NYC Meetup #10

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
namesarehard

Re: NYC Meetup #10

Post by namesarehard »

Great meeting everyone, hope we do it again soon : )

+1 topic - interesting tax facts.

namesarehard

Post by namesarehard »

[never mind, the room was just filled]
Last edited by namesarehard on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neenqqqr

Post by neenqqqr »

Hi NYC ERE's!

Before making a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one to see if somebody has any helpful advice. I've been following this blog since 2009. I never made an account on the forums as I was focused on school in another city and at that time, I was very active as a couchsurfer and the mentality of sharing my home with guests from around the world. And by home, I mean they slept on my couch in a small apartment that a grad student could afford :) Now that I have a job, I can afford more but luckily, I fully embrace the ERE philosophy (I find it interesting Jacob has the same educational background as me and wonder what if any correlation can be drawn...I *really* look forward to going to the next area meetup!) I tend to be too verbose so let me get to my reason for posting.

[remove irrelevant verbosity]

I am open to almost any living situation and anywhere that is connected to the MTA is fine with me (I found several room shares in Long Island and above the Bronx but the costs of the Metro Rail or LIRR is insanely high which made the savings not worth it compared to the prices of room shares in Brooklyn). I'm hoping to pay a lot less than the room shares I'm finding on CL as they are more the split 3 bedroom kind of thing. I'm happy in a living room or sharing a room with another person or two (so long as the two are not a couple). If I can't find a lead here, I'm gonna have to go for a room share in Brooklyn but I am hoping I can so I can jump start my savings again but even more importantly, the last month of me living in a hotel room has made me feel ill, it goes against my entire philosophical view on life, sharing and culture. I really want to get back to what I know and what I like. Thank you!

PS I'm going PM namesarehard now, but I doubt the room is still available :(
Last edited by neenqqqr on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

I finally got my performance evaluation today and it went well. I asked my manager if I could work from home 2-3 days week, and he said yes without me mentioning my long commute or any other reason for why I want to work from home or why he should let me work from home. It kind of makes me think I should have asked sooner instead of worrying that he was going to say no.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouraging words, Chris! I'm really glad I went to the NYC meetup, or I would have kept procrastinating about asking.

Chris

Post by Chris »

fuyu wrote:I'm really glad I went to the NYC meetup, or I would have kept procrastinating about asking.
Yet another satisfied customer of ERE meetups. (-:

I'm glad you followed through on this fuyu, I was planning to poke you about it in July to ensure you did!

Enjoy your added flexibility, and remember, "home" means any location that's not the office (-;