Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
relentlessaction

Re: Zalo's Journey

Post by relentlessaction »

Great news Zalo! I like the planning. You will most definitely have a great head-start being so young. I wish I thought of all this sooner TBH.

IMO which might be a suggestion for yourself is now with the internet. There are ton's of ways to make money online as well as blogging and/or even tech based jobs that don't necessarily require a degree. You could also freelance online for extra money online, learn a programming language or similar. It's worth it since most of those options can be completed without any capital and even then you do still have a bit of savings.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Woopdie do, it looks like I"ll be applying to ten to twenty (as much as I can) business, consulting, investing, etc. jobs over the next two to three weeks. Honestly, I read about personal finance, investing, and even insurance for fun--I might as well capitalize on it.

I have no friggin' clue how I'm going to translate an internship on cycling and climate justice, a study abroad experience on maritime studies and sailing, a work experience mentoring engineering college students, and a work experience in outdoor leadership, into business/investing spaces.

One idea is to tie job ad words in the descriptions of the experiences in the resume. For instance, in SEA Semester I developed extraordinary discipline and a strong work ethic, in Climate Summer I developed clear communication skills in a small work environment, in my time with Adventure In Adventure Out I learned about leading team building workshops and persevering through a positive attitude, and through MOSTEC I learned about presenting difficult concepts simply and applying statistics to prove a point.

Thoughts? If anything, doing a summer internship in a business environment might let me know if this is something that's viable for a few years. I might have to go shopping for more nice clothes too. :roll:

----------------------------

In related news, in addition to social justice jobs, I now realize that I don't like science jobs. I get bored in the tiny details and think it's so irrelevant to my life. I also don't like the entertainment or journalism industries; interns are usually treated poorly, the work is fun so pay is low, and there's lots of influence from higher-ups in what is creatively produced.

I do like engineering and trade positions though, especially trades--they're so relatable, relevant, and concrete. Outdoor education work is fun too, though definitely as a supplement since it doesn't pay anything and is emotionally and physically exhausting. Academic administration in colleges is good too. I like the open communication available in colleges, and the ability to create systems that help students. Pay is okay, too.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Zalo wrote:One idea is to tie job ad words in the descriptions of the experiences in the resume. For instance, in SEA Semester I developed extraordinary discipline and a strong work ethic, in Climate Summer I developed clear communication skills in a small work environment, in my time with Adventure In Adventure Out I learned about leading team building workshops and persevering through a positive attitude, and through MOSTEC I learned about presenting difficult concepts simply and applying statistics to prove a point.
perfect. zalo just has to reframe everything this way.

"unemployed" -> "looking for new challenges"
"bored" -> "underchallenged"
"tourism" -> "learn about other cultures"
"drank beer and hooked up with locals" -> "leadership"
"sailed a boat" -> "high performance under extreme pressure"

zalo must not forget that hiring managers are humans, too. while zalo must not break any of their rules and still provide value to the company, hiring managers are interested in interesting humans. an interesting and qualified zalo might get their attention over a qualified but boring competitor.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Have you considered becoming a deckhand? Looks like you have related experiences and liked them, it's not an office job, doesn't require nice clothes, your COL is zero while you're on board the boat, then you get long stretches of down time to take a canoe trip, or whatever. Unless something unexpectedly awesomer happens, my next job is as a deckhand.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@Kriegsspiel, I am aware of deckhand positions, and no I am not considering them at the moment--perhaps after FI. They do not pay much at all and come at a huge time opportunity cost in the early accumulation phase. This is the time for me to strategically position myself for a wealthy and freedom-ful lifetime. A high income in an industry I like for a few years is critical for this move. After or near FI, I will then have the monetary freedom to develop other qualities of my life, such as long-term travelling and adventure.

------------------------------

I've been researching the resume/cover letter, interview process, and other career preparation literature. I must admit, this is kind of fun! I't's like going to battle (for profit, and ultimately my life goals)! Preparing the right equipment (clothes), weapons (resume, CL, silver tongue), support (LinkedIn, Connections), mind set (positive, determined), skills (quantitative, qualitative, concrete), and experience (internships, summer jobs).

This whole process reminds of the Cubicle Quest game. :D

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Excellent news! Today I talked to a compassionate, experienced, and well-connected staff person at the career center! It was really exciting and offered lots of clarity. We went over the ~9 different sectors of business - private equity, hedge funds, commercial banking, financial planning, insurance, investment banking, asset management, and a few others. She suggested that the best fit for my INFP - ENFJ personality and skill set is in 1. financial planning, 2. asset management, or 3. insurance.

