Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by jacob »

@cmonkey - Insanity Asylum ... and maybe P90X to compare.

@FBeyer - Maybe your dreams or nightmares are more interesting than mine ;) :?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

:lol: I'll take your blame.

Before I became a devoted follower of the Church of Shaun T, I started with Tony Horton. I've done P90x, P90X2 and P90X3. Totally different workout than insanity, obviously. It is much more strength focused, especially on the upper body. With P90X and P90X2 you'll be able to do a ridiculous amount of pushups and pull ups, though your cardiovascular level will decrease. I didn't find P90x3 challenging at all. Like Max 30, it was shrunk down to about 30 minutes and wasn't very challenging, at least for me. P90X2 requires more equipment, so I'd probably just recommend P90x.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Jacob said: It seems reasonable that it should take about as much work/time to take the weight off as it took to put it on. That is, if one overeats by 200kcal/day (gaining 20 pounds of weight per year) and under-moves by 100kcal/day (a 20 minute walk) (gaining 10 pounds of weight per year), then much like financial debt, that needs to be paid back using proportionate response such as under-eating 100kcal/day and over-moving by 200kcal/day. This would then take off 30 pounds over a year. This also means that it would take a decade to lose 300 pounds. That certainly wouldn't make for good TV but it seems like a reasonable time frame.
I think a faster, yet still moderate, approach could work. A 300 lb. person, unless completely sedentary, is already doing a good deal of strength training just hauling his own body around throughout the day. I would figure out what he would weigh if his muscle mass was a reasonable percentage of body mass, and lower his calories to that level. Then I would have him start on a program of daily moderate exercise towards total calories burned equaling his new dietary intake level. So, if new calorie level was 2400 per day, then goal might be steady improvement towards ability to hike 24 miles in one day. In terms of debt analogy, which I think is rather apt, my own personal calculation is that every lb. of fat I wish to lose is the equivalent of 10 hours work because walking 1 mile burns about 100 kcals and a moderate pace is about 3.5 miles/hr. If I can earn $20/hr at the margin then each lb. is the equivalent of $200 debt, so being 100 lbs. overweight would be the equivalent of having $20,000 in debt. If somebody who already had money wished to prioritize weight loss, they could simply quit their job and start walking for 8 hours/day. That's kind of what I did to finally get my post-baby weight off, but 100 lbs might be more daunting.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

After more or less abandoning the church of Troy Jacobson ("If you're gonna puke, puke to your right"/"You'll pass out before you die"), I think I've gonna stick with the church of Shaun T ("Dig deeper"/"You're not gonna die") for another few months. I'll try out the church of Tony Horton after building a pull-up rack out of 2x4s using kreg and mortise and tenon joinery. This would also be required for #asylum.

If anyone has some P90X DVDs they want to swap, let me know?!

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

jacob wrote: A lot of the sets are diminishing triangles (I'm sure there's a technical term for this) in which the next set is an easier exercise e.g. one goes from narrow to wide plyo pushups to narrow plyo to narrow to knees down narrow/wide to knees down slow to knees down holds.
Sounds similar in concept to drop sets.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes, that's what it is.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

jacob wrote:@cmonkey - Insanity Asylum ... and maybe P90X to compare.

@FBeyer - Maybe your dreams or nightmares are more interesting than mine ;) :?
I'd trade some boring dreams for a functioning shoulder right about now.
Stressed the f... out and not exercising sucks.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Does anyone use minimalist gloves when lifting like these? https://rawwgear.com/buy/barehand-gloves/

I need gloves but I don't like regular gloves. I tried making them but they fell apart because I cut away too much of the glove and there wasn't enough left to hold it together. I don't want to tape (even though I like it) because it feels wasteful to throw away the tape every day.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I am really excited! Just finished my home gym, and I am very pleased with it. I though I would share with you guys.

Equipment:
  • Pull-up + dip station
  • Lots of resistance bands (flat and corded with handles)
  • Stationary bike (wanted one for a while now since the weather is often bad for running in the mid-west)
  • Exercise ball
  • Two hand grip exercisers (out grew first one)
  • Footbag (hand-foot-eye coordination)
The resistance bands are awesome. I use them to add resistance to my pull-ups, dips, and push-ups mainly. I got the stationary bike a week ago, and I have rode 5 miles nearly everyday. Great workout to wake me up in the morning while watching youtube videos.

