Kashi bar recipe?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
George the original one

Kashi bar recipe?

Post by George the original one »

I clearly remember somebody had worked out a recipe for Kashi bars... search hasn't found it, so has my memory developed a hole or does the post not survive?

As I recall, they had figured out the chewy texture and sourced the individual grains (rather than using Kashi cereal).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Kashi bar recipe?

Post by jacob »

Do you mean some form of gooey granola bar or ... napalm? 8-)

How to make "gooey" ... (or napalm)
1) Get some oil (olive, coconut, diesel, ...)
2) Get some sugar (or honey, maple, ...)
Locate nearest fire extinguisher, check home owner's insurance, then combine under heat and stir a lot.

Prepare filler/shrapnel ...
1) Put oats, nuts, rusty nails, ... on pan.
2) Heat in oven until scorched or golden brown ... (I'm told this is a matter of perspective)

Under a full moon or at least under the authority of the military industrial complex:
1) Mix the two together in a baking pan. Bake, just for show, ... then cool and cut.

If you're totally ghetto, you can just do all this semi-simultaneously in a pan.

That's just the gist of it. The exact measurements are, of course, classified.

PS: I don't recall an exact replica formula posted here?! Doesn't mean it doesn't exist/wasn't here. I only remember 98% of what's posted here :geek:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

These are the two I have bookmarked from here ...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7442/diy ... -bars.html

http://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-in ... nola-bars/

JasonR also posted a muesli recipe at one point.

I can't do oats anymore, so I haven't made any in a while. I want to try making my own puffed rice so I can use that as a base.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@jp - I hope you have a pressure cooker. If not, the ratio probably varies.

Boil/pressure cook the rice in a 1 rice to 1.5 water ratio. This makes for "dry" rice.

Fry the result in oil for 1 minute.

There you go.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Do you use sticky rice or regular rice? I've read conflicting recommendations.

I also want to try tikkis and puffed rice honey balls with it.
Last edited by jennypenny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Either way. My fudge factor is large.

Sticky rice will semi-stick on its own, like sushi, especially when treating it like sushi rice (sugar and vinegar, see above)

Regular rice will not.

PS: I'm trying to encourage experimentation-thinking over recipe-thinking, see above.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

jacob wrote:PS: I'm trying to encourage experimentation-thinking over recipe-thinking, see above.
I dunno. I think it helps to learn the basics first through recipes. You know ... learn the rules, then break them.

Now I'm hungry again. What gives with the food focus on the forum lately? :P

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Calories are still cheap. Just break'em.

Explore the frontier already!

George the original one

jacob wrote:My fudge factor is large.
My DW makes good fudge :twisted:

George the original one

jacob wrote:PS: I don't recall an exact replica formula posted here?! Doesn't mean it doesn't exist/wasn't here. I only remember 98% of what's posted here :geek:
It wasn't the recipe. Someone like 7wannabe5 said they'd figured it out, but didn't post the recipe, just talked about getting the right chewy texture after several experiments and sourcing the 7 grains. At the time I had no desire for granola bars, didn't know what Kashi bars were, and mentally filed it as a curiosity.

Fast forward a couple years and then I find myself shopping for granola bars to take with my fishing gear as breakfast and quickly realizing that Kashi makes the best (for a price). Silly thing tickles my memory and now that retirement is in progress, decide that it is time to go searching for that post to pester whoever it was that didn't post a recipe!

George the original one

@jennypenny - I saw those recipes before and gagged because I'm not that fond of peanut butter. Occasionally, I'll binge on peanut butter & crackers or a toasted peanut butter sandwich. And am always fond of peanut butter cookies and haystacks/mountain bars. But I just don't want it in my casual snacks. It was something that snapped inside me about 4th grade, like I quit liking bananas about 1st grade.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Xanthan gum and agar agar are good, non-explosive, healthy thickening alternatives to jacob's monstrosity above

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2011/1 ... -free.html

GandK

Post by GandK »

Typing "Kashi bar recipe" into Google yielded a ton of recipes. If it were me, I'd grab one of those and modify it according to my tastes.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I was attempting to make the very high-protein version, using no peanuts (since I am deathly allergic), and as cheaply as possible. My best version used vanilla whey protein powder purchased in the big jug on sale, sturdy oats and sunflower seeds. The easiest and most "ghetto" way to make sticky stuff is to combine oil and marshmallows in microwave in glass bowl and stir frequently. I always use a microwave (if available) for any kind of candy recipe. If you aren't shooting for high-protein or heat-stable, all you have to do is follow recipe for Rice Krispie Treats using whatever is the most nutritious/delicious cereal on sale at Dollar Tree, and make the individual wrappers out of something like wax paper. OTOH, all you are really doing here is making a crispy oatmeal cookie, but combining and cooking the ingredients in a different order. I think a couple sturdy, lumpy, large diameter homemade cookies stuck together with some homemade sunflower seed butter, an apple, maybe a few cubes of cheddar cheese, and a thermos of coffee would be good for an autumn hike in Michigan. YMMV.