Of the three, I'm definitely most inclined to financial planning and asset management. I'll be applying to fancy financial planning places and asset management places, buy side (less fancy clothes, yay)! How exciting! Who would've thought, a potential career path that pays well, uses my NF skills, and that I would likely enjoy.

At the moment I've made it a new goal to begin working on the CFP designation.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hurray! Zalo gets offered three interviews! Two with fancy consulting firms and one with an asset management firm.<3

Onward to purchasing the fancy suit today! And prepping for the interviews--and more apps!!

GandK

Post by GandK »

Congratulations!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, good for you!

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

The results for the fancy wear are in:

Total Cost: $840 at Men's Warehouse (Yikes! But I needed it now and I wanted nice, tailored things for years to come)

What I got:

1. Slim and Tailored 100% Wool Charcoal Grey Suit & Pants ($650 suit for $400)
2. Brown Leather Plain Dress Shoes ($145, Woah didn't know shoes can be that $)
3. 3 Black Dress Socks ($20)
4. 2 Fitted, no-iron, high-quality shirts (one white, one blue, $135)
5. 2 Slim plain ties (one black, one light blue, $45)
6. A Brown, 100% leather belt to match the shoes ($40)
7. Alterations ($49)
------------------------

It does feel weird to spend so much on clothing, but I do think that this suit is indeed an investment for a much higher income. Thoughts? I'm sure I could've met the need of a nice suit to wear using much less cash, but it is what it is.

llorona

Post by llorona »

If you feel good wearing the suit and it's high quality/durable, I would call it a reasonable investment. Good luck with the interviews!

P.S. You were smart to get it tailored. Even a very expensive suit can look cheap if the fit isn't right.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

4 interviews done! Now I wait. So far I know I'm not moving forward with 1 of the 4--c'mon other three!

I also was gifted a free high quality overcoat that someone left in the career center years ago. Score.

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

I have to say that I was shocked by how much good quality formal shoes could cost as well. My first attempt at a 'BIFL' pair came in at £160 (around $210). I'm currently alternating them with throwaway pairs of cheap leather shoes that cost £15 or so and only last 6 months, the difference is palpable!

Can you have them resoled if needed?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Some more interviews lined up. I've broadened my career search to HR too, and Education Administration. Getting better at using the alumni network and at interviewing.

I've had some clarity in a few things recently. Long term, I value the time to myself afforded by foregoing children, getting married, or having any pets. I also value the flexibility of foregoing buying and owning a house or car. I want to focus on playing the career game until I am at least bare bones FI at 200k. I'll be starting out with 40k, so this shouldn't take more than a few years. Ideally I'd keep playing until 300-500k. I'll have more clarity if corporate is for me after a summer internship, at least I'd get paid a "real" wage. So far I'm enjoying business trainings and topics, and even meetings. Vagabonding around the world sounds fun after that. Full time adventuring is what gives me meaning, especially with partners.

Speaking of partners, relationship wise, I have been fairly frustrated recently. Being pansexual, kinky, and polyamorous means I can basically form an emotional connection or want sex with more people than most, but at the same time it means my chance of finding compatible people is, what, 1% of the population? I also need to work on pace. Many people seem to be frightened by any potential emotional or physical connection during a date, whereas I'm simply curious to explore where the connection might go throughout the night and beyond, and to nudge at comfort zones consensually. (:

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

ACADEMICS

I decided to get all A's in my classes this semester, and I did! Yay! My GPA is now a 3.7/4.0. Perfect to avoid having my resume dropped.

-------------------------------

SUMMER PLANS

Summer Plans have also solidified, hurrah! The verdict: $ work $. I feel like a real millennial patching all this together.

May 15 - May 30

Campus Center Manager, Communications Office, Alumni Office, Facilities

(40 hours total x 2 weeks x $10 + Y tips = $800-$1000)

June 1 - Aug 6

Amherst Chamber of Commerce + Campus Center Manager, Bicycle Share Manager/Mechanic, Annual Fund Fundraising Staff

($3500 stipend + (11 weeks x $10 x ~20 hours = $2200)) = $5700

Aug 6 - Sep 1

Campus Center Manager, Bicycle Share Manager/Mechanic, Misc jobs

(4 weeks x $10 x 20 hours = $800)

----------------------------

NET WORTH

Total expected Income: $7500
Expenses: About $1500 for rent & food (Could be only $200-300 w/o rent, I might consider camping at my friends homestead)

This would put me at $24421 + 6,000 = $30,421

Yay! That's about 6% of my 500k goal! :lol:

--------------------------

CAREER ADVANCEMENT

I'll be shadowing two financial advisers in the area, completing Harvard Business School's CORe program, and networking with AC alumni in asset management and financial planning firms in (ideally) low-cost, progressive cities.

