What Auto Insurance Coverage and Limits Do You Have?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Gilberto de Piento

What Auto Insurance Coverage and Limits Do You Have?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

What coverage and limits do you have for your car insurance? I recently realized I have more coverage with my current auto insurance company than any other company will provide.

When I get quotes from other companies the limits shown below are not even an option. The other companies offer much lower limits. I don't want to be caught with not enough insurance if there is an accident but I also don't want to have more insurance and pay more than is needed (and my current insurance is much more than the quotes I'm getting).

I have:
Liability Coverage
- Bodily injury limits $500,000 each person, $500,000 each accident
- Property damage limit $50,000 each accident
Medical Payments Coverage
- $25,000 each person
Car Rental and Travel Expenses
- 80% each day up to $500
Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage
- Bodily injury limits $250,000 each person, $500,000 each accident
Underinsured Motor Vehicle Coverage
- Bodily injury limits $250,000 each person, $500,000 each accident

IlliniDave

Re: What Auto Insurance Coverage and Limits Do You Have?

Post by IlliniDave »

I have liability only. I don't know the limits except they exceed the minimum requirement for the state, and are set to dovetail with my umbrella policy. The umbrella is $1M.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I do something similar to ID. I believe the underlying coverages are $300K/$300K, but they are designed to mesh with the umbrella.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

+2 We carry just enough liability on the auto policy to qualify for umbrella insurance. Ask your current agent to price out lower auto + umbrella. It might be cheaper. It's usually ends up being better coverage for the same money.

Gilberto de Piento

On a $5000 car does it make any sense to have comprehensive and collision at $190 every six months? These cover the car if damaged or destroyed. I could easily pay cash for another similar car, though it would suck to eat that cost.

Over the past 13 years I've paid $103 x 2 x 13 = $2678 for comp and collision. Even though I had one minor collision during that time I never made a claim because I was told that making a claim would make my insurance rates go up significantly. I was only able to sell my earlier car for $1200 so I definitely shouldn't have had comp and collision on that one but the new car is worth about $5000.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:On a $5000 car does it make any sense to have comprehensive and collision at $190 every six months? These cover the car if damaged or destroyed. I could easily pay cash for another similar car, though it would suck to eat that cost.

Over the past 13 years I've paid $103 x 2 x 13 = $2678 for comp and collision. Even though I had one minor collision during that time I never made a claim because I was told that making a claim would make my insurance rates go up significantly. I was only able to sell my earlier car for $1200 so I definitely shouldn't have had comp and collision on that one but the new car is worth about $5000.
No, absolutely not. C&C almost never makes economic sense for the consumer -- that's why insurance companies push them. Yes, I am aware of exceptions, but they usually fall into business use categories.

My view is that if you cannot replace the vehicle by writing a check or tap an emergency fund, you are driving a vehicle that is essentially too expensive for you to own.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I made some calculations not too long ago. I owned four cars prior to the one I have now. If I had totally crashed every one of them instead of selling them in more or less decent condition, it still wouldn't have been worth having comprehensive cover on any of them:)

Gilberto de Piento

I cancelled the comp and collision as well as towing and rental car coverage today. I didn't know I was paying for any of it (my fault for not reading the bill carefully). Read your bill and policy!