Tiny House/Small House Resources

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
peerifloori

Re: Tiny House/Small House Resources

Post by peerifloori »

I see the point of rules. I get that they work best MOST of the time for MOST of the people. But to follow a rule because it's a rule, even if it doesn't make sense, is dumb. I am happy to follow rules that make sense. There are times at work when I need to follow rules even when they don't make sense, because it is a greater benefit to have a structure than to do the most logical thing. And it's dumb. I much prefer breaking rules when they don't make sense. It's fun.

Anyway, I have no problem in admitting that my problems with rules lie entirely with me, not rules.

At any rate, this is a tangent, though I suppose it does apply to tiny houses in the sense that they are frequently "against the rules", not because they are inherently dangerous, but because they are not part of the scheme of buildings previously imagined in building code.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

George the original one wrote:
enigmaT120 wrote:In Oregon it's 80 square feet, or 8 x 10, before needing a permit.
Think it's 200 sq ft these days in Oregon, though counties make the decision. Clatsop County, Multnomah County, & Clackamas County all say 200 sq ft before permit is required.
You're right, it's 200, not 80. I would like to say they changed the rule since I last looked it up, but it's more likely that I remembered wrong.

http://www.permitsprotect.info/structural.html#4

GandK

Post by GandK »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Lots of pretty pictures ... http://tinyhousesgalore.com

A few pics of a tiny house in a pantry article ... http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/ ... your-mind/

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

"Fuck the Banks, I'll Build My Own Damn House
or
How I Learned To Stop Worrying, and Build a Custom Camper Van

Introduction
Oh boy, there's a lot to say!
My name is Sean, and I'm a 32 year old software developer. Most of my career has been in web development, but ever since I was a young lad slinging code in upstate New York, I've dreamed of making games.
In order to realize this dream -- and, honestly, just to have some fun too -- I've decided to sell all my shit, buy a van, build it out, and travel around the United States.
Because, why not? Fuck it. You only get one life, so you might as well have some fun, and chase your crazy dreams. Does anyone actually enjoy being in a cubicle, all day?

About This Document
I have attempted to catalog the build process of the van, in hopes that it will be useful in some sense, to someone, somewhere. Even at the very least of curing your boredom, temporarily, while you sit in your cubicle and pretend to work."

http://syntheti.cc/van-build/

GandK

Post by GandK »

Ecocapsule, the little egg-shaped off-grid homes that use wind and solar for electricity and capture rainwater for reuse, are now for presale: Ecocapsule is Now Taking Orders for First 50 Off-Grid Tiny Homes.

Price for one of the first batch is €80k; they "guarantee" the price will drop as more are produced.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Apparently, Texas is the place to build a tiny house

Interesting, if not bitter, take on US zoning laws WRT tiny houses.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Tiny houses with income potential for sale in Cannon Beach OR ... http://www.trulia.com/property/32238251 ... h-OR-97110

Did

Post by Did »

In Oz it is pretty well impossible. I think it is a conspiracy between the building industry and the government. If people could just live in pods, small houses, or even I think coffins (was that Thoreau?), then how would people be employed, taxes collected and so on. At least in Ireland, the old, small cottages have already been built. So they can't ban them. But I doubt they could be built now.

It really irks my single gay mate that he is essentially forced to purchase a multi hundred thousand massive family home that takes a lifetime of work to repay just to own his own place.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jennypenny wrote:Tiny houses with income potential for sale in Cannon Beach OR ... http://www.trulia.com/property/32238251 ... h-OR-97110
Believe these these would have been "motor court" motel units when originally built in 1950. Post-WWII, there were a lot of mom & pop motels like this built along Hwy 101 and other tourist destinations.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Tiny House workshop in TN in May with the Diedricksens.

I love the transparent roofing material in this one. I have a glass roof over part of my current house and I love it. No more SAD.

GandK

Post by GandK »

MarttyP wrote:What do you guys think of Condo living? I've been reading this blog on Condo lifestyle and I feel it's not that bad either. http://www.thefinancialforum.ca/blog/ge ... do-living/ Would definitely give it a try if possible.
I'm in the pro-condo camp! G and I bought ours 2 years ago for reasons #1(no yard work) and #5 (we travel a lot), and found ourselves appreciating it for all the rest as well. Our place is several buildings, so our gym and pool are down the hill instead of down the elevator, but it's equally fantastic and a perfect fit for us. Cheaper than most houses in the area, too.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I like this one. It's part of an intentional community we're considering. I wish we could do something similar with an ERE city. :(

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Living in a Pod in a San Francisco Living Room

...Moreover, I'm now only paying $508 / month to live up the street from the beach in San Francisco ($400 / month is for rent, $108 / month over the course of a year covers the full cost of construction. Building the pod cost $1300 total, $550 excluding up front capital costs).

Yes, living in a pod is silly. But the silliness is endemic to San Francisco's absurdly high housing prices - the pod is just a solution that works for me. Many people have apartments with the space/ capacity to house another person but choose not to because there isn't an attractive way to do so. Temporary partitions offer poor privacy, especially in terms of sound. They also tend to ruin whatever room they're in - you're less likely to use your living room if it doubles as a bedroom.

http://www.peteberk.com/new-blog/2016/3 ... pod-in-san

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

This is my new favorite ...

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

My wife and I purchased our home in December. Its 970 sq ft. I've come to learn from my standard American friends, family, and neighbors that this is meets their definition "tiny house". Lol!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Papers--When we bought our house it was 1600 sq ft, and everyone asked us why we bought such a small house LOL. We'd lived in a tiny row house for years and thought the house felt like a mansion.

Another tiny waterfront (my current obsession) ...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

More lake house love.

The only problem I have with these is the lack of gardening space. I'd love to build one that had a garden up the side of one wall or a turf roof with an herb garden (and a spiral staircase to access it) or both. Fresh herbs and greens combined with rice and beans would be a workable diet and easy to do in a small space like this.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@jp - Garden underwater? Seaweed and tilapias.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Today's little house love. The wooded houses have the no-place-to-garden problem just like the waterfront houses though. :(