DeanPeacock

Post by DeanPeacock »

How do you find gymnastics in a swimingpool?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

What are those mounts for using a bike inside called? My google-fu is failing me.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@jp - Trainer or rollers. Trainers come with different kinds of resistance, friction, magnetic, fluid, ...

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

and rollers can DIY'd, out of... rolling pins. :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote:Jenny, no rollers for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1cuVRRRzM
For once, we are in complete agreement. :lol:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Article on Dara Torres from 2012. It's all interesting, but what jumped out at me was this (emphasis mine) ...

She considers O’Brien her upper-body trainer. Knowles is the lower-body guy. The two have brainstormed to develop odd-looking exercises designed to cater to more than her physique. They say they also want to work out her brain. They believe neurological stimulation will help elevate hormone production. For that reason, she does nothing as simple as a biceps curl; involved, complex exercises, they contend, keep the mind active.

Ted Carrick, a chiropractic neurologist who worked with NHL star Sidney Crosby, videotaped Torres’s eye movements and determined that her eyes responded slowly to moving patterns. Her inability to focus efficiently, she was told, was essentially expending energy and making her tired.

Carrick sent her home with exercises designed to eliminate gaps in her perception. Since then, three times a day, she follows a red dot as it moves in a pattern across a screen.

Does that sound right? That would mean 'old school' exercises might not be doing enough. It also made me think that sports like tennis, or even cycling, were better overall workouts than something like running for the post-fertile crowd, as 7W5 would call us. I like simple and targeted, but maybe that's not enough? I have to look into this a little more. I always knew that brain games were good for keeping the mind fit. I guess I never thought about combining activities for a whole-body workout.

I'm sure you guys already know this. You're always way ahead of me on this kind of stuff.

---------

In other news, I'm running again. I feel GREAT. I'm trying to limit the running to avoid breaking frankenleg again, so I'm doing a 3-day rotation of hills/suicides, run, walk/cycle. I also build walk breaks into the runs so I can check in with myself to see how I'm feeling and watch my heart rate. I'm sticking to the time-restricted eating. I have a coffee pre-workout and one meal at lunchtime. I have tea before 3pm, and then nothing but water until the next day. My lab work hasn't budged much* but I can tell by the smell of my sweat and saliva that I'm detoxing a little. My treatments end next month, and then I have a full work-up scheduled in late September, so I'll know by then if the IF is affecting my blood work.

*My glucose and cholesterol have dropped, but they were pretty low anyway. My blood pressure, which has always been low, shocks every nurse who takes it. Half of them retake it because they can't believe I'm wide awake with pressure that low. OTOH, my anemia isn't improving as hoped, and one meal a day might be contributing to that. The anemia is bad enough that my heart rate is elevated and I have to wear a heart monitor, especially when exercising. It (the anemia) also makes me stupid and forces me to leave notes for myself everywhere which my family finds quite amusing.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Interesting short video from VOX that came in this morning's Roll Call The science is in: Exercise isn’t the best way to lose weight

Health is really three parts ... diet, exercise, and avoiding being sedentary. I suppose you could add a fourth to include avoiding destructive and risky behaviors.

I was at the doctor yesterday and the NP came in at the end to give me my new prescriptions. She reminded me to work on hydration and suggested I drink lots of gatorade. :roll: Why are health professionals still recommending that junk? I drink water and eat salted melon to combat dehydration. There are lots of healthier and more effective alternatives than gatorade.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I have a cycling question. (I tried googling it, but I'm not sure I'm using the right terms.) In running, there is an optimal step count/minute regardless of how fast a person is running. Is there something similar in cycling? Is there a certain pace I should be aiming for on a nice long ride?

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:I have a cycling question. (I tried googling it, but I'm not sure I'm using the right terms.) In running, there is an optimal step count/minute regardless of how fast a person is running. Is there something similar in cycling? Is there a certain pace I should be aiming for on a nice long ride?
Can of worms. :D

Revolutions per minute of the pedals is known in cycling as 'cadence'. Everyone has an opinion. I do better with an easier gear and higher cadence.

Here is a pretty good overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jh-5TYAtJI

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I thought that guy was just riding his bike on the treadmill until he stopped pedaling. :lol:

Thanks for the link. I asked because I keep drifting back to my running cadence. and I wondered if that was best or just habit. I guess I'll play around with it.

I had to laugh at 177 bpm. I think my heart rate monitor would automatically dial 911 if my heart rate was that high for more than 30 seconds lol.