Suggestions for [action]-pictures for newspaper article

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Suggestions for [action]-pictures for newspaper article

Post by jacob »

I need to take some pictures of my "lifestyle" for a newspaper article.

Because I've almost forgotten what "normal" looks and thinks like, I'd like some suggestions of what normal(*) people would find interesting in terms of differences to the standard consumer lifestyle.

(*) Insofar they're reading the "lifestyle and culture" section of the paper, that is :geek:

What I find challenging is that I get the impression that people expect big differences in the macro sense, e.g. a complete outfitted workshop, whereas in reality the devil is mostly in the details. For example, not counting books and DVDs there are less than 10 items in our living room that we paid for and less than 5 that we paid retail for. But that's hard to show on a picture.

Ideas so far:
Contents of fridge and pantry
Pouring mead into a bucket
The downsizing system with stuff to go
Doing the dishes w/o a dishwashing machine
Mowing lawn with a push mower
Rooting the bathtub

Looking for suggestions.

PS: In case you're 5 years behind the curve, note that we live in a house now, not an RV or an apartment.

FBeyer

Re: Suggestions for [action]-pictures for newspaper article

Post by FBeyer »

Stupid question: Why do you need/want images that portray your lifestyle as different?

Riding a bicycle should do the trick, unless it's for the Danish newspaper again, in which case... well, you know.

The trick, I guess, is that you want to show (in images) what you DON'T own/do/pay for. That's a VERY interesting problem to have. That particular message only really goes over well if you live a very minimalist lifestyle like F. Jay for instance. The entire contents of her bedroom look like:

Neither my brother-in-law nor his GF own a car, so their carport (no garage) holds two cruiser bicycles rather than two cars. The imagery is actually quite telling: The people who live here don't make room for a car where one "SHOULD" be.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Where's that pic of you and the rake? ;)

I'd rather see pics of how normal your life is. If I were you, I'd want to show the quality of the stuff you do own to make the point that it's about being selective and resourceful, not cheap. Maybe also a contrasting picture of something of quality with something that was free to show how well it can blend together? Or show the harmony that can be achieved combining DIY with good craftsmanship or prized tools, like hand-washing a nice pot or dish, or a decent laptop on a homemade desk, or nice garden shots that mention that you save or swap the seeds, etc.

Personally, I'd also like to see the results of combined efforts with others whether through swaps or group projects. I think the social aspect is important yet lacking for many of us. (maybe that's not true of Europeans?) A pic of you enjoying something you received from someone else might get that point across.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's for a Danish newspaper again (I'm getting my 15 minutes of fame, all at once :o ).

Good suggestions so far. Keep'em coming. It's already much better than my list so far.

Here's a picture of a dork and a rake. It somehow works :-P

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

How do you want the readers to perceive you or ERE in general?

If you want to look smart and serious, show yourself reading one of your favorite esoteric books - and be sure to furrow your brow so that the readers see you are really thinking deeply about the subject. If you want a do-whatever-you-want fun vibe, try lounging around in casual clothes or pajamas with a glass of mead in the middle of the day. Or how about you watching the rush hour traffic report on TV, pointing and laughing. :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

maybe a picture of jacob's normal room, but overlaid is information about why it's not normal? like "dinner table - dumpster dived behind IKEA", and "electronic coffee grinder - old lady died and left this to jacob".

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Maybe it is better to figure out what you'd like to show of your life and give them moments or things that are important to you - rather than trying to accommodate what you think 'normal' people would find interesting. By doing the latter you run the risk of turning yourself into a freak show.

So pictures of the favourite corners of your house and garden and you doing everyday stuff you enjoy like sitting at the computer, using walking as a means of transportation, cooking ... or whatever makes you happy doing.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Cooking lentils.
Biking with a backpack or panniers.
Hanging laundry.
Weeding your lentil patch.
Polishing one of your unusual BIFL items.
Planing or hand drilling a piece of reclaimed wood.
Arms spread Christlike in your empty garage (nobody has an empty garage in America!)
Riding public transportation

Try to express the idea that you are interested in both the fine details and the big picture. Focus up close on some specific task like patching a bike inner tube or weeding your lentil patch and then, very important!, show the fruits of that focus, ie, feet up in the garden reading a dense library book with a glass of homemade lemonade.

Lots of color!
Big smiles!
Expansive postures!

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Cooking, definitely Jacob cooking something. It humanizes you and is a familiar theme for readers.

And everything else Ego wrote, LOL!

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Why not a picture of your library card and your public transit card. Plus you and your bicycle. Maybe you and one of your renovation projects (you bought a fixer-upper I believe). Perhaps, you living a normal life?

Plus, and most importantly, a picture of you and your wife to show that you are not some crazy loner with some crazy ideas.

sky

Post by sky »

Show them that you are fabulously wealthy by throwing handfuls of lentils in the air.

Ego

Post by Ego »

You've gotta do a cold shower photo.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

shower pics ... expansive postures ... what kind of publication is this??

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

jennypenny wrote:shower pics ... expansive postures ... what kind of publication is this??
It's Danish! :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

I just assumed Jacob was shooting for the centerfold. He could post a few head shots and we'll photoshop the rest.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Sitting in your favorite chair, dog on your lap, wife by your side.
Normal lives in terms of emotions, different in terms of possessions.

How about a budget that says:
years before I have to go to work again: 101.3
:lol:

Chris

Post by Chris »

Watch some hip hop videos for inspiration.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I agree with the idea that your pictures should make things look normal and familiar. A simple picture of your house from the street would be good, or maybe with you standing sitting on the front step.

But you definitely need to have at least one of the dog sitting somewhere. :D

Did

Post by Did »

The Mr MM bike shot looks healthy and free. But the point you always make is that ERE is not a weird life of deprivation so a happy shot at home with the family would be perfectly appropriate.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

sky wrote:Show them that you are fabulously wealthy by throwing handfuls of lentils in the air.
:lol: Lentils always seem to provoke unnecessary knee jerk reactions, probably best to avoid mentioning those... Also wasting lentils is technically against the ERE ethos...

+1 for road bike/commuting shot. go for something sexy...

Also, now is a good time to follow through and get that tattoo of your net worth on your forehead, that was an ERE blog post, right? or did I make that up. :D