Fitbit One and Whitings Scale

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ydobon

Re: Fitbit One and Withings scale

Post by Ydobon »

I use the Fitbit Surge for run tracking. While the GPS seems reliable enough, I'd probably use a Garmin or similar if I was in training for anything other than not being a fat ass.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Yeah I liked the look of the surge. Does it provide on screen feedback on HR zones?

I'd like a product that helps track HR zoning for HIIT, I had a HR monitor and smart phone app, but I think I'd like something easier to use and glance at (hence interest in the HR watches).

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@vexed87--They are all dead now. My family offered to buy me the new one (Alta?) for my birthday, but I can't decide if I want fitbit to get any more of my money.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

My boys bought me a new fitbit alta for mother's day because they were tired of hearing me complain about the other ones. So far, so good. I'm three days in and it still shows 1/2 of the battery life remaining. It's more comfortable and 'adult' looking. I don't think it's counting as many steps though, especially on normal activities like housework and gardening. :(

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

http://www.bloomberglaw.com/public/desk ... 1464440183

There is a class action suit against FitBit with respect to the accuracy of their heart-rate monitoring features. Apparently it isn't very good, particularly for elevated heart rates e.g. like when you are exercising.

What I find most interesting in the arguments against FitBit has to do with manditory arbitration clauses. Basically, when you buy the FitBit, you have to make an account before you can use it. To make the account, you have to agree to terms and conditions that prevent you from suing FitBit if it doesn't work/isn't accurate. So before you can even see that it isn't accurate, you have signed away your rights to legal complaints that it isn't accurate. :geek: Not that uncommon actually.

Just FYI for the FitBit enthusiasts... I don't have one. But I am thinking about getting into the fitness tracker space if people have any recommendations.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Can I just say that I hate that fitbit can't accurately account for things like gardening or landscaping?! I busted my butt in the yard this week, and my step count is down.

I suppose I should just be happy that my new fitbit is still working. :P

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:FWIW, When teaching spin I would encourage the class to cover the parts of the screen displaying miles, watts, calories burned, and heart rate, leaving only cadence visible. Instead of following the hard data I encouraged them to use perceived exertion and would constantly tell them to think about what they are feeling (40 times per class). Are you taking it easy? Can you push a little harder?

Invariable the hardcore data driven folks would reluctantly agree to me covering their screen with a sheet of paper but were always amazed at how much harder they pushed themselves and how much higher where their total watts/calories/miles when they didn't have moment by moment feedback but only gauged by feel.

My takeaway was that after a baseline fitness is reached using a data driven approach, the device begins to discourage the user to go above and beyond a particular point. In my experience, being fit is one part consistency, which the data encourages, and one part going to extremes, which the data discourages.

Activity Trackers May Undermine Weight Loss
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/well/ ... share&_r=0

After 18 months — and two years after the beginning of the study — all of the volunteers returned to the lab to repeat their measurements from the start.

Most were thinner now than at the start of the study (although many had regained some of the weight that they had lost during the first six months).

Those who had not worn activity monitors were, on average, about 13 pounds lighter now than two years ago.

Those who had worn the monitors, however, weighed only about 8 pounds less than at the start.

“People may have focused on the technology and forgotten to focus on their behaviors”

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

It probably depends on the type, too, and what you're using it for. I use a Fitbit Alta now. My favorite feature is that I can set an alarm that goes off @ :50 of every hour I haven't taken at least 250 steps. It reminds me to get up and at least stretch my legs when I'm stuck at my desk working. I don't think it's great at tracking my fitness activities (I've stopped wearing it for most of those) but I think it's good at helping people avoid being too sedentary and for tracking sleep patterns.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If anyone needs a band, the Fitbit Alta and Blaze accessory bands are half price at Dick's sporting goods. The leather bands are included in the sale. I grabbed the grey leather band for my Alta and I like it. It's more taupe than grey, which I think is better (more versatile). The extra bands for the Flex aren't on sale but I I already have a good band for that one. I wear the Flex when exercising and the Alta the rest of the day.

blackbird

Rise, Fitbit thread, rise from the grave!

Post by blackbird »

Ok, technically not a thread resurrection since Jenny provided an update last month.

I was perusing the old posts list looking for feedback on activity trackers and found this one, then read forward to watch Jenny's drama unfold with her (now 5?) numerous fitbits. So considering that these things have been out for several years now, does anyone have more to add here?

