can be certified in the Kondo method. $1,500 for a three-day session.

One of my favorite feature writers wrote a very funny Kondo piece in the New York Times magazine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/magaz ... stuff.html

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

oh a cute japanese lady has an idea that isn't bonkers. let's fetishize her and commercialize everything she said.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That article is funny ... "At Conference, I met women who organize basements. I met women who organize digital clutter. I met women who organize photos. I met women who categorized themselves as “solopreneurs,” which, what’s that now? I met a woman who organizes thoughts, and please don’t move onto the next sentence until you’ve truly absorbed that: I met a woman who charges $100 per hour for the organization of thoughts. I heard the word “detritus” pronounced three different ways. I met a woman in camouflage (though the invitation begged us to confine ourselves to our native business-casual), who carried a clipboard and called herself Major Mom, and instead of an organizer she calls herself a liberator, like in Falluja."

Honestly, this sounds like a hot business that suited to ERE-types.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Taffy Brodesser-Akner is a wickedly funny writer. I discovered her by stumbling upon this article in GQ and have since followed her on twitter:

http://www.gq.com/story/sugar-daddies-explained

Maybe another ERE income stream idea? :lol: She also took her Hasidic mom to a stoner convention in Colorado.

http://www.gq.com/story/got-high-with-mom-hempcon

Sometimes I think the greatest loss from the death of print media will be that people like her will find other things to do. I sure hope she doesn't become a Kondo-organizer.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

jacob wrote: Each discard-fest begins with dumping all the like-kinds in the house on the floor and then going through it all. So it's not a room by room approach or a drawer by drawer approach. It's a class by class approach.
This is also how I decluttered books May 15. Stacked them one on top of the other on the floor.

Then sorted them into stacks based on:

study/non-study.
Study: Further into which exam they were for, so I could take them to the right reseller.
Notebooks/textbooks.
Notebooks into: Used up/Unused pages that can be spiral bound to make new notebooks.
Keep/discard.
Discard pile into: Resell/scrap.

I also made a list which is also in the journal to keep track of depreciation cost: viewtopic.php?t=6084#p92938

Only regrets are:
Should have kept few of the books which I had made many notes on for their sentimental value and later back referencing.
Should have sold remote controlled car which is still occuping 1 cu ft space for the figurative pennies on the dollar to the prospective buyer.

Ego

Post by Ego »

THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF DECLUTTERING IN A POST-APOCALYPTIC WORLD

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... ptic-world

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

There's an app now: https://konmari.com/app/ (iOS only)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

BRUTE wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:18 pm
oh a cute japanese lady has an idea that isn't bonkers. let's fetishize her and commercialize everything she said.
The show doubles down. They even made the autoplay on hover moan.

My wife said the message is toned down from her books.