My form of retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
1Vikinggirl

My form of retirement

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Hi all ERE-colleagues,

I want to bring you a few lines as an update to my "Going, going - gone" posts 2011-2013.

The ERE-target is reached!

The house is cleared, cleaned, sold, handed over and all money is in my possession (I'll tax the profit next year so I have to remind myself it isn't completely over yet.)

However, I am now financially independent at 46 under the following conditions:
- annual costs do not exceed what students are expected to live on (my form of extreme)
- 30 years, 4 % interest on investments (my form of financial security)
A combination of state, company and private pension systems will start paying out at 65 but this it is not included.
- I stay healthy.

So, next phase kicks in. My form of retirement.

I bought cheaply a little apartment as a summer house (or bug-out-place) for financial security, holidays and for visiting friends and family. It is very tiny but fully functional. The legal address also provides ease for the next years flexible life style.

I work nicely with a good boss four days a week; no overtime, no travel time and no dress code. The work is location free (online but an office is rented for me). I leave around 4 every day and each weekend has three days. I travel to clients about once a month and I keep my qualifications. Income is nice. I will work a few years more, as long as it is pleasant.

Currently I spend most of my time in one of the worlds nicest cities. I live in my partners rent capped, small but safe accommodations sharing all expenses. We count costs every month and after almost a full year we know how much we spend. This is completely within my budget. We pay private expenditures (things that are not shared such as clothes, equipment, special hygiene, medicine or individual excursions) separately. We don't have a shared economy in order to protect each persons money. We usually vacation with a tent but instead we vacation a lot.

I study part-time (free online university). The subject takes my hobby to a new level but it is completely beyond any thoughts of work or career. However, I like to finish things so I'll graduate properly next year with another bachelor degree. I also learn a new language and try to keep the others up to date. I will continue to follow my local football team and I stay close to friends and family.

Maybe I'll add something onto that list in 2016 but right now this is my form of retirement.

What do you do in your form of retirement?

lazyboy

Re: My form of retirement

Post by lazyboy »

Wow congratulations Vikinggirl!
Sounds like you really found your way.
Even your work occurs worthwhile, may I ask what it is?

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Update - seven months after FI.

I really should update more often, especially as I love reading the thoughts of all participants in this forum.

However, since I hit FI seven months ago, very little has changed since my first post. The only change is how I calculate my FI. I used to include all retirement funds, also those locked until my 65th year. However with the fluctuations in the stock market and the fact that I can do very little about their value, I have taken them out of the calculation. All for safety, my FI is still around 30 years.

What do I then do with my financial independance? I work with a nice online project that that I am really fascinated by. It sometimes frustrating but then hey, I am FI, so I can eather sort the problems out or walk away. Because of the lovely people I work with, I am still there. (It is an international legal compliance project).
Primarily I live, read, sew, travel and learn a lot of new things. There is also a sofa to care for and walks to take. I count my money and I just enjoy myself. Nothing big really, no largeer spending, just a quite nice and happy life.

And my point, and the reason why I wanted to update, is this: I started the ERE in 20O8 from an already quite frugal lifestyle. All debts were paid off by 2010 and I hit FI in 2014. 2015 my lifestyle is very different and something that was completely unbelievably unimaginable in 2008 and even in 2010. But, you knew what? Jacob is right, you can do it in five years.

Linnie

Post by Linnie »

So nice to hear this! I wish I had found Jacob earlier; I could have been done by now! At least my kids will have this knowledge - hopefully they are not too ensconced in their present lifestyles to be open to these possibilities. They are about to see some big changes in the way we do things around here!
Congratulations!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

1Vikinggirl wrote:But, you knew what? Jacob is right, you can do it in five years.
Not me. The math!

http://radicalpersonalfinance.com/163-t ... etirement/

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

@jacob Pedanter. But Ok,
EDIT: "Math is right, you can do it in five years."

@linnie You can do it too, "just" cut costs, save and invest. Keep it up!

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

UPDATE -
I am trying to count how long I have been FI. If it was seven months in March 2015, it is now a year and ten months.

In the time I have learned that I probably will never stop working. Not completely. Although I am out of the work identity stress (and this was for me the hardest part-project in this entire process), I like doing my new job, I enjoy the 8-4 workday and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me. My clients say please and thank you and truly appreciate my work. I admit, I really get pleasure from their progress. However, the company is now owned by another company, very different and much more serious than we have been so ask me again in a year how I like it. As long as they do not touch my 'working from home in another country' set-up, I might still be around. I only work four days a week anyway and no overtime, but since costs are kept down I still only spend half. (Or saving one Jacob a month as I see the new terminology is.)