I'm interested in an activity tracker that will:

1. Track my daily steps with at least a moderate amount of accuracy (70%-80%)
2. Track my heart rate over time
3. If possible, track my sleep state
4. Provide notices to me based on pre-determined behaviors (for instance, if I have sat still for too long and need to move around a bit)

However, I DO NOT want, to the fullest extent possible, to:

1. Log-in to a website. Non-starter. I don't mind logging into a PC locally, but I'd prefer to minimize this to once a week or less.
2. Charge it frequently. I would like something that can hold a charge for several days, and when charging, charge quickly.
3. Be super careful about breaking. I want it to be hardy, and actually usable.

Anyone have input on an activity that does the first 4 items but minimizes the last three? I'm hoping that Jenny can share her thoughts as someone who has used these for an extended period of time, but I'd love to hear others' experiences as well.

Thanks!

Stahlmann

Re: .

Post by Stahlmann »

This kind of tracker is my #16 (*) thing to own. With recent "mental masturbation" (**) about harm caused by wireless devices, I hesitate.

In the past I used Sleep as Droid on Android phone. Unfortunately it sends data to "them". Didn't change my habits though. There is always next post/image/comment to read/upvote/disagree on the Internet.

You can try this with Beeminder (you pay them if you break your resolutions). Be serious with card, maybe it'll work for you (I weaseled off). Also add Pavlok, it's necessary!

I just go home by foot. I've checked the distance once with "their" help. It should be 5-6 km anyway, due to Die Wissenschaft des Meisters :P I go to bed too late, so I don't go in the morning to the work by foot. I also started to take care of hygiene in the morning (hair look very good... with shampoo as the ONLY helper) You see? This can be so simple.

I also "masturbated" to this whole hRV movement (of course the whole energy dropped after the fact this small device cost like 1/4 of my monthly pay...). I think... the truth is if you spot measure outside the range ANYTIME during the day, that means you need to work up your health (yep, I know it's difficult to find time to make random measurement as you are "real adult TM").

This brings me to answer your first question...

My friends use Xiaomi bands. I don't know if this Xioami hype attacked USA, but their stuff is usable.

(*) I just make up this number. Electronic is not so cheap in my country. I also try to learn to be more productive in ERE terms.
I don't think "Well, 10 last "hobbies" didn't interest me so this time I'll focus my 120% attention to this gadget"-attitude will work.

(**) I'm open to any explanation like this one in global warming topic. Too tired to be expert in everything as "real life adult TM". As my (at least) mind is prone to stuff described in "Think Fast and slow", I feel bit overwhelmed...

Smashter

Re: Rise, Fitbit thread, rise from the grave!

Post by Smashter »

blackbird wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 pm
I have a Fitbit Alta HR, and I think it would suit you well.

It has a very long battery life, especially if you disable the function where it activates the screen every time you move your wrist.

I've worn it daily for about a year and have had no issues. I really like the hourly reminders to get a certain amount of steps, as it's one of the few things that can pull me away from my computer.

Just be careful that you don't get too addicted a la David Sedaris :) https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014 ... ping-out-3

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'd be game for another round. I'll try to pick up a Zip on eBay for $40. I got some spare batteries.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Why is the title of the thread blank? Weird.

I still wear my Alta every day. I'd sign up again if people want to do another challenge. We could start May 1.

jennypenny

Re: fitbit One and Withings scale

Post by jennypenny »

Ok, I'm set up and rejoined the group.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Joined the group also, ready for some humiliation.
The title of the thread is very weird though, what happened?
I have zero idea how challenges are started so I'll just tag along in the very beginning

Stahlmann

Re: . This is what will be seen at feed

Post by Stahlmann »

Take a look at title, folks :p !

Will look again for this device, I'll maybe join the ride.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

It's a new month so the start of a new challenge in the fitbit group. You can join here ... https://www.fitbit.com/group/22QL7X

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Great!
Does one have to accept the challenge or if we are part of the group then it's automatic?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You don't have to do anything other than join the group. It maintains a leader board. I forget whether it works on a rolling 30 day basis or it resets every month.

I suspect the reason for the weird title is that the OP changed it to "." and then deleted their post. There's no way I can or at least know how to change it since I can't go in and edit the title of the missing post.