Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
Ego

Re: Zalo's Journey

Post by Ego »

Zalo wrote:I'm not sure I can handle 40-60 hour weeks in an office without losing part of my soul for the accumulation years (which would still be OK in the long run, I admit).
I remember the moment this insight hit me. It was followed rather quickly by another more terrifying one. Coworkers who just months before were feeling the same way but then experienced changes at home and suddenly looked forward to their workday as respite from something worse.

Maybe rather than finding the job you could make it. Gain some experience like theanimal and put it to work for yourself.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Olaz wrote: The problem seems to lie on how to make the next 5 years of my life "not suck" while saving enough to full-time adventure after that.
I've been trying to figure this out for at least a year by now. No job would keep me interested for more than a week or two. :|

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Lalala--updates!

I'm up to 38K from all the hard work this summer and some help from stipends.

I need to:

1. Update resume, CL, LinkedIn, and other job documentation ASAP
2. NETWORK. Like, yesterday. Like, a month ago.
3. Finish Harvard Business School's CORe (just need to take 3 finals in the next week....goodie)
4. Strategize and pick relatively easier Fall classes
5. Study for Geology comps
6. Figure out orthognathic surgery timetable, insurance, and cost
7. Complete application for US Citizenship
8. Re-connect with partners and polyamours that have been away for the summer

Let's see, in about 10 months, I'll be kicked out into the work world, if said job is obtained. I need to finish my last year of college while concurrently landing a job in most likely buy side of finance, finishing the interview process for US citizenship, and organizing, paying for, and undergoing orthodontics during the school year and orthognathic surgery early next summer (possibly for both upper and lower; but lower is likely enough to stop any medical issues in their tracks), all while loving the close people in my life.

Lots on ye olde plate at the moment, but progress is steady. I feel like I'm piloting the tall ship of my life hailing: "steady as she goes goddammit!" :lol:

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Olza is getting stuff done :) nice

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Okay! Things are happening. Seven months before I graduate college.

Affectionate friend break-ups, extensive surgery insurance research, classes, new people, partner break-up, information sessions, new asset allocation, close friend break-ups, new like-minded communities, weekly intra-state travel, 20 hour work week, primary partner break-up and re-connection, van living research, career ethical crises, financial planning job apps/networking. It's all happening in Zalo land, and somehow I'm still hanging on to the wheel with compassion and endurance in mind!

I joined a "village" of like-minded, goal oriented people for accountability, and used my school's mentoring program to be connected with an alumni mentor.

This guy's real cool: 60 ish retired oil man turned geologist. He's a business man, frugal, understands poly and alternative lifestyles, and likes aggressive savings rates and goals. Should be good.

Savings: 40K (80% US, 20% Int). Buying assets feels great!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Holy moly, how did you manage to find a mentor like that?
And you've invested 12K$ in four months? You're a college student and you're saving up more money than I make post-tax?

Somethings awry...

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@FBeyer: A lot of it comes from using a lump sum of food & housing stipends from scholarships efficiently, and I was also working 60 hour weeks over the 12-14 weeks of summer. I researched the entire mentor database to find someone like that. So, in short, a very privileged, well endowed school combined with optimization and elbow grease.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Sweeeeeet!
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude....
Sweeeeet.
Duuuude.

Happy for ya. Keep on trucking.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Thanks brother :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

what's it say though?

zalo once again kicking ass. brute approves.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

You've got a real talent for learning from others. It's rare to find that in someone smart, especially so young. It's already serving you well, but long term, the difference it makes will be huge.

Congrats on finding the mentor IRL.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

+1 to everything said. You've invested more than me this year. :P Being in your low 20's with that level of savings is very impressive!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Belly up to the bar everyone. Zalo's buying! Zalo's buying! :lol:

ether

Post by ether »

*High Five Zalo* Keep it going!

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Life is looking really good. I've been:

1. recording my progress briefly every day via a two e-mail draft system. One is a draft for current long-term goals + resources, and a second for To-do's related to those goals.

2. figuring out how to purchase my own health insurance for corrective jaw surgery/orthodontia.

3. pretty much finishing Fall Semester in a week.

4. preparing for a final interview in financial planning (it seems like an OK gig, but I'm trying to find something that doesn't require me to "build my own client book" -- bah!). I'm now starting to apply to more jobs due to finished school work. I'll be targeting investing places with a cause (endowments, philanthropy, etc.). At this point, I'm applying everywhere geographically.

5. seeing at my point of stress a lot more frequently (even wearing my reading glasses now!). I read a small-ish print sign today from 10 feet away the other day. Will go to the optometrist soon to see progress I've made.

6. Researching van living and travel through Vanabode. Will do preliminary research on van models that meet my needs best in Jan.

7. Still working as many hours as I can fit into my schedule and investing as much of it as possible.

8. Spending time with my primary partner, two affectionate close friends, and close friends. Reading More Than Two to educate myself on polyamory. My PP keeps dealing with pushback against me and polyamory from conservative family and friends--even if they haven't even met me or read anything related to poly ("OMG he didn't make you tea this morning?! You should dump him!!).

9. Researching for a light weight touring bike that can fit two wheel sets (winter + summer) to replace my mountain and road bike. Currently reaching out to folks on Craigslist.

10. Still awaiting US citizenship interview call. I'd like to have this before trying van living.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I'm glad things are going better. Good for you.
two wheel sets (winter + summer)
This works but a cheaper alternative that requires less storage space is to just switch tires on one set of wheels. I'll be doing that today. It doesn't take that long.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

You go! Seems like you will the Bannerman of ERE going forward! ;)

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Visiting home in Miami at the moment. This place has me STRESSED the f@#$ out! Since I've been here, I've re-connected with three old high school friends, who are now done with college. One is a substitute teacher, the other a life guard, and the third unemployed. I've also spent time with some of my brother's friends, who also graduated from college a few year's ago. One is working the front desk of FPL and living at home (master's degree), the other working as a bartender, and the third unemployed. Meanwhile, my parents still owe 170k on their mortgage with a 30k annual income, have a few thousand in credit card debt, have a leased car and own a jeep (for urban roads), and work minimum wage, body-destroying jobs in their late 50's/early 60's. At least they have about 10k saved up, but...man, I hate visiting home.

I've upped my job searching to a panicked A LOT, because graduation is in a few months and I do NOT want to be living back home in this backwards, retail, and depressing city, thank you very much. I'm also still super annoyed at this insurance @#%! from delaying orthodontic/jaw treatment for longer than necessary. It bothers me so much to not have control over essential tooth structures wearing away unnecessarily.

Anyway, before I go on complaining, life is still stupidly good in the large scheme of things, I'm simply very panicked and frustrated at the moment.

-----------------------------------------

PROGRESS:

1. Naturalization citizenship interview in two weeks
2. Passed my driver''s license test
3. Relationships: upped my STI safety practices
4. Finished my penultimate semester of college
5. Decided to outline my parents financial siutation to make a "make parent's life better plan" w/ my brother

Total Networth: 47K
Last edited by TopHatFox on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I'm pretty sure kids are not responsible for parents debts, so don't worry about inheriting any. It's interesting that you have that knowledge of your parents finances. I doubt my in-laws even know themselves, let alone would tell us.

Even if you do end up back there, you have the drive to get out. You won't be there forever.

Merry Christmas!

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Zalo,

Your family's financial situation (and your ability to parse it clearly) is a tremendous tool for you. I had an early, disastrous marriage whose greatest value was in showing me what I didn't want from life. Consider your time spent at home as a free motivational seminar.