The man is not FI yet, but he is better at investments than I am, so he is advancing quickly. He is also better at not working than I am. But he has to keep at it for a while longer, causing the inevitable stress of new project and clients but also an inevitable feeling of change that I like.

I finished my hobby-project, a Bachelor in History, in 2015 and I have done the first year of the masters course by now. I like teaching but I am not going into academia. Probably heading towards 'write a book' if I don't use the idea for the thesis (or both). I like reading and thinking (probably my favourite thing in the world to do) and part-time online studies suits me well.

The man has been thoroughly corrupted by all this intellectualism and he has in the last year become extremely well read in one very specific area. There are a few topical overlaps to my historical topic and our discussions are sky-high.
Perhaps better said, down under ground. After MUCH planning and discussions, we have for the summer volunteered at an archaeology project in his topical country, in almost my topical time and covering both of our subjects. We leave in a month and the amount of daily knee exercises is steadily increasing.

Volunteering for archaeology combines our love of books with hiking and camping and (sorry to all professionals out there) is best done with a stable FI to lean on. If we like it, it might be our new thing. (Note that we are both European and have already travelled to and lived around the word besides speaking 3-4 languages each. We also live rent-controlled in one of the most beautiful capitals of the world, where millions of tourists go every year. (no, not that one; the other one with water and flowers) Moving permanently is not an alternativ, but we love to go to places.)

Now, what was the purpose of this update? Right...
I see so many plans in this forum, so many wonderful adventures in preparation. Some really happen and it is wonderful to follow people through the five-six years I have been a ERE reader.
It is also equally important to remember that FI is about security to do whatever you want, to be able to choose, even if that is to do what you already are doing.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Thank you very much for that. I appreciate the thought of coming back to share what it feels like on the other side.

cbroenning

Post by cbroenning »

Very inspiring! Thanks a lot for that. Hope your man gets to join you soon :)

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Remember, it only takes five years!
Det er ikke så lang tid

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Great post. Don't be a stranger, now. ;)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

1Vikinggirl wrote:Remember, it only takes five years!
Det er ikke så lang tid
http://www.valiantgrowth.com/e29/ ... just listened to this today.

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Philip Frey

Post by Philip Frey »

jacob wrote:
1Vikinggirl wrote:Remember, it only takes five years!
Det er ikke så lang tid
http://www.valiantgrowth.com/e29/ ... just listened to this today.
Wow, that was fast, are you in fact a Super-AI mindmelded with the Internet?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Getting close :P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

He has a funny machine in his basement that I'm not permitted to speak about publicly. :lol:

Dave

Post by Dave »

Thank you for sharing your journey, 1Vikinggirl. I hope you continue to share as time goes on!

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Update -
I have now had a financial independence number above 30 every month since August 2016 (annual budget divided with total assets not including house value or pension rights).
The value is increasing without much effort. A little money makes a little money from interests and dividends but a lot of money makes a lot more. Saving is a lifestyle by now and spending requires value for money.

The money however is no comfort when struggling with my own health issues as well as family deaths and dementia. But it is most certainly not a discomfort. I retired 20% in 2013 and am considering more in 2017 but it will all depend on how managers and leaders handle upcoming changes in my work situation. (It is an odd one so a FI number above 30 gives a lot of security.)

Studies continue on Master-level and I am enjoying the intellectualism. The man is a stable and stabilising factor in my life. He is less wild in his planning than I am. With his own FI-number increasing however, daydreaming is increasing.
Life has calmed down. Fewer or no financial worries.
Thanks Jacob for ERE!

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Health and time are things you can't control. Having faced some health challenges this year made me realize that anybody can get an illness. It's also been good in the sense that I now know I was on the right path. Having not to worry about finances is good, as worrying is not good while recovering.

Good to see the studies work for you.Best of luck with the health issues, hope you get well soon.

1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Thank you Cornerman!

We took our physical jobs, put them on-line and moved to Lisbon, Portugal for the month of February 2017.

Almost doubled our expenses for one month but kept the income so all well. And the Portuguese people, food and winter weather is amazing.
onevikinggirl.blogspot.com