--------------------------

RELATIONSHIPS & ADVENTURE

i've had the pleasure to enjoy the company of 3 loving polyamours and have been able to go on many (free for me) micro-adventures, like rafting, zip-lining, and caving. Tap dancing my way through life and all that!

ether

Post by ether »

Congrats on the shadowing and job opportunities!

Our lives are weirdly similar: I'm also a college student that is about to start working in financial advising industry (except not as an advisor but in IT for a megafirm)

You should check out "advisorheads" to learn more about the culture of being an advisor, it was very eye opening!

daylen

Post by daylen »

Just read your journal. Looks like we will graduate at the same time. It will be interesting to see how you and I progress towards own financial independence goals. I will probably start my journal next year when I am actually making money. :P

Good luck!

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

daylen wrote:Just read your journal. Looks like we will graduate at the same time. It will be interesting to see how you and I progress towards own financial independence goals. I will probably start my journal next year when I am actually making money. :P

Good luck!
Bring it on daylen! :D :P

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Arbitrary Update on 22 June 2016, I'll likely do these every year I suppose. So much for the J of my Myerrs Briggs!

Stage: College 4th Year
Net worth: 28k, all in VTSAX minus 3k 6 month buffer
Disposition: Excited yet pensive

Alright, here's the deal. Working at an office sucks. And, further, I think it's meant to suck. It seems physically and emotionally difficult for humans who have, for millions of years, been living in outdoor varied conditions, to sit for 8 hours a day and do repetitive levels of paperwork, management, etc. I don't like it, but capitalism likes it and will pay me accordingly.

This brings to light the question: are all jobs simply things to be okay with and merely save money from, or is there a token percentage that actually pay above 50k and are enjoyable and varied. If so, I'd like to know what they are so I can target them in the recruiting season next fall; I'm not sure I can handle 40-60 hour weeks in an office without losing part of my soul for the accumulation years (which would still be OK in the long run, I admit).

Anyway, I've been working on more potential adventure stuff, namely planning. Reading books by Allistair Humphrey, Leon McCar, Ray Jardin, etc. In particular, I am having some challenge processing the fact that I would be exposing myself to nasties such as lyme disease, giardia, broken limbs, and even death. While I think I'm more comfortable with death than disability, it is still something that concerns me at least in part. Honestly though, I want my goals to be worth DYING for, as much as that is certainly not the intent, haha.

I've also been thinking of my body as, well, not "mine." It is simply "a" body, which I am using...currently...to do my bidding. This helps me think of it as both a precious thing to be well maintained/developed, and a temporary and fleeting thing. Both useful ideas to keep in mind. Hopefully it also helps me come to terms with the potential for disease, dismemberment, nausea, death, and other nice things.

Of note, many of the so-called professional adventurers above all had or have problems with money. Saving up a nice buffered net worth will allow me to do many things they cannot; allow me opportunities they do not have access to. I'd like to develop a nice acumen to be able to join them and even be a world renown adventurer over my lifetime, though perhaps the actual intent is simply to follow what calling ails me; the fame and renown would only be secondary. The immediate goal would also be to not die early in the process, heh. I'd again like to combine it with climate justice so it leaves some meaningful impact in the world. Hopefully by then I'll have some other person updating my now non-existent facebook profile :lol:

Of further note, I'll be taking photography, french, and other relevant classes next semester--should be good. I might also try planning all this adventure stuff out in more detail. The problem seems to lie on how to make the next 5 years of my life "not suck" while saving enough to full-time adventure after that. Still on the lookout for the varied, interesting, and above 50k/yr job; please help me identify it if you like, I can probably get it if it's white collar-ish with my college's network.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

If you want an office salary, but hate offices, look for a position where you can work remotely/work from home a lot. IT specifically. It helps tremendously when you have simply had enough of a sterile office environment. IT work also pays big bucks. You could also try to get into contracting work. There is a ton of 'work from home' stuff that pays 6 figures. I have a friend who does that. He work 100% remote. Takes 2 months of summer and goes to Spain while working too. From the beach.

FWIW, the more time you spend in an office, the faster your days go*. I remember back when I was an intern, having to suddenly spend 8 hours sitting....doing nothing....it was torture. Eventually I figured out to just do my own thing, as the org I work for is a lot of hurry up and wait. These days, time just flies. I get to the office at 7 each morning and before I know it I'm nibbling lunch at 11 and leaving at 3. Could be because I have more to do.

*I'm not sure if this is good or bad...