NYC Meetup #10

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
BeyondtheWrap

NYC Meetup #10

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

The weather's getting warmer, and it's been half a year since the last meetup, so I think it's time for another one.

Any takers?

Chris

Re: NYC Meetup #10

Post by Chris »

I'd be up for something in May/June.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I would love to meet up if the date/time would be conducive to my crazy schedule.

trfie

Post by trfie »

I would like to make a trip to NYC, would be up for a meetup.

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

What do you usually talk about during the meetup? Would it be okay if I bring cooperative board games to play?

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I made a Doodle poll. Please indicate your availability: http://doodle.com/poll/g7xgbyif7rxt2qfu
fuyu wrote:What do you usually talk about during the meetup? Would it be okay if I bring cooperative board games to play?
Typically, those of us who don't already know each other get to know each other, and we start talking about ERE-related topics but end up talking about any topic that comes up.

There has been at least one meetup in the past where we played a board game, so it is definitely acceptable. However, the choice of activity definitely impacts the choice of location.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Chris wrote:I'd be up for something in May/June.
Still waiting for your vote in the Doodle poll... http://doodle.com/poll/g7xgbyif7rxt2qfu

EDIT: Thanks Chris!

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Looks like we have a consensus! Saturday, June 4 will be the day.

bradley

Post by bradley »

Great! Looking forward to it!

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

Would Cafe 45 be a good place to meet or 575 Fifth Avenue? http://apops.mas.org/pops/549/

I was going to suggest Sony Atrium before, but not sure if any of the stores next to it are still open.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

fuyu wrote:Would Cafe 45 be a good place to meet or 575 Fifth Avenue? http://apops.mas.org/pops/549/

I was going to suggest Sony Atrium before, but not sure if any of the stores next to it are still open.
Have you been to Cafe 45? I'm looking at the website and not finding much about what kind of place it is. Is it a restaurant where we would be expected to buy something?

575 Fifth Avenue is similar to a venue where we've had a few past meetups. Good for playing board games.

Assuming the weather will be nice, I'm thinking we should use an outdoor location. I was going to suggest Herald Square. (Yes, there are tables there.)

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

I go to Cafe 45 once a week to play board games =). Its not a restaurant. I usually buy a cookie or a small item when I'm there. They have a second floor that's usually empty.

I have no preference to the location though.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Possible rain this Saturday. Let's wait until a few days before when the weather is more certain to decide on the venue.

Let's talk about start times.

I will have to leave the meetup early at ~2:30 pm to attend class, but the rest of you can stay as long as you like. So I would prefer to start the meetup no later than 1:00 pm, possibly as early as 11:00 am.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I can get to GCT around 12:30.

For now, looks like Saturday is getting a pass on the rain, so I vote for outside.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

OK, we are two days away from the meetup now, so I will take the liberty of setting the details.

The meetup will be at Herald Square (Broadway between 32-34 St) and will officially start at 12:00 pm.

Since we'll be outside and space may be limited, no board games please.

Chris, Bradley, and I know what each other look like and should find each other fairly quickly. For the rest, I will bring the ERE book and an ERE sign.

bradley

Post by bradley »

Though I'm sure card games would work! ;) I'll be there around 12-1.

bradley

Post by bradley »

Sorry I got held up! I actually ran into some longtime friends on the way. Sorry I couldn't make it

Chris

Post by Chris »

Hey Deskglass,

Some of us were still there but I think by the time you posted, BeyondtheWrap left and took the ERE book with him. So you would have needed to recognize us to find us. We'll have to catch you (and bradley) next time.

Chris

Post by Chris »

It was a good meetup. Thanks for organizing, BeyondtheWrap.

Topic discussed: working from home, saving personal historical artifacts, life after FI, travel being important, travel being unimportant, rent vs. buy, electrical usage, diamonds, air drying laundry, 48-cent books, bugs eating rice and beans, turning cookies into oatmeal, ergonomics, why we like board games but don't play them at ERE meetups (-:

Here is the link I mentoined about the solar powered apartment in Spain.

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

Thank you for link!