What do YOU want?

Favorite quotations, etc.
GandK

Re: What do YOU want?

Post by GandK »

7Wannabe5 wrote:@Did: All hopeless romantics never or rarely get laid.
I beg to differ. :D :D :D

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@GandK:

Maybe it's just hopeless romantics who dine primarily on beans that don't get laid.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's a pill for that! :lol:
http://www.beanogas.com/

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

For a group that's often accused of living lives that are too austere, we spend an awful lot of time talking about food, booze, and sex. :lol:

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The low cost solution would be to arrange them in the order of booze, then sex, then food. That would save on the beano too :mrgreen:

Ego

Post by Ego »

We went back to Soylent Towers for a little coffee and cake with the new manager in the meeting room. One of the senior tenants complained bitterly that there were too many of us and that there was just too much activity in the hallway... on Sunday at noon.

Moving 'away from those people' means that the place where you decide to live is defined by 'those people'. You are at their mercy.

One of the defining characteristics of my Soylent-seniors is that they are continually adding new requirements to their safe-spaces. Money buys EREers the ability to foster this characteristic much earlier in life. It ain't gonna be pretty.

This is the opposite of resilience.

Dave

Post by Dave »

@Ego - There is a really interesting perspective.

I agree with you that having the mental and financial wherewithal to construct your "perfect" life may bring about a desire (stemming from the ability) to maintain a death grip level of control on your life. We sort of see some of that here on the forums.

On the other hand, many EREs are able to develop an appreciation of a simpler life and to adapt to environments that others may consider challenging.

I am not sure which of these factors would (generally) take precedence. My guess is it varies by individual.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Dave, I want to make sure it is clear that I wasn't commenting on your (or anyone's) plans. I focused on the meme and agreed with oldpro about the wording.

Right now we're living in the middle of the action in our city. I have to admit, it took me a few nights to get used to sleeping here with the windows open. After a month now I am sleeping like a baby. Like you, I see it as adapting to environments.

I guess that's probably the key. If we are going somewhere to BE there.... then yes, I agree. If we are going somewhere for no other reason than to be away from others then it is probably a Soylent solution.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Paul Graham did an essay about how much of the news is generated by PR firms, and how to find it.

http://www.paulgraham.com/submarine.html

I expect the meme in the OP was a product of a PR firm, and the phrasing intentional. Anything that helps a group define itself, helps marketers to sell to them.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

jennypenny wrote:For a group that's often accused of living lives that are too austere, we spend an awful lot of time talking about food, booze, and sex. :lol:
Well, this is what everyone does when not at work, right? :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Well, food, booze, sex, and the interwebs ...

AND/OR=XOR TPS reports ;-P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I thought the definitive answer to this was "a zig-a-zig ahh".

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Riggerjack wrote:Paul Graham did an essay about how much of the news is generated by PR firms, and how to find it.

http://www.paulgraham.com/submarine.html

I expect the meme in the OP was a product of a PR firm, and the phrasing intentional. Anything that helps a group define itself, helps marketers to sell to them.

You have no idea. Be prepared to be afraid.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Nice link!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

fiby41 wrote:Here's another image of 'cabin in the woods'.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/O0T5f ... 69-h848-rw

Fixed link. Imaginary but still.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I read the Nearing book back when I was in high school and decided I wanted something like that postcard above. I had grown up in a city and didn't understand what it meant to live in a place like that but I was enchanted with the idea of building something out of stone (still am).

Once I had the opportunity to actually experience it I realized that what I had wanted was the postcard, not the reality.

I now know that I really like small spaces in big cities. Not terribly romantic, I know. Somehow the stars aligned ;) and we were offered a position managing a building full of micro-apartments with roll-out Murphy beds in the heart of our city. These places are so small they would never pass code if the building was being built today.

I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky that somehow my brain recalibrates my wants to match what I already have.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Ego wrote:I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky that somehow my brain recalibrates my wants to match what I already have.
If so, that really is lucky. :D There's your privilege.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

fiby41 wrote:
fiby41 wrote:Here's another image of 'cabin in the woods'.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/O0T5f ... 69-h848-rw

Fixed link. Imaginary but still.
I find this appealing. I'll have to think about why. Maybe because I'd like to just piss off at times and have lots of quiet time.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Ego wrote:I read the Nearing book back when I was in high school and decided I wanted something like that postcard above. I had grown up in a city and didn't understand what it meant to live in a place like that but I was enchanted with the idea of building something out of stone (still am).

Once I had the opportunity to actually experience it I realized that what I had wanted was the postcard, not the reality.

I now know that I really like small spaces in big cities. Not terribly romantic, I know. Somehow the stars aligned ;) and we were offered a position managing a building full of micro-apartments with roll-out Murphy beds in the heart of our city. These places are so small they would never pass code if the building was being built today.

I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky that somehow my brain recalibrates my wants to match what I already have.
When I was at university I had a lot of holidays. I remember living on a friends parents farm in the shed out the back. We smoked pot and surfed every day. I loved it. Its one of the best times of my life.

I also though love my life now however I'd prefer not to have to go to work.

I think I like simple stuff. All I really need is decent food, regular exercise and books to read. Now I suppose I also need the Internet to post stuff like now or get some TV shows or movies to watch. I ride my bike to the gym and one guy who I think is at uni whereas I'm 42 said geez it'd suck not being able to afford a car. I don't even want to drive a car. I prefer riding my bike.

jbrown79

Post by jbrown79 »

Of course I want money. For my children and grandchildren's future, for my whims and needs, and to fulfill my goal of traveling the world! But, in reality living in a cabin in the woods or even in a tiny hut facing the beach with peace of mind is far more meaningful than having all the money